MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greets, crowd!

Now that I've ridden my new bike all of three times, the inevitable questions have arisen:

What more can I spend on this bike to make it even better??

The answer, as always: a lot!

Highest on my list are:

Mirrors: yes I'll be doing some lane splitting and could do with shorter width, but more to the point I find them VERY difficult to judge distance with, too low down, add some very heavy vibes in typical traffic-cruising rpm make it difficult to see just what it was you just passed, and.. they've got to go.

I've got eyes on Rizoma adapters and mirrors, but: is there a known, good solution to blanking off the bar ends once the stock mirrors come off?

Seat cover: personal preference, no doubt, but: I'd appreciate another inch or so to slide my butt back on and could do with some reupholstering-any particularly good experiences here? I see that Luimoto make some tasty options.. red/silver/black in particular!

Rear brake: I've tried 3 Rivales, and the rear has been rear to non-existent on all! Is this common? Will definitely not be doing any of the sliding into corners that I've been seeing in YouTube with that!

Tank cap: seen chips on a few of these since they appear to be endowed with a modest amount of paint... silly really. Again, is this something that is widely known about,

Inevitably... exhaust!

Looking for something which retains the all-important tre-organ pipe style. I guess options are Bodis, FM, QD & corse tre hydro.
The latter are very tasty, particularly in black!
What are your experiences with build quality, and not least, the durability of ceramic coating? I'm also skeptical towards the regal tips of the QDs, in terms of durability and discoloration.

Your input please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Very happy with the Hydro Tre on my Turismo. It's the stainless version with carbon heat shield though, not the ceramic black.

There has been a little discolouration but a polish with Autosol has resolved that. Not an easy option on the black finish if that happens. Build quality is very good. Given the choice again I wouldn't choose differently.

My concern with a black finish is long term durability of the finish. If there's a matt aspect to it it will, I imagine, look dull with extended use/exposure to the elements.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers, one question about your exhaust: I think I read in another post that your homologated pipes did not have removable baffles, and that you'd have to angle grind or drill out rivets?

Not that I really need to, I guess that it's the old Ducatisti in me that's looking for open pipes, but they are a no no at track days, and I expect a B3 with open pipes on full would be politely shown off track if the stockers are indicative...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Welcome Eljono.

I actually like the mirrors on my Rivale. They are certainly better than the stock mirrors on my Aprilia RSV. They are wide for filtering though. If I was going to replace them I would definitely go down the Rizoma route.

No issues with my back brake in 5500 miles.

I have the QD exhaust in black finish. Love the look and the sound. Too loud with all three baffles removed but okay with one removed. The black finish which is advertised as ceramic is more like paint and in common with many owners have found it flaking off. The warranty is voided by removing the baffles so be warned. I’m happy with the exhaust other than that and intend to get it properly ceramic coated at the end of the summer season.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Cheers, one question about your exhaust: I think I read in another post that your homologated pipes did not have removable baffles, and that you'd have to angle grind or drill out rivets?
The baffles, just the two upper pipes of the three, are easily removable.

The baffles are retained by Allen bolts that are accessed from the inner side of each pipe, no need for wheel removal to do this. I presume to acknowledge in theory the type approval (baffles are fixed in place) these Allen bolts have a small tack weld that is broken just by turning the bolt with a regular key.

I removed mine out of curiosity but replaced them as I prefer my bikes not to be obnoxiously loud.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome Eljono.

I actually like the mirrors on my Rivale. They are certainly better than the stock mirrors on my Aprilia RSV. They are wide for filtering though. If I was going to replace them I would definitely go down the Rizoma route.

No issues with my back brake in 5500 miles.

I have the QD exhaust in black finish. Love the look and the sound. Too loud with all three baffles removed but okay with one removed. The black finish which is advertised as ceramic is more like paint and in common with many owners have found it flaking off. The warranty is voided by removing the baffles so be warned. I’m happy with the exhaust other than that and intend to get it properly ceramic coated at the end of the summer season.

They look nice! Design Corse are giving a 20% discount on retail at the moment for their current stock. Did you have to remap or reset anything on the ECU?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The baffles, just the two upper pipes of the three, are easily removable.

The baffles are retained by Allen bolts that are accessed from the inner side of each pipe, no need for wheel removal to do this. I presume to acknowledge in theory the type approval (baffles are fixed in place) these Allen bolts have a small tack weld that is broken just by turning the bolt with a regular key.

I removed mine out of curiosity but replaced them as I prefer my bikes not to be obnoxiously loud.

Ah ok, got it.

Agree about sound- especially during longer trips. The bike is a little obnoxious, though, and therefore suited

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Greg, hadn't seen your post... looks to be a nice fit, for sure! May I ask what type of luggage you're toting on that picture? I've been looking around not been able to find anything if suitable size and fit. Looked at saddlebags for a bit but realized that you can't get enough support from those curved taillight panels. Looks like a solid tail pack and tank bag are the go.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
I've done:
- Zero Exhaust
- MV Racing Air Filter
- Tidy Tail to get rid of the hideous license plate thing
- Carbon Belly Pan
- Carbon Side pieces
- Carbon small front fairing
- Carbon rear tire fender
- Carbon key guard
- MV Corse Seat

Reactions: Kris and Eljono

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info

I've also got a Puig screen and hi-tech 3 mirrors coming now! I

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess I’ll just add in to my OP on this topic: the parts to make up Rivale 2.0 after the spill are now all ordered, after some lengthy research!
They just might not be the last, but enough to keep me busy and in therapy now that we’re entering long, dark northern cold season! Imminent stuffs:
-replacement blinkers, fore and aft right side
-replacement bars (will have to find a shop that can thread the ends and drill switchgear holes)
-bling levers
-delete stock mirrors using Stradale bar ends
-from tail fairing to upper radiator panels in matte carbon
-mod seat (saddle :p) shape, insert gel, new cover
-bling pedals
-upgrade fork springs
-rear shock
-new exhaust
-ditto air filter
-new grips
-handy ‘Motorcycle Suspension Bible’ by RaceTech to try to demystify/crack the suspension code

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess I’ll just add in to my OP on this topic: the parts to make up Rivale 2.0 after the spill are now all ordered, after some lengthy research!
They just might not be the last, but enough to keep me busy and in therapy now that we’re entering long, dark northern cold season! Imminent stuffs:
-replacement blinkers, fore and aft right side
-replacement bars (will have to find a shop that can thread the ends and drill switchgear holes)
-bling levers
-delete stock mirrors using Stradale bar ends
-from tail fairing to upper radiator panels in matte carbon
-mod seat (saddle :p) shape, insert gel, new cover
-bling pedals
-upgrade fork springs
-rear shock
-new exhaust
-ditto air filter
-new grips
-handy ‘Motorcycle Suspension Bible’ by RaceTech to try to demystify/crack the suspension code

Bike & garage prepared for winter wrenching ! :)
Now, where are those PARTS??

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yay, first shipment is in! Funny that of all the orders of the shopping spree, from vendors in UK, Germany, Belgium, Sweden & US, it was the package from the food ol’ US of A that arrived first!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And inside the box...

After considering several of the classy 3-pipe offerings out there, I ended up with a mean little stubby can! I just love the way it opens up the rear lower quarter of the bike. The finish is great from what I can tell.

I suspect it’s going to be pretty loud! Noticeably more open than the stock bit coming off:

Hence I purchased the optional dB killer with it... looking forward to testing it... next spring, arrgh!
Speaking with Shift Tech before buying, I had to ask them about the dyno graph on their web page. They confirmed that the tested bike was otherwise ‘bone stock’. I find the figure of +9hp and chunks of extra torque a little fantastical if that’s the case, but I’ll take it! @Snow , was it your bike they used?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Today’s delivery: Luimoto seat cover with gold gel insert! Thanks Canada! Will measure up and cut out a recess for the gel insert tomorrow once I identify the most bum-prone location on the seat:

Still considering smoothing out the pillion ‘hump’, but a little skeptical now that I see that it may lead to waterlogging of the foam- it’s a sealed surface. Maybe an elastic spray-on sealant compound of some sort can be used? Will investigate!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Patience is key, when re-shaping your seat (hump de-hump) and digging out space for a gel insert!
It also took a while to figure out the best shape, and tools for the job.
I ended up letting loose with a mouse sander and 60 grit paper for reshaping. Otherwise, the Luimoto instruction video was handy, and explains all.

Note: If you’re looking at putting a gel insert into a Rivale seat, you will probably want to smooth out the foam hump anyway to ensure a smooth flowing transition between seat rear and gel:

Next up is gluing foam layer, fitting and stapling the cover, which should be easier than this first bit :)

I’ve received a few carbon fairing bits from Moto Vision.
I’ll upload some pix after I’m finished with being pissed off at them for charging full tax for export goods. Norwegian customs then slapped on Norwegian VAT on top of that, so haven’t had much joy out of the 25% liquidation discount on the parts, lol. Waiting for feedback on refund, but the parts themselves are nice!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Since I’ve run out of staples to finish off the seat... I’ve mocked up a few bits of carbon to replace the damaged fairing and jazz things up a bit:

I’m thinking of finishing them off with matte lacquer once I get the decals, never liked the fact that the decals were exposed. Also thinking of finishing off the belly pans in the same black as the frame.
I think I inadvertently created a Diavel Carbon lookalike!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Seat is *sort of* finished!
Just need to tape up the staples and tidy it up underneath, but all in all it went pretty well. Looks good, glad I didn't overdo it with a multi-coloured cover and stuck with the red seams only.
Interesting side note to the Luimoto cover: the material used on the underside of the top of the cover to keep the padding in place has an crinkling kind of quality, akin to a nappy. This will not likely be noticeable when riding, but I wonder if the cover has a clever secondary function built in in case of wetting oneself while aboard? :p

DesignCorse shipment received today - handlebars, levers, foot controls (all CNC Racing) & BMC filter :)

I went with black bars to replace the silver\grey OEM that got trashed. I also decided on wider bars than OEMto get more of that MX stance.
However, looking at the difference in width now I'm wondering how they'll work out... the difference is pretty big! Maybe they will turn the bike into a flat-tracker or bobber to ride :) 'Inside' height of the bars is the same, and so is the angle of rake. We shall see, once I've threaded the bar ends for the hand guards, drilled holes for the control pins and bunged everything together :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts