MV Agusta Forum banner

Rizoma Reverse Retro Bar End Mirror - Reversed

9K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  xeorex 
#1 ·
Anyone here installed the Rizoma Reverse Retro Bar End Mirror on a MV Brutale, in the opposite direction as in this image, and could confirm that they still see well what's behind?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Interesting application there. I have those mirrors on a Ducati Monster S4Rs and I really like them. I think I'll give that mounting position a try just for fun. I would think they might bump the fuel tank at full lock though.

#5 ·
I think, from looking at how they mount, your arms would completely block the view.

#7 ·
Just for you, XEROX!

OK, so curiosity go the better of me and I went to the garage and switched my mirrors to the position you would like to have evaluated.

In the original position, I had two very minor niggles: 1. Occasionally, I would bump the mirror with my gloved hand and have to readjust. It gave me a feeling of having my hand "trapped" in position, but really posed no issues. 2. I would have to move very slightly to see directly behind me.

On the plus side: 1. The view was much better (wider, clearer, more stable) than the stock Monster mirrors. 2. My helmet could be held very securely on a mirror post and cable-locked in place when parked up. 3. The look is stunning.

So, I took them off and rehung them in the upside down position. It takes all of two minutes as it is a one-bolt per mirror operation.

Here are pictures of the results:

Original view, left:
Auto part Gauge

Original view, right:
Auto part Engine Automotive engine part

New position:
Vehicle Motorcycle accessories Auto part Engine Car

New view, Left:
Tire Automotive tire Auto part Vehicle brake Engine

New view, right:
Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Vehicle Automotive tire

From further back:
Vehicle Scooter

I was worried about tank clearance at full Lock. This required just a bit of adjustment and it appears to be just fine.

The view behind the bike with the mirrors in the upside down position seems to be able to cover more areas and I think I can see directly behind me.

I will give a ride report later in the week after I have had a chance to do some commuting.

Hope this helps.

I am not sure if I like the look better this way or not, but the one thing I am concerned about is how my helmet will hang....

More to follow.:smoking:

#8 ·
Thanks a lot for trying this out...for me :friday:
I see what you mean with the look.
It seems the mirrors come in, instead of staying parallel to the bike as in the first picture I uploaded.
Is the tank and bar the same than Brutale on Ducati?
Looking forward to hearing from your driving test with these.

#9 ·
I don't know about the bar differences, but I had to make some adjustments to prevent the mirrors from hitting the tank at full lock. Perhaps the seemingly nonparallel appearance is a camera angle.

I'm riding to work shortly. I'll let you know how it goes later today.

#11 ·
I'm not sold on "The Look" either.

For the diagnostics, though, the view behind me was good, as was the view to either side. It is a bit interesting to have to focus at a different point, below the bar vice above the bar, in order to see the view. Many years of riding looking instictively at one particular point in space has to be retrained.

About one third of the miror surface is blocked by glove gauntlet/forearm as I ride.

I feel that I will be switching back after I give it three days for giggles.

#13 ·
Yes, it is a littel disconcerting. We'll see how the ride home goes in a few hours.

Form and Function can go hand-in-hand...but it better look good doing it!

#14 ·
OK, I figured out what is bugging me. With the mirrors mounted below the bar a subtle but very important visual cue is missing. Above the bar, the mirrors catch my peripheral vision; below the bar, they do not.

This is because the reflective mirror surface is squarely obscured by the chin-bar of my full face helmet. It is as if I have no mirrors unless I go looking for them. Not cool.

Tomorrow morning the mirrors will be relocated to their original upright position prior to take-off.

I trust this little exercise and review has been helpful.

#16 ·
Yes, but it was a bit more than that. Because the mirrors were actually blocked by helmet structure and riding position, the peripheral input that is used to quickly tell if a vehicle is nearby was simply gone.

I rely quite a bit on my peripheral vision.

#17 ·
I can understand that. It is the same with guys having the indicators on forever, and don't notice the blinking light on the dashboard, hidden by the full face helmet.

#18 ·
I'd been considering this as I liked the look on the Monster in the movie "Tron: Legacy". I'd imagine you could check the clearance on a brutale by putting a tie wrap on the grip, where the inner edge of the mirror would be, so the end sticks down and then seen if it contacts the tank when turned to lock.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#19 ·
Reckler, I found that by rotating the mounting forward, then adjusting the mirror glass, you can avoid tank contact pretty easily.

#20 ·
If "looks" could kill:

I restored my mirrors to their original upright position and there was an immediate improvement in view and comfort.

Not being able to instinctively glance at what is behind you, I feel, is a threat to the rider.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND HANGING THE MIRRORS UNDER THE BAR!!

How is that for feedback?:smoking:

#21 ·
Well at least you 'gave it a go' Chuck!....,I never thought for a moment you'd be sold on the idea!.
Nothing about it appealed to me....and with the 'Danger element' thrown into the mix as you found I guess you'll stick with what you know.

Interesting thread though Chuck..,and great to hear your thoughts....,based on first hand experience:).
Brian.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.