MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
i would only attempt such a feat on the track after a lot of laps.

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
Very fascinating! thanks for the posting.

Rossi's visualization ability, a long with his riding skill is so finely tuned that this is not only possible, it's almost second nature...

from my personal experience it is perfectly possible, no, I am not pretending to be Rossi, I mean my experience on cello and combat shooting... I can give example in both area but I will give my example in my pistol shooting, which I think would be easier to understand and more similar.

About 8 years ago, I was training for the "handgun master" certification test at my tactical school, a part of the test commonly know as the "basic school" involves the shooters from standing, drawing their pistol from holster, fire 2 rounds into the center mass of the target from 1 meter all the way out to 50 meters under preset time limit, i.e. 1 second @ 1 meter, 1.2 second @ 5 meters, 1.5 second @ 10 meters. 1.7 second @ 15 meters, etc, the instructors used a timer and starts each shoot with it sounding a loud beep then it records the time of each rounds fired automatically(sound activated).

The best way to prepare for this is to develop speed, accuracy through proper muscle memory and precise eye/hand coordination. one of the training drill we did was shooting the target from 15 meters but with a major twist: we looked at the target for a few seconds and was told to shut our eyes, then did the shoot with our eyes closed, timer and all, and I can say from personal experience that it's perfectly possible to put rounds inside a circle about the size of an open hand over and over, under time pressure... that is if one has invest the time and energy to practice properly.

Rossi clearly has achieved an extremely high level of skill and control, this story just further proves it... :guitarist :drummer: :guitarist

·
Registered
403 Posts
"we looked at the target for a few seconds and was told to shut our eyes, then did the shoot with our eyes closed"

use the Force, Luke...

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
odonata said:
we looked at the target for a few seconds and was told to shut our eyes, then did the shoot with our eyes closed, timer and all, and I can say from personal experience that it's perfectly possible to put rounds inside a circle about the size of an open hand over and over, under time pressure... that is if one has invest the time and energy to practice properly.
Damn, that's a good idea.

I think I'll try this at the track. Just close my eyes as I ride around a few laps! Use the "force"!!! :eek:

Alex

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
Alex, I just remember reading a story somewhere about Kenny Roberts Sr., it was an article about visualization, supposely he was in his trailer before a very important race and needed to shave 2 seconds a lap in order to win(or get the pole), and he lay down on his bed and shut his eyes for a while and said: "I found it, I know how I can shave off the 2 seconds..." and sure enough he did.

no, he didn't ride the race with eyes closed.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I did that, and got smacked by many people. People at the track coaching me, as well as when I started out riding. I explained it the same way "I use periphreal vision to see where I'm going, but look at where I'm at for patches of sand/debris(on the street), and how to adjust my line midcorner on the track....." I kept getting slapped saying it was wrong.....bastards.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
odonata said:
Alex, I just remember reading a story somewhere about Kenny Roberts Sr., it was an article about visualization, supposely he was in his trailer before a very important race and needed to shave 2 seconds a lap in order to win(or get the pole), and he lay down on his bed and shut his eyes for a while and said: "I found it, I know how I can shave off the 2 seconds..." and sure enough he did.

no, he didn't ride the race with eyes closed.
ben,

just giving you a hard time about the "shoting with my eyes closed" stuff. hell, michael jordan sank a freethrow with his eyes closed, on a dare from dikembe mutombo. yeah, it works.

and considering how much i think about riding, i should be all set for a new lap record at willow next wednesday! with my eyes closed, of course. LOL.

alex

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
altoon said:
ben,

just giving you a hard time about the "shoting with my eyes closed" stuff. hell, michael jordan sank a freethrow with his eyes closed, on a dare from dikembe mutombo. yeah, it works.

and considering how much i think about riding, i should be all set for a new lap record at willow next wednesday! with my eyes closed, of course. LOL.

alex
Alex, I know! :) I was lazy and didn't reply "advanced" and use any smilies so maybe it seem like I was unhappy or defensive? nah, not at all! I just happened to remember that story because you got me thinking about riding without seeing.

I have done some drills on my road bike with eyes closed or looking away briefly... I wonder if anybody is capable of doing(or have done) a lap on their favorite tract with eyes closed(car of bike)?

·
Registered
403 Posts
More About Rossi: watching him riding in Catalunya, I understood better why he's Rossi, and other riders are simply good riders.
He's surgically perfect, that's why they call him the Doctor. He puts his wheels where no one does, about 1 cm from racetrack border, nothing more, nothing less in EVERY lap :eek:

He's faster than anyone in changing directions, takes 1 or 2 meters forward compare to others.
Seeing him live is quite impressive :smoking:

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I taught him everything I know. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts