MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this has been beat to death like oil and yes I've searched both here and on Google. Does anyone have input on this beyond an opinion? Meaning has any legitimate organization done any actual testing? For example, two brand new bikes one following the manual/factory recommendations vs ride it like you stole it or the Motoman break-in compared at different intervals on the dyno and then ridden for thousands of miles.

Why on earth would the manufacturer tell you to break it in a certain way if it could potentially be harmful?

Thanks!

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have a this dilemma at the moment. Taking delivery of my new F3 800 soon and trying to decide how to run it in. I don't think I'll be able resist thrashing the nuts off it but that said I don't want to jeopardise my warranty so I may have to take it steady for 600 miles.

·
Super Moderator
22,501 Posts
The only thing you don't want to do is maintain constant RPM and load for extended periods. If you run it like you ride it, you will be fine. Just don't do a 600 mile highway drone.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
The greatest reason for the run in period is to run in the tyres, brakes and you.

Could you imagine if manufacturers told you it's run in already and just give it the beans from the showroom, some idiots would be skidding off at the first corner they came across and then blaming the manufacturer.

Even the most experienced of riders need to acclimatise themselves to a new bike especially if coming from a different engine size or type, or style of bike but most will have worked it all out within a couple hundred miles and by then the tyres and brakes are bedded in to.

I wouldn't go around bouncing it off the rev limiter but I wouldn't pussy foot around it either :)

·
Registered
342 Posts
I know this has been beat to death like oil and yes I've searched both here and on Google. Does anyone have input on this beyond an opinion? Meaning has any legitimate organization done any actual testing? For example, two brand new bikes one following the manual/factory recommendations vs ride it like you stole it or the Motoman break-in compared at different intervals on the dyno and then ridden for thousands of miles.

Why on earth would the manufacturer tell you to break it in a certain way if it could potentially be harmful?

Thanks!
If you want to do what is best for the business to put the most money in their pockets follow their guidelines.

IF you want to do what is best for you have to break the bike in hard there is no other way.

You can be the guys you see all over the net selling their bike with only 1k miles on it if you fail to break the bike in right. You will have low hp, burn oil and have a crap bike forever so you do your best to hawk it off to get another shot of breaking in your bike right.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Out of few bikes I own, the F3 was the first and only I broke in at the track. I rode it medium hard but not as a maniac. So shifting up and down as you do at a track obviously but not trying to beat my fastest laps.

And so far this has been the only MV I have that I did not have to turn in with a problem. I own 2 F4's and a Brutale besides the F3. All the ones I broke in as per manual, I had leaks, radiator problems, electrical issues, etc, ect. So I am not being gentle ever again on a new bike.

·
Vendor
5,373 Posts
The only thing you don't want to do is maintain constant RPM and load for extended periods. If you run it like you ride it, you will be fine. Just don't do a 600 mile highway drone.
I totally agree with Chuck,stay away from motorways if possible and find some mountain roads,on and off the throttle,don't baby it so the motor can settle in on all the rev range.Keep it revving and under load.

·
Registered
301 Posts
There's formulas/theories out there telling you exactly how to increase your rev range with miles and blah blah blah. I agree with Mitch and Chuck. Keep it under load as much as you can (0%/100% throttle), and slowly increase your rev range over the first few hundred miles.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
The greatest reason for the run in period is to run in the tyres, brakes and you.

Could you imagine if manufacturers told you it's run in already and just give it the beans from the showroom, some idiots would be skidding off at the first corner they came across and then blaming the manufacturer.

Even the most experienced of riders need to acclimatise themselves to a new bike especially if coming from a different engine size or type, or style of bike but most will have worked it all out within a couple hundred miles and by then the tyres and brakes are bedded in to.

I wouldn't go around bouncing it off the rev limiter but I wouldn't pussy foot around it either :)
A couple of hundred miles to break in brakes or scrub tyres, now that's almost as funny as the guy on the UK forum who says he warms is bike up so the wheel bearing heats up before he goes faster.
Come on Ackers, you know that's nonsense mate, unless you're plodding around town, it takes no more than mere minutes to bed brakes in and not much longer to scrub new tyres.

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
A couple of hundred miles to break in brakes or scrub tyres, now that's almost as funny as the guy on the UK forum who says he warms is bike up so the wheel bearing heats up before he goes faster.
Come on Ackers, you know that's nonsense mate, unless you're plodding around town, it takes no more than mere minutes to bed brakes in and not much longer to scrub new tyres.
Donsy; one Spring Fritz Egli had me bedding in brake pads....one trip down the test road lightly heating them, haul ass back up the hill and the kids would throw another set on.....then do it over again

the pads went back in the packages marked R or L

:naughty:

you bought a new bike.....the pads were already bedded :drummer:

and the tires had been scrubbed down with lacquer thinner

·
Registered
2,213 Posts

I think I was implying more that it's to bed the rider in more than anything else, sure you can spend 5 mins on a quiet roundabout and scrub in a set of tyres easily, likewise the brakes but as I said what's to stop someone walking out of a test centre with their new licence or someone who's returning to bikes after 30yrs and walking straight into a showroom and riding off on a 180bhp motorbike, do you think it's wise the dealer says "yeah it's a pussy mate just like your CB125, just go round that roundabout twice to scrub the tyres then give it the beans you'll be fine"

One things for sure they won't be back for its 1st service!

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Clearly some people just don't have the experience you have Donsy and when they walk in off the street the bike dealer doesn't know that either so it's best to air on the side of caution when giving advice?

http://youtu.be/Q9zNUPDmnz4

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
It's not just my experience Chris, say it how it is mate.
If a dealer let's you ride out the door with tyres like that, I'll walk back and punch the prick in the face.
Either way, you don't need a couple of hundred miles to get tyres and brakes sorted.

Differentiate between mechanical and physical ability's.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Things are obviously very different over here then Donsey. Dealers don't scrub your tyres in for you, they just peel the stickers off. Maybe that's why they tell you to take it easy for the first 100 miles so that they don't get irate customers coming back and punching them in the face? :laughing:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yes and about a hundred other ones... Like I said, don't rev the piss out of it but put pressure on the rings, that means open the throttle or close it. Engine breaking puts just as much pressure on the rings as opening it all the way. Just don't sit at one constant speed with your throttle locked at 50% and it'll be fine.

·
Super Moderator
22,501 Posts
I'm thinking of starting "What does 'scrubbing in' your tyres" mean thread.......:popcorn::smoking:

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Ive never listened to the dealer. And quite frankly nobody ever gets a engine that has never been turned over. Every engine from any manufacturer gets tested and dynoed before you even get to it. If snything i always try to make the engine work by putting it in a 6 th gear starting from low rpm and opening the throttle to get the revs to redline then back down again. I do this especially on inclines. As for scrubbing in tyres might take me no less than 30 mins depending where i am and what im doing. Nowhere near what some people here think. Im being generous could be even 15 mins. But i guess everyone is confident in there own skills and tyres so for me the second i have a new set on im pushing left and right on the bars and making those tyres grip all over the circumfrence of the tyres profiles doing zig zags or pretending to go between cones. Low and behd the wax is gone and the tyres rubber is nice and rough.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 20 of 35 Posts