MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I just introduced myself in the New Members Introduction thread as a new owner of a 2015 Rivale, and I have already the first question.

I'm not too tall and my legs are rather short so the Rivale is a bit too high for me, I am going to ride the bike a lot in city riding with lots of starts and stops, so I need to be able to reach comfortably with at least one foot on the ground,

I have been checking the lowering kits of Metisse from Germany, I am thinking of installing the kit for -40 mm height.

Metisse says that obviously when installing the lowering kit the bike will stand too steep on the side stand, so they strongly recommend shortening the side stand.

I guess I could find someone able to cut the side stand and re-weld it shorter, but my question is, would the side stand of a Brutale 800, F3, Stradale, Turismo Veloce etc fit on the Rivale and do the purpose of a shorter stand than the Rivale's stock stand?

I have seen a couple of Brutale or F3 used side stands at reasonable prices, so if I was sure it would fit, I could avoid having to cut and re-weld mine, I would rather keep the standard stock stand for whenever I may want to sell the bike.

If anyone knows the answer it would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
66 Posts
HI There,

not sure if this helps, 1st of all you need to find someone which can do a proper job welding aluminum alloy if you planned to shorten the current side stand.

I had similar issues with my 701, as I am only 178 my Husky was a tad to high and I struggled off-road a bit. Everyone was telling me I need to either shorten the side stand or buy a new shorted one, however all I needed to do was installing some shims between the side stand bracket and frame attachment so the angle of the very same will become smaller.

on the Husky its easier as I had 3 screws, 2 on top and 1 at the bottom. I believe the Rivale comes like the B3 with only with a pair of screws, if so you will have to manufacture a shim which sits perfectly.

not sure if that would work for you, 40mm lower is a lot and you need to figure it out yourself....

good luck

mjvduc

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mjvduc, I had not thought about that solution with a shim. I will check and consider it. I wonder if the side stand itself could be bent for the same purpose.

·
Registered
66 Posts
if the material is 7075 or 6061, better not it will start cracking.....2024 can be bent, but I doubt thats what they use....

·
Registered
351 Posts
Also, welding 7075 or 6061 will remove the tempering, and make it much weaker. -- A No-Go IMHO

I have machined a few new sidestand brackets, to increase or decrease the angle slightly, from stainless steel, and in one special case (my own) in titanium 😎
Depending on how much you need to "shorten" this is a very good way to go, if shimming it is not enough -

1 - 6 of 6 Posts