MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Sad to hear of the passing of John Surtees today, aged 83. A true gentleman and a former MV world champion. Rip John, it was my pleasure to meet you many times.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
One of a kind for sure, one man ever to reach the top on 2 and 4 wheels. Glad I met him, if you get the chance to read his book, do.

Please MV do a Surtees F4 rather than a Lewis Hamilton one.

·
Registered
909 Posts
John Surtees Dead

It is with great sadness that I report the passing of MV legend John Surtees;

his family announced that he had succumbed to an existing respiratory condition.

He was 83.

Rest in Peace "Il Leone".

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Rip

Attachments

·
Registered
1,349 Posts

·
King of Bling
9,831 Posts

A true Legend and a giant among racers on both two and four wheels.. I went to a Norton Owners club dinner last month and John Surtee's was supposed to have been the guest speaker.. Unfortunately, at the last minute he couldn't attend the dinner and now I know why.. So sad..

RIP JS

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
I have been truly blessed to have met some pretty amazing people in my life. This man was the most incredible.
Rest in peace.

·
Super Moderator
23,533 Posts
That is a sad announcement. I met him at Barber Museum at my first venture to Bubbalicious.

(Thanks Randy!)

Reactions: Randarosa

·
Registered
7,925 Posts
Randy. Where is that autograph from the bubba event. You need to post a pic of it.

Reactions: Randarosa

·
Wing Nut
21,574 Posts
I was fortunate to meet him at Barber as well, and he signed my championship stars hat. I approached him and said I believed a few of those stars were his. That started a lively conversation about his personal bikes and the ones at Barber. What a pleasant gent, he was willing to talk as long as you would like.

God Speed Sir John.

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
RIP (John Surtees, February 11, 1934 – March 10, 2017)

Ride in Peace, the Motorcycling and Motorsport Legend John Surtees has passed away.

Surtees is best known for winning three 350cc Championship titles (1958, 1959, and 1960), four 500cc Grand Prix Championship titles (1956, 1958, 1959, and 1960), as well as the 1964 Formula One World Championship title.
This makes Surtees the only man to win a World Championship in both two-wheeled and four-wheeled racing categories. He was also the first person to will the Senior TT race at the Isle of Man TT, three times in a row.
Article - Ride in Peace, Motorsport Legend John Surtees - Asphalt & Rubber

Passing away at the age of 83, John Surtees is survived by his wife Jane, his two daughters Edwina and Leonora.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,191 Posts
Randy. Where is that autograph from the bubba event. You need to post a pic of it.
I'll look for it........I also remember what a gentleman he was at Barber. BTW, for those who still need a motivator to visit Barber, they have an entire mini section devoted to Surtees.

·
King of Bling
9,831 Posts

I was just reading an article this afternoon about this great man and all his achievements on and off track.. It's a great shame in John Surtees passing away, that we are all in agreement, but I hope you all in agreement with me that its such a TRAVESTY OF JUSTICE , that this great man, never got a Knighthood. Just plain F-----g crazy.

J Stewart got his gong for cosying up to The Royals, and Sir Jack Brabham, much deserved, but why the HELL JS never got one!! Yet every Lolly Pop lady doing the children's crossing gets a bloody award defies me.

I have always felt so angry every year, when the honours were awarded, and our great man got overlooked once again, on achieving something that will in my opinion, will never be done again.

It plainly sucks..

Rant over and I'll go back into my cage for now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts