MV Agusta Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
So, bit of an old thread..... Have really gotten into the cycling gig.

Curious if anyone else is on Strava (or similar?). Be interested to see what some of you guys are up to.....
I hadn't heard of Strava before, but I have been using Endomondo. Being able to see the speed/elevation/splits/and so on is really fun. Most of the riding I do is commuting back and forth to work.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I hadn't heard of Strava before, but I have been using Endomondo. Being able to see the speed/elevation/splits/and so on is really fun. Most of the riding I do is commuting back and forth to work.

I think the key highlight of Strava is how it compares your times to your past times automatically for segments it knows about and also against other people who have ridden it. If you are the fastest on the climb, you get the coveted KOM crown next to your name!

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I just got a claude butler through my work, they have just done a deal where you pick the bike from their range and the money is deducted from your wages.It's tax free aswell.

Is that Cycle to Work scheme still going on? I remember seeing that last year. Cool idea....

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I currently ride a 2010 Specialized Allez Steel

Dura Ace Downtube shifters
Shimano Tiagra Crank, front/rear derailleurs
Custom Wheelset: Mavic CXP-33 with DT-Swiss 240 Hubs

I've lost 20lbs within the last 8 weeks from diet and riding.

It's been a while since I last posted but I bought a 2013 Specialized Venge Expert and added the following.

58mm Carbon Clinchers
Dura Ace Cassette
Dura Ace Chain

Weighing it at the store with the carbon rims, Dura Ace Casette, Dura Ace Chain, and Michelin Pro 3

Here I am racing my steel bike last season:

Needless to say I'll be having my Vengeance on the Venge in 2013. :naughty:

·
Registered
324 Posts
I love my Cannondale. (A birthday present years ago) The suspension can be changed for off road vs. on road. Since I live near the beach and cranberry bogs, i prefer to ride more where cars aren't out to get you!

·
Registered
127 Posts
My Wilier Cento UNO, full SRAM Red component group, Fulcrum Racing 1 wheelset, carbon frame, fork, bars, stem, integrated seatpost, cranks, 15.88lbs:

·
Registered
17,191 Posts
That's nice. I may eventually go SRAM Red. It's 1.5lbs lighter than my Ultegra and will get me to 16 lbs.

Isn't it easier and cheaper to just loose 24oz. by dieting? :)

·
Registered
17,191 Posts
Yes sir! Gonna do that too.

My goal is to ride a Century on/around my 60th (March 18). In order to do so, I've got to loose an absolute minimum of 20-25 lbs. before then. My Giant TCR (low end Shimano 105,etc) is relatively heavy, but that's not what's gonna prevent me from achieving my goal.......it's my fat ass.

I can do 50 miles today, but I'll never make 100 without loosing the weight. :)

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
My goal is to ride a Century on/around my 60th (March 18). In order to do so, I've got to loose an absolute minimum of 20-25 lbs. before then. My Giant TCR (low end Shimano 105,etc) is relatively heavy, but that's not what's gonna prevent me from achieving my goal.......it's my fat ass.

That's a great goal!

I lost 46lbs last year and only put back about 10-15 of it during the off season. I started at 240 and raced at 194lbs.

Rides that long really rev up your metabolsim. When I did my first Century a few years ago I weighed 222lbs when I started the ride and weighed 211 after the ride. Everytime I would eat something afterwards I didn't feel full. My metabolism would just burn it. I did the ride on a Saturday and I didn't start feeling full again after eating until the following Thursday.

·
Registered
17,191 Posts
I ran my one and only marathon (4 hr. 12 min. 38 sec.) just before my 40th birthday. There's no way I could do that again, nor do I want to. Riding a century is doable at my age. It's definitely a challenge, but my body can survive the stress, unlike a marathon.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I ran my one and only marathon (4 hr. 12 min. 38 sec.) just before my 40th birthday. There's no way I could do that again, nor do I want to. Riding a century is doable at my age. It's definitely a challenge, but my body can survive the stress, unlike a marathon.
Cycling is a lot easier on the body. My friend that I rode the Century with was in his early 40s.

May I suggest getting a good bike fit before you head out on your 100 mile journey? A good Body Geometry fit will measure you for leg length discrepancies, pelvic tilt, pelvic angle, and many other important things that are critical to keeping you comfortable when logging long miles.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I also wanted to point out that with better nutrition during your ride you could get a lot closer than you think.

I was struggling to get past 55 miles and just by carrying 2 bottles of Accelerade instead of straight water or gatorade I finally jumped to 75 miles the very next ride.

·
Registered
17,191 Posts
Cycling is a lot easier on the body. My friend that I rode the Century with was in his early 40s.

May I suggest getting a good bike fit before you head out on your 100 mile journey? A good Body Geometry fit will measure you for leg length discrepancies, pelvic tilt, pelvic angle, and many other important things that are critical to keeping you comfortable when logging long miles.
My bike has been custom fit to me, and is quite comfortable.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I love my Cannondale. (A birthday present years ago) The suspension can be changed for off road vs. on road. Since I live near the beach and cranberry bogs, i prefer to ride more where cars aren't out to get you!
I'm with you on this Cindy - I've got a Klein Attitude mountain bike as my normal routes are about 50% through the forest and 50% on the road

·
Super Moderator
7,422 Posts
Thread revival!

Setting up a bike to trundle along on.
Obviously having a midlife crisis and am trying to relive my youth.
I have very fond memories of cycling when I was a younger and fitter. Looking forward to sourcing some pedals / cleats / shoes.

It is a used Planet X Stealth Pro Carbon. Shimano Ultegra equipped. It does not have the wheels as pictured, I got some cheaper ones as I'm not going to benefit from carbon wheels, though the Mavic wheels pictured were simply beautiful - but at twice the price of the rest of the bike!

Attachments

21 - 40 of 54 Posts