MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I discovered on my newly purchased Brutale that the chain was way to tight.
Trying to loosen the pinch bolts unveiled that the hexagon of one pinch bolt socket was round.
An ordinary retractor from ACE hardware leaded, because of the small square end, to a broken 7mm spanner, a slipping trough 12 point socket, other broken things and scraped off skin on my thumb.
The pinch bolt didn't move at all.
So I went to McMaster again and ordered the One Step socket bolt extractor kit.
Yesterday evening the kit arrived.
Today the bolt was history, no drilling required, the 12mm extractor worked like a charm.
Just to let You guys know what You need in Your tool box.

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
You can see them in the blue pouch in the photo and the 12mm tool is fitted into the socket head screw on the swingarm. He bought a metric set. Lots of good stuff from McMaster-Carr: I've been buying from them for over 30 years and never been disappointed.

Eric

·
Vendor
5,337 Posts
I discovered on my newly purchased Brutale that the chain was way to tight.
Trying to loosen the pinch bolts unveiled that the hexagon of one pinch bolt socket was round.
An ordinary retractor from ACE hardware leaded, because of the small square end, to a broken 7mm spanner, a slipping trough 12 point socket, other broken things and scraped off skin on my thumb.
The pinch bolt didn't move at all.
So I went to McMaster again and ordered the One Step socket bolt extractor kit.
Yesterday evening the kit arrived.
Today the bolt was history, no drilling required, the 12mm extractor worked like a charm.
Just to let You guys know what You need in Your tool box.
Well done,thanks for sharing:yo:

·
Registered
819 Posts
I'm having trouble seeing how this "tool" would work. It appears they are simple hex keys(hex bar stock) that one would beat into the rounded hole and then once firmly seated into the marred metal use a wrench to back out the bolt like using a normal socket drive, yes?

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
I'm having trouble seeing how this "tool" would work. It appears they are simple hex keys(hex bar stock) that one would beat into the rounded hole and then once firmly seated into the marred metal use a wrench to back out the bolt like using a normal socket drive, yes?
That's about the gist of it I believe :)

One can't help but wonder how on earth a brand new pinch bolt would be so tight as to round out the hex. I have worked on many hundreds of MV Bolts and the metal has never rounded off like that...The plating is rubbish but the steel seems to be pretty good.

joe

·
Administrator
19,860 Posts
Extremely hard steel, slight taper on the end to insert into the socket recess. Some come with spiral fltes that pull the tool in as it os turned anti-clockwise.
There is another variation that goes over the outside of the bolt head with internal spirals that pull it down onto the bolt as you turn anti-clockwise. Frequently used to remove "anti-theft" wheel lug nuts with striped out internal splines (or to allow a thief to nick your trick wheels).
Sears sells them, among other companies.

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
Interesting and good suggestion! I did not know this tool at all... But that's me of course :)

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
If the pinch bolt was that tight then I suspect the bearings in the hub to be suspect. Certainly if it were mine I would be pulling it out and replacing the double row bearing and a good inspection of the remains. lots of grease and a re-build.

jimboF4

·
Vendor
5,337 Posts
You can also take Noel's approach if you have access to a welder as a last resort. IMG_20131217_155257_237.jpg

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So guys here from left to right what I used or had for a back up.
Left - The Ace Hardware retractor which caused multiple difficulties and brocken tools, because of the small square end which is not a quarter inch or anything which fits properly or can handle the force.
Middle - Slightly tapered ends which You simply drive with a hammer into the socket head. Than You take a six point socket, in my case 13mm, and presto.
Right - Not yet tried, but this was my back up idea if the middle would have failed.

Attachments

·
Vendor
5,337 Posts
Brian,that is Noel's handywork,not mine.Noel was very clever to strip the hub out of his customers bike.Every part including axle was stripped or siezed,a real mess.Noel sent me photos (worst I have ever seen).:jsm:

·
Registered
14,506 Posts
ugly stuff?

Brian;
just sent you the pictures too.....

it took a 4lb single jack to beat the axle out:wtf:

I'll make an adapter for my Port-a-Power, 20,000lbs of pressure should do it.....it it doesn't tear the end of the hub off:naughty:

the outer race of the 3810 broke radially tapping it out with a brass punch:jsm:

the TIG machine didn't expand the inner race enough for it to fall off....even though I melted the middle ridge down, so I notched the inner with a grinder.....now, too annealed to crack:wtf:

a bearing separator got it off

next inner race like that......Victor 550 J cutting torch! why waste time?

it won't hurt the axle .....it's too fast :naughty:

I very rarely use EasyOuts or other extractors.....yes, I know the Tap-Ex guy......he EDMs broken ones out......none of mine yet :drummer:

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Just seen those photos you sent me Noel.....Crazy Stuff!!..........these guys aren't butchers..,they're SAVAGES!!
Brian.

·
Registered
619 Posts
So happy my F4 axle nut can off with no trouble, I am the first and only to adjust chain and rides height, all bolts still have factory witness marks, hub inspection and service is next
I have been a maintenance tech for most of my life. (Heating/AC refrigeration, autos ASE certified, body shop & paint, home and commercial electrical, construction, aircraft maintenance/overhaul)
I have all of the types of extractors you can imagine. They each have a use.
Had to have several expensive aircraft parts sent to EDM, pricey but worth it!
Just finished drilling out broken exhaust studs in situ on a Chevy van, sucked.

Ed :)

·
Super Moderator
22,357 Posts
My next challenge, bolt wise, will be removing a broken exhaust bolt on my 312R. One of the two that hold the two halves of the slip-ons together.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
As my project is finished my stock 312R will be coming into the hangar next spring for tlc. I'll make a point of going around it putting copperslip on bolts... I may have them all plated first too. Stock plating is a bit marginal to say the best.

joe

1 - 20 of 25 Posts