MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting a new thread for Roger Craig so that he can post on his 350B.
Don't ask why.........:banghead:

OK Roger.......it's all yours. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
how can I insert pictures in thread notes

This is working not bad. Lots of folks willing to share lore. I really appreciate it.

I still need some advise. When I try to imbed a photograph here it prompts me for a http address for the photo. Is it possible to insert photos from my files (jpg images)? Or do I need to set up a web site to hold pictures to share?

Roger

·
Super Moderator
22,850 Posts
Use the "go advanced" feature and simply upload photos from your files.

·
Administrator
20,760 Posts
You can add photos from a file. When you go advanced and select manage attachments the window pops up where you can browse for the file you want. Note size limits. You may need to resize a big photo.

·
Registered
37 Posts
esq'z me

Hooray, thanks a bunch. I'l be cruising now.

Speaking about "used to be fast....." I have old Porsches. Someone pointed out to me a newish one, the kind that go really, really, scary fast, and asked me what I thought about it. (they're a lot cheaper that the vintage (356s, that is) ones). I said they're beautifully engineered and super quality construction, and they're fairly quiet, thanks to the German's with their delicate ears. But, I said, I'm not into fast, I'm into loud. (I'm old and loud is safer than fast).

So my message is "its more fun to drive a slow (and loud) car fast, than a fast (and quiet) car slow"

Roger

·
Registered
37 Posts
350B fitting on the fairing

I am now mounting a fairing on my 350B. I am informed that this fairing, and its mounting brackets, originally came with this moto. I see no reason to question this, but I would appreciate any comments.

I would like to discuss and share the details of what I am doing. The attached photos are as follows.

The first one is of the bike with the fairing just set on. The rear mounts are in place, but the front mount is not yet in place.

The second one is the fairing alone.

The next two photos show the, in place, rear mount and the front mount alone.

The last photo shows the front mount in place before restoration work was done (in Italy). From this photo I can see the orientation of the front mount, and it suggests that the usual "ear" brackets that hold the lamp housing onto the steering post are not in place. I wonder if they need to be removed or could they be just swung aside to accommodate this front mount. Any thoughts?

The bike will be shown at the May Sonoma/Marin concourse near San Francisco where they are featuring vintage Italian motos. This will be the first public appearance of this moto in the US. Its not even registered here. And this fairing must be on.

This is where I am in the process and I would appreciate any comments of how to do stuff and anything else.

Roger

Attachments

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
The last picture doesn't look like from the same bike Roger. Or was it taken before restoring ? However it looks really nice and that is a cool looking fairing there. I haven't seen that on any 350 before. Surely yummy.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hi Roger.

One reason you might have problems with the fairing and brackets is that there not MV.

The mountings of the original fairing are different to what you have but if it fitted before i'm sure it will be OK. Have a look at period pics and you will see the different shape of the factory fairing.

The 125 Sport, 350B Sport and Ipotesi fairings are all the same, give or take a few minor details for kickstart clearance, headlamp hole etc.

All the best.

Dorian.

·
Registered
37 Posts
haupti

Yes the photo was taken just before cosmetic restoration took place.

Regarding the fairing......I copied the picture of the 350B, with fairing, from the big MV book (MOTO MV AGUSTA, Colombo etc.) and printed it together with pictures of my fairing. I don't know whether they made different versions, but mine seems very similar to the one in the book. The only differences are slight, the color (red/white) is reversed, and the decals are placed differently. Also the detail of the shape around the exhaust pipe is different, and mine has a buldge at the lower area that the picture doesn't show. But they're pretty close. I wonder if anyone out there has some pictures to compare.

Roger

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Dorian

The reply with the pictures above was to be sent in response to a comment from haupti, noting that he had not seen that fairing on a 350B. I hadn't seen one either, but that doesn't surprise me because mine is the only 350B that I've seen! Aside from pictures.

I am also not surprised that the front mount is not original. It has a "home made" look about it. How about the fittings that are at the rear of the mount, fastening to the motor? Do they look like originally supplied?

Does anyone have an example of an original front mount? Be neat to see that.

Ride safely,

Roger

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hi Roger.

There is nothing even similar about your fairing compared to an original MV one. All the things you mention and many more differences that i can see point to it being off something else. This is not a complaint as i think it looks fine as it is it's nice to something different for a change. It also looks period as well which is nice.

The fairing brackets were very similar for all the bikes i mentioned in my other reply. The rear bracket mounting points were obviously wider on the twins compared to the single (they used the rear cylinder mounting nuts). The front bracket was somewhat unique for the 350 B as it had to miss the steering lock. This was not a problem on the later Ipotesi as the lock was in the ignition key.

Picture attached of a set for the 350B so you can see what they should be like.

Cheers.

Dorian.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
haupti

Yes, the last photo is from the moto before any restoritive work was done.

I keep sending this comment to a haupti message, but it keeps being associated with the above note from Dorian. My apologies for not being more adept with this intriguing site.

I'm even having trouble learning to safely control my "new" 350B with its reversed controls.

But I will get better.

Roger

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks Dorian

These brackets really don't look home made.

Now the big question is "how do I get me one of them?"

Maybe I'll try to sanitize mine up a bit.

But it does look cool with the fairing on!

Ride safely,
Roger

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Look what I've started.......:jerkoff:

·
Registered
576 Posts
Roger.

Same old problem i'm afraid, i have a new fairing and brackets but there is no way of getting them to the USA without mega expence, way more than the price of the goods usualy!

Dorian.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Roger I like Your bike and I think Your fairing looks cool / great. And that is the point. That the fairing is not an original fairing is negligible in my books.
My 350s are bastards and would not gain any price at a concours de elegance.
The one was originally a Turismo and got changed to look like a Sport by the former owner. Who road it for roughly 30 years in Italy.
The other is a racer and was build by an Italian out of a Tipo 216 frame with a 350B engine back in the eighties. The fairing is again not an original MV item. So what? I love them both.
I was just wondering what kind of fairing Yours is. It remembers me of sixties Grand Prix racers like the MZ, Yamaha,...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts