MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well folks, it's a sad day: I just learned my beautiful '10 1090 is a total loss.

I was riding on the day after Xmas near Ojai, CA on Highway 150. My wife's uncle was following me on his Goldwing as we headed south from Ojai. There's a neat twisty section of road which climbs through a canyon. The sun was shining, the road was clear, and traffic was light. We entered a climbing left hander, which was followed by a right. I transitioned from left to right, and without any feedback, on even throttle and with no brakes, I totally lost the front. Next thing I knew, my beautiful bike and I were sliding up the road, across the double yellow towards a dirt embankment. The whole time is was happening, I was thinking "I DON'T F*CKING CRASH!!!!" I was incredulous.

I'm here to tell you that my years of insistence on good gear was rewarded. The only scratch on my is where my leathers bunched on my right knee (and where the bike landed on me), giving me what looks like a rug burn.

The bike landed on the right hand side, grinding away at the engine cases, and driving the rear brake pedal into the frame.

I'm totally bummed out, especially because I have no idea what happened. I went back and looked at the road: no gravel, oil, sand, etc. There is an odd camber change in the middle of the turn, so that may be a contributing factor.

So, I'm trying to figure out what's next. I'm not sure if I'll just take the money and buy another Brute, put it in the bank, buy a different bike, or as my wife would prefer, take up golf.

Ride safe!

Brad

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
Firstly, sorry to hear about the crash.
Is your wife sure she wants you to take up golf?
Maybe get her to have a glance at this picture then show here a nice shiny new Brutale brochure.....:)

Attachments

·
Registered
983 Posts
Glad you are ok.

Motorcycling may seem pointless after a crash. Give it some time, then the motivation will be on top again.

It was my experience when I had to go down to taste the tarmac a few years ago.:)

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Sorry to hear you crashed. Use the money to purchase a F4, they handle better.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Sorry to hear your bike's written off and very happy you're OK ! :yo:

(Spend some quality time with your Mrs, as I am almost certain she is worrying about all the 'worst case' scenarios that could have happened to you...)

·
Vendor
5,373 Posts
Sad story,but your OK thats the main thing,what tyres were you running.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Well folks, it's a sad day: I just learned my beautiful '10 1090 is a total loss.

I was riding on the day after Xmas near Ojai, CA on Highway 150. My wife's uncle was following me on his Goldwing as we headed south from Ojai. There's a neat twisty section of road which climbs through a canyon. The sun was shining, the road was clear, and traffic was light. We entered a climbing left hander, which was followed by a right. I transitioned from left to right, and without any feedback, on even throttle and with no brakes, I totally lost the front. Next thing I knew, my beautiful bike and I were sliding up the road, across the double yellow towards a dirt embankment. The whole time is was happening, I was thinking "I DON'T F*CKING CRASH!!!!" I was incredulous.

I'm here to tell you that my years of insistence on good gear was rewarded. The only scratch on my is where my leathers bunched on my right knee (and where the bike landed on me), giving me what looks like a rug burn.

The bike landed on the right hand side, grinding away at the engine cases, and driving the rear brake pedal into the frame.

I'm totally bummed out, especially because I have no idea what happened. I went back and looked at the road: no gravel, oil, sand, etc. There is an odd camber change in the middle of the turn, so that may be a contributing factor.

So, I'm trying to figure out what's next. I'm not sure if I'll just take the money and buy another Brute, put it in the bank, buy a different bike, or as my wife would prefer, take up golf.

Ride safe!

Brad
The important thing is that you are okay. Sorry to hear about the bike as I rode the same model as a loaner from my dealer when my 2010 F4 was in the shop for service.

Depending on your requirements, if you use your bike for commuting to work or a lot stick with the brutale. If you are weekend rider who loves the twisties then an F4 is good choice for MV bikes.

Keep us posted on your decision.

Rich

·
Registered
17,189 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Man that sucks, glad you are ok. I lost the frt wheel of my FZ1 once with no warning. Think it was oil or coolant but it was a too dangerous to check the road out. I should not have even picked up the bike there. Was not the rear wheel brg was it? Perhaps a new 675 is in your future.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I looked at the rear wheel, but found nothing obvious. I am still on the OE Dunlop Qualifier RRs, IIRC I had 31 psi in front and 34 psi in the rear. Nothing extraordinary.

Thanks for all the good wishes. Love the picture of Tiger. Definitely going to share that with the mrs!

I'll let you know what I decide to do. The insurance company is supposed to get in touch with me on Tuesday. Ugh.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I meant the F3 MV 675 but Triumphs are cool too. I was looking at street triples when I found my brute. They wanted too much money for the used street triples I could find. Glad they did now, my 750 is perrrrrfect, especially with that awesome seat from June.
I have been on those roads around Ojai too, they are really nice...usually.

·
Administrator
20,103 Posts
Hey...RacerX and Zman....you guys need to decide who keeps the avatar!!!! :stickpoke

On a serious note, sorry to hear of the totaled out Brutale :lightning

But you are OK....let's hear it for ATGATT :yo:

.....you don't just "lose the front" for no reason. Something happened there....keep looking for answers if you can. Make the accident a learning experience so it can be possibly prevented in the future......

Which means you HAVE to get another bike. :moped:

You will regret it if you don't....maybe not today or tomorrow, but eventually you will see the other riders out there and become resentful that you are not with them :banghead:

......and then you will blame your wife (subconsciously maybe)...and that's when the fight began!!! :jsm:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts