MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '14 Rivale just developed a problem where the left brake light will not illuminate during normal running. When I switch the bike on, it lights up normally for about a second and then goes dark. Strangely, it still lights up when I apply the brakes so I know that the bulbs are good..
Has anyone else had a similar issue? Any advice here is appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So update to the situation, today my other tail light went out on my ride home. This caused my dash to throw the “tail light failure, shut down engine” message. The right side light tube is still lit up, however the led’s that make up the actual brake light are all out. The top three completely and the bottom three illuminate extremely dimly, barely visible..
I’m beginning to suspect a more serious electrical issue is the culprit here as I think it extremely unlikely for two light units to fail within a week of one another. Spoke with my local dealership (Moto Forza) and they said they could only replace the lights which I am hesitant to do until I understand the root cause..

·
Registered
183 Posts
Sorry for the late reply here, it must be frustrating not getting any responses!

Anyway, myself and a few others have had the same problem as yourself. Has the bike seen any kind of moisture recently? Water ingress can cause this problem in the lights (the factory 'seals' on the lights are, ahem, crap), though to be honest just general vibration can do it too.

I had to replace most of the individual LEDs on both sides, and I also needed to get the left hand circuit board/wiring fixed by an electrical guy, as something had shorted out - he fixed this easily for just £20. LEDs were a couple of quid/dollars. Brand new tail lights from MV are about £300 for the pair, I believe, so it's must more cost efficient doing it this way!

Replacing LEDs is pretty easy, and just requires that you have a soldering iron to resolder each individual LED onto the mount. Pulling apart the lights is just a case of undoing the various screws that hold each section together. The most difficult part (not really that difficult) is prizing apart the lights using a combination of heat (heat gun/hairdryer works fine) and a thin knife. It all seems daunting, but it's actually really easy. Just take your time and be methodical. I have basic motorycle DIY skills and I managed it.

I put the lights back together with some heavy duty waterproof black silicone adhesive (being careful not to let it smear onto the lights) and it is now impermeable (in theory!). be sure to use alcohol or meths to thoroughly clean the lights inside and out.

Here's a link to the original thread where this problem was discussed DIY Rivale/Stradale tail light fix. There's a video on there discussing how to do the LEDs, but to be honest it's not that much help. You'll figure out the process yourself, I am sure!

Cheers,
Nick

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much for the reply! This weekend I’ll take them apart and hopefully it’s a simple fix. Will reach out if I get stuck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts