MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm finding it hard to get the correct oil level in the Rivale.. well I have some concerns about it anyways.
The manual is really vague with directions around using the dipstick for oil level confirmation. I have checked oil levels numerous times and it always shows way above the Max level line.

All my servicing including oil changes has been done at the shop and the guys seem very knowledgeable so I have always just thought I must be reading the levels wrong and just left it as is.
Over the weekend though I have done an oil / filter change (2kg weight of oil suggested in manual.. again MV being overly vague!) and after dumping oil I found I had about 3.2 litres so I put that same amount back in.

Again, oil level according to dipstick seems really high.

I’m wondering if someone knows exactly how much oil is supposed to go in to the Rivale at oil change and how to correctly read it.

According to my dipstick I’m way over!

Thanks in advance:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you working according to the Workshop manuals, it's very clear in there ?
Yep, following the workshop manual.

It’s not really that clear at all:
- Switch on the engine for several minutes
– After switching of wait at least 10 minutes
– Ensure motorcycle on level ground and is vertical
– The level must be within the MIN and MAX levels (is this with the dipstick screwed back in all the way or just dipped back in to reservoir?).

if it’s all the way in then I must be over… which leads into the other thing.. ‘2kg of oil’ quoted in the manual. That’s pretty hard to work out as I don’t have scales handy.

That’s why I’m asking other Rivale owners for help on this one.

Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Yup, with the dipstick screwed back in, so after you run the bike, waited 10 minutes, removed the dipstick, wiped it clean, screwed in back in and back out again. Now it should be in between them lines, if it's over then you need to suck some oil out.

And it's the same for all the 3 cylinder bikes, just the oil amounts vary, that's why I moved your thread to the maintenance section.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Hope this helps mate, I don't know why the bastards can just say how many liters you'd need.
http://www.onlineconversion.com/forum/forum_1060787814.htm

This one is better - 1kg of Petroleum Oil comes to about 1,35 liters of oil. http://www.thecalculatorsite.com/conversions/substances/oil.php

I don't think this is right either, because I don't know if Petroleum oil is what you'd describe what we use as. Where are all the smart peoples when you need them.

Anyway, you're on the right track of how to check that level of your's mate.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, my maths say using 0.88 kg = 1 litre then 2kg = 2.3 litres (approx). I'll pull 700ml's out and see if it hits the sweet spot.

Thanks again for the help

·
Registered
895 Posts
Here are the actual quantities, depending on whether you drain the oil cooler or not, from the F3 engine manual.
Screenshot_2015-11-17-12-24-59.png

Also, it does not say anything in any of the F3 manuals, nor any Japanese bike manual that I've ever seen, about screwing the dipstick back in to check the level.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
They say that you check it after unscrewing it from you 10 waiting session. How's that work then Greg ? If I wiped the dipstick, screw it back in and out to double check, I'll get the same reading but checked against a clean dipstick no ?

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
At last, someone who makes sence. Patenz, listen to Greg, just spoke to him on the phone, the slackers sitting asleep in a crane somewhere. Anyway, I apologise, that 3.2L was the right amount.

·
Registered
895 Posts
At last, someone who makes sence. Patenz, listen to Greg, just spoke to him on the phone, the slackers sitting asleep in a crane somewhere. Anyway, I apologise, that 3.2L was the right amount.
3 to 3.2l IF you drain the oil cooler.

·
Super Moderator
22,639 Posts
Unscrew it, wipe it, dip it. Not unscrew it, wipe it, screw it back in!

Gregostini, respectfully, you are wrong:

F3 Oil Level Check.jpg

This clearly states: stop, wait, unscrew, check.

No wiping and reinstalling involved.

This is consistent with other bikes and brands that I have owned.

·
Super Moderator
22,639 Posts
The danger with an oil level too high is that you could have crank slap and foaming in the oil. This will reduce the oil's capability and could cause damage.

·
Super Moderator
22,639 Posts
From the F3 Engine Manual:

Again, it is unscrew and check. No wiping reseating unscrewed.

The level is checked immediately after unscrewing the dipstick.

F3 Oil Level - Workshop Manual.jpg

If you do not do it this way, your level will be high by the height of the unscrewed threads.....:jsm:

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Again, it is unscrew and check. No wiping reseating unscrewed.

The level is checked immediately after unscrewing the dipstick.

View attachment 274961

If you do not do it this way, your level will be high by the height of the unscrewed threads.....:jsm:
Which manual is that the other say wait 10min.

Check workshop but also engine manuals too.

·
Super Moderator
22,639 Posts
The users manual says shut off, wait 10 minutes. The guidance in the Workshop Manual is for an oil change, so one would assume the bike has been off for quite awhile there....:stickpoke

Some day I will weigh the oil and post a volumetric equivalent at STP.:violin:

·
Super Moderator
22,639 Posts
It's lie the three blind men and the elephant.....

FWIW, I don't see a controversy. I read and follow instructions for a living. That makes me right.

:nutkick::nutkick::nutkick::popcorn::loser::ahhh::conveyer::jsm::smoking:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts