MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my F4 a couple of months ago, and am struggling with some physical limitations I have to ride it longer than an hour or two at a time.
I have a titanium plate and 4 screws in my neck (I had a disc removed-C6/C7 area) that limits my range of movement (imagine looking up) and prevents me from holding my head as far up as it will go for long periods of time. In addition, I have had recent surgery for a motocross injury to my right hand and wrist for torn ligaments. After the pins were removed, I went through a full rehab program to strengthen my hand to its full potential, but it will never be the same. The most recent analysis from the docs is that I have developed progressive arthritis in the thumb and will need to fuse some bones to eliminate constant pain, which I am unwilling to do at this point in my life.

I know I sound like a really old man with these injuries, but I am 44. The problem I have found with myself riding the F4 is that:

1. I live in Los Angeles -- a lot of slow-and-go traffic.
2. During this type of traffic, the riding position (which is currently stock -- the bike has a little over 400 miles on it) forces me to place a lot of pressure on my hand/wrist.
3. Once I get to open road and tuck in at speed, it is difficult to hold my head up

I have watched the threads on various suspension adjustments that can be made on the bike. I feel that if I can just achieve a little more upright riding position, it will be a lot more comfortable for me to ride--- I need to take some weight off of my hand. I am curious if anyone has used the Ferracci bar risers with any success, and what your thoughts were about them. Could they help? Should I consider lowering the rear a bit to help my situation? Am I SOL and should consider a Brutale with a more upright riding style? I don't want to completely compromise the handling, but need to make some adjustments. Where should I start?

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
As much as I love the Senna, I honestly think you will get more joy out of a Brutale, and Don't think the Brutale is a slouch in the performance department.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
i agree... with your past medical history... riding the F4 is NOT in YOUR best interest.
The Brutale would be FAR better..... but, it might not end up making you comfortable in the long run, either

speak to your neurosurgeon about the situation... you don't want to have a few minutes of pleasure followed by a lifetime of pain and suffering.... and we wouldn't want that for you, either

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
187 Posts
What Greg says,

You can improve your riding position but wether you do yourself a favour overall, I don't know.

Anyway I have the risers on my 916 and they make a big difference. My wrists and back started hurting after 1 hour with the stock clip ons. With the risers I can ride it for 3 hours without problems.
Another possibility is to lower the rear and lift the front to get the bike more leveled. Unfortunately this is going to effect the handling.
Installing a gel pad in the seat might also be a good idea.

Maybe a Brutale would be a better choice in your situation.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
fazer6 said:
As much as I love the Senna, I honestly think you will get more joy out of a Brutale, and Don't think the Brutale is a slouch in the performance department.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Bar risers...for MV F4

BTW: I plan on putting the Brutale bars on the F4 because I have the same problem with my wrist. Surgery hasn't helped much yet, but must ride nonetheless!!!

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Snappo said:
I think these are the Brutale bars fitted to the F4. Should make life MUCH more comfy!!!

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=359&highlight=risers

looks very interesting to me
more upright is good...
but having your elbows around your ears when trying to TUCK IN behind that screen at speed and still hold on to those bars... doesn't sound that comfortable to me

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the suggestions. I know that my worst-case-scenario is to switch to another bike, but I'm not giving up that easily. What I'm really looking for are suggestions like the Ferracci bar risers, etc. I don't think I'd go to the extreme of installing the Brutale bars on the bike -- too upsetting to the lines of the F4. I think I just need a few adjustments here and there. With enough small adjustments made -- collectively -- I'm hoping to achieve what I'm looking for. Please keep the ideas coming, I do appreciate it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Brutale handle bars for the F4...

:) I personally think that the Brutale bars look good on the F4, and don't detract from her overall sexxxxiness...
:hitit:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hello everyone,

I am so sorry to see that you and I have the same affliction- I would'nt wish this on anybody. I also have a spinal fusion, it is also C6/C7- I have a titanium bracket just like you, I have the rods that you mentioned, I have a steel "cage" as well. It was done so incorrectly that I am a 4x redo- that means Ive gone under the knife a total of five times. I am sure "spalding", "reopro" and all the other doctors on this site are cringing right now. I have been enjoying this site since it's inception but I have always been in the shadows as I have not really had anything valuable to add- but this, my friend- I can give you a little insight on! You need to make a decision about motorcycling and what it means to you. If you keep that beautiful machine you are in for some pain, to put it mildly.. I have logged 15,000 miles on my 2005 F4-1000, I live in a world of pain. maybe I put this on myself because I got the M/V after all of these surgeries but the bike makes me happy. I hope I am not coming off as some sort of "whining&complaining", "poor me" type-it really has been a life changing time for me. If you keep your bike you have got to "embrace the pain" some how, you've got make freinds with it somehow. This is going to be tricky! I try to focus on the rideing- I try to ignore the pain, it doesnt always work. To prove how difficult this has been for me- I must also mention that I am on my SECOND 2005 F4-1000- I destroyed my first one after only 3,000 miles because I was in so much pain that I lost focus and made a rather large error! Luckily my upper body was not very involved with my coming back to earth as it was'nt very fast and I enjoyed{?} a rather soft landing...

So I havent crashed lately, how have I managed to keep the M/V upright? I dont know, frankly. When I get on that bike I feel that all is right in the world- I can feel the stress leaving my battered body. When I get on that bike, there isnt any botched surgeries or war in the mideast, there isnt any famine or suffering across the globe, there isnt any politics that I dont agree with or financial difficulties that I may or may not be going through- there is only me and my bike!!! so I try to look at the ride as if I am one of our hero's in the Motogp or AMA or World Superbike, those fellas seem to soldier on through all kinds of pain and non-healing. They never seem to be anything close to healthy actually. "If they can do it so can I" is problably my secret mantra! Are those guys really tougher than you or I? Are they really stronger willed than you? I'd like to think that they are not! Granted they are by far more talented than us, they are outrageously faster than us- but superhuman? I think not- they are mostly just farmboys after all...Farmboys who have had unlimited acerage to ride and practice on since they were three or four years old!...With that kind of childhood I think everyone on this board might have a go on a Grand-Prix bike!, I know I would!! So this is how I justify it- I have convinced myself that those guys on the grid are no better than me!- just a different childhood enviroment so if they can ride&live through the pain, so can I.

I will get off the podium now{no pun intended}, get yourself some"throttelmeisters" so you can give your miserable spine a break from time to time. Those Ferraci riser's are an upgrade for our F4-750 riding friends as the 1000 already has them from the factory, good luck not having a gel seat melt all over the rear of your bike- I would not try that! I could be mistaken as I dont know what the chemical makeup of the gel is, but I think if would be BAD. These bikes run hot! These bikes were designed to go very fast for a very long time{multi- hour endurance racing}Its not a flaw its a "charactoristic"{spelling?}These bikes hate the U.S!They hate the U.S. speed laws, they hate the U.S. smog equipment and they HATE the U.S. traffic and congestion! Good luck, personal mesage me if you would like, I doubt the rest of the board will enjoy hearing about our ailing bodies..
Respect,

-Firebreathingdog

P.S. Take that "style-one",thanks for calling me out!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts