MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the job of tidying up my brothers bike (cbr 600 rr).
It has horrible 'florescent' rim tape on the wheels...which he..(and I) hate!. (it was on the bike when he bought it)
Anyway..it has to go, so does anybody know an effective way of removing it?...and still keep my thumb nails!.
I've used Turpentine (to desolve the tape adhesive).....,celulose thinners....,a plastic scraper..etc.
Is a 'heat gun / hair dryer the way to go??
Obviously I don't want to damage the rims, but as the man from 'mastermind' says ....''I've started..so I'll finish''
Brian:)

Registered

Super Moderator
I second Italia's recomendation. A heat gun can be used, too. Any paint prep soluiton will remove the excess adhesive...or tar remover....or Goo Gone ...or, well, you get the idea.

Super Moderator
Sonsider using a SOFT wood "chisel". I have often sanded the edge of a paint stir stick to be used for similar operations.

Super Moderator
You can Chuck to be able to give sound advice on giving a good rim job!

Wakka Wakka Wakka!

Attachments

Registered
?

Sonsider using a SOFT wood "chisel". I have often sanded the edge of a paint stir stick to be used for similar operations.
You can (count on) Chuck to be able to give sound advice on giving a good rim job!

Wakka Wakka Wakka!
spell check anyone?:stickpoke

Dave......read it:stickpoke:stickpoke:stickpoke

King of Bling
I'd have a go wth a Kango first and if that fails, then it's time for the Thermic Lance.

But remember to put some masking tape around the wheel to protect it from damage when using the T/Lance. You can't be too safe..

Registered
ive never taped my rim up what dose it feel like

Super Moderator
I'd have a go wth a Kangaroo first and if that fails, then it's time for iamLance.

But remember to put some masking tape around to protect it from damage when using iamLance. You can't be too safe..

Damn, never thought of that....:naughty:

Registered
Try steaming them off like they do to remove window tint on cars...this method softens the glue and this comes off with the tape, leaving minimal glue to remove with a scraper. steamers can be bought from auto parts/department stores for not very much,

Good luck

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Right!...I'm on my way to the garage armed with the 'knowledge' (and a hair dryer) now. I'll keep you posted on how I get on....(getting my rim tape off)
Thanks for all the suggestions Guys...I'll take them 'all' on board.

Oh, and I 'have' some masking tape at the ready...just to be safe!
Brian

Super Moderator
People, people ...people

You did not read Brians 1st post ...it's a Honda :stickpoke.

What you need Brian is a bag of good quality firewood, soak the wood in some cheap fuel or old used thinners.

Place Honda on wood pile, get someone you don't like to throw a match into the wood pile while standing a distance away, with a video camera. :shitfan:

Now watch that Rim tape disappear.:smoking:

Always happy to help Brian :naughty:

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
You did not read Brians 1st post ...it's a Honda :stickpoke.

What you need Brian is a bag of good quality firewood, soak the wood in some cheap fuel or old used thinners.

Place Honda on wood pile, get someone you don't like to throw a match into the wood pile while standing a distance away, with a video camera. :shitfan:

Now watch that Rim tape disappear.:smoking:

Always happy to help Brian :naughty:
OK Donsy...the rim tape 'has' disappeared....but the bike is still here!!
I took the advice given and used a hairdryer ..a plastic scraper..and some thinners.
Why anybody puts this stuff on their bike...any bike..even a 'Honda' is a mystery to me!
No video camera was used..and no bike harmed in the making of this commercial!:laughing::laughing:
But here is one or two shots..in case 'anyone' finds themselves in a similar situation.
Thanks for all your help guys
Brian:)

Attachments

Ball & Chain magnet
last step: buy new tires (tyres) :violin: Why does it link tires? I did not do that

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
The auto body guys also use plastic razor blades to remove decals without damaging paint.

http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Razor-Blades-100-Pack/dp/B0020WVBG8
Good Idea Ed...I used a plastic scraper (shown) ..but the only problem was that having to have almost 'constant' heat being applies to the rim tape to 'soften' the adhesive I found the plastic scraper beginning to 'deform' in the process. I don't know what type of glue is on this stuff...but without heat it's a nightmare to remove...the tape becomes quite 'brittle' and nearly impossible to remove any more than 1/2'' (if your'e lucky) at a time.
With the heat however...if you can get it 'started' it'll come off in much longer runs.....and when you've got to do both sides of the two wheels.....
Anyway It's done now ...and not a moment too soon. Horrible stuff!
I think someone earlier (Chuck I think) mentioned a wooden scraper sharpened to a 'chisel' end., and I think that's a great Idea.
Either way ..without 'heat' ...you'd be 'beat!':laughing:
Brian.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts