MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
05 F4 10K on it, newish (1 yr) old battery Speedcell Lithium always unplugged after each ride.
Went out to gas up after sitting in the garage for 3-4weeks, in about 5 min of ride to the gas station, the throttle response was an bubbly gargling acceleration??? downshifted and twisted the throttle not much power just gargling, twisted the throttle again a few times with the clutch disengaged after a few seconds engaged into first gear gently released the clutch and it got back to normal throttle response. What the heck just happened???:confused:

It started and warmed up normally.

Got to the gas station ok, only took aprox. 2.5gal to top it off, so it wasn't empty tank syndrome, so what the heck was that?
Got home ok, yesterday took out for a ride and no problems.

Anyone has had this type of occurrence before?
Does anyone knows what make this to happen?

Thanks

·
Registered
419 Posts
Possibly contaminated fuel by degraded fuel lines in the tank. My 04 EVO3 wouldn't start a couple of weeks ago and i finally traced it to a disintegrated line in the fuel tank (the one from the fuel filter). Could be that bits are floating around in your tank causing momentary hesitation (or not).
Good luck.

·
Administrator
18,853 Posts
Thank Ethanol gas for your fun....1 to 2 week shelf life.

Partly blocked injectors from the E10 sludge or fouled plugs from the degraded gas octane level.

Get an ethanol treatment and use religiously. I've been very happy with StarTron for a few years but have recently started using a new Liquid Performance product.
http://www.liquidperformance.com/motorcycle/performance/ethanol-equalizer/

·
Registered
890 Posts
you poor guys in the US. here in europe, we had a strong enough lobby
to keep the low ethanol fuel available everywhere.

·
Administrator
18,853 Posts
E10 is the low ethanol....they're lobbying for E15 now !!!!
We can still get Non-Ethanol fuel, but you have to look for it. Marinas carry it because boat engines are very allergic to ethanol.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Do a google search for "ethanol free gasoline." You will be able to find it in your area.

Oh, wait. You're in California.

Tough darts, farmer.

·
Registered
517 Posts
So what's the recommended minimum octane rating for ethanol free gas? The best I can find in my area is 89 or 90. Will that suffice or can it lead to more problems?

·
Administrator
18,853 Posts
89 - 90 will be just fine. MV calls for minimum 90 (R+M/2)....I run 89 almost exclusively. Ethanol free gas of 89 is a better gas than 91 E10.

As a rule, you should not run a higher octane gas than is required to prevent "knock". Anything higher (in pump gas) is a waste of money, will produce no more measurable power and will contribute to carbon deposits in your engine.

"Race" gas, on the other hand, is a different animal......but do you need it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts