MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So come may, I will be riding my beloved Ago from southern california up to northern california along the famous PCH (hwy 1) along the coast. I've done my research on the route, and can't wait to ride through the scenic Big Sur area and take some great photos with the MV. (i've read up on pashnit and other ride logs for great stopping points). (PCH & 101 to san luis obispo, then PCH through big sur, carmel, santa cruz, then i'll be in familiar territory where i'll shoot the F4 over 9)

The F4 isn't exactly the most ideal bike to do this on, but i'm young (and hopefully "fit") and with some long rides beforehand, should be able to take this on with some stops along the way.

Anyone have any specific tips? I've read about a tire repair kit, some compressed air, food, lots of water, etc. I'll have my GPS with me on the Treo, but will probably not have it mounted (just check my progress at stops along the way). 2 Batteries, camera mount on my windscreen, 2 x 2GB sd cards for 1200+ pictures...

I also heard about taking some tylenol or other pain reducer to prevent cramping and such before I head off.

Any other tips for riding long distances (especially on the F4)? If anyone is interested and intends to head that way, would love to have a riding buddy. I'll most likely be leaving during the week (ie a thursday) at the start of May :). Less traffic along that route, the better!

·
Registered
673 Posts
I rode my R6 from San Diego to San Francisco and back in one weekend. I was in a hurry so I took the 5 up and back, which sucked.
My advice is to wear aerodynamic clothes, like a full suit. The wind at freeway speeds isn't a big deal when you're riding 30 or so miles to your destination, but it really starts to wear on you after 4 hours or so.

Make sure your cellphone is charged.

Carry a small can of plexus and a rag. You'll use it.

Throw on some race takeoffs before you go so you don't wear a flat spot on your good tires.

Wear earplugs.

Wave to all the cute girls and kids that you see in other cars.

OR

Just rent a u-haul and strap that bitch down in the back and drive...

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips. I'll be sure the cell is charged and everything. I'll have full gear and a backpack with me. I'll definitely have the earplugs in!

The race takeoffs are a good idea, but probably won't be an option unfortunately. I'll just have to find some good twisties up north to even it all out. I'm hoping to stop and rest here and there, maybe some 15min power naps to rest the body from the wind..

I'll definitely note the plexus & rag!!

·
Registered
673 Posts
+1 on the tank bag, especially if you planned on having a backpack thats crammed with stuff. I cant imagine a heavy backpack being comfortable on a long ride.

I can loan you my icon backpack/tankbag, depending on how long you'll be gone. Let me know.

Its this one (in black)
http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=2&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=PAR_I6011

I should probably also mention that I've only used it as a backpack - never as a tankbag, so I can't vouch for it in that "mode". But it supposed to be a tankbag first, and a backpack second, so I'm guessing it makes a great tankbag.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cryptyk said:
+1 on the tank bag, especially if you planned on having a backpack thats crammed with stuff. I cant imagine a heavy backpack being comfortable on a long ride.

I can loan you my icon backpack/tankbag, depending on how long you'll be gone. Let me know.

Its this one (in black)
http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=2&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=PAR_I6011
I'd just be gone a weekend (thurs->sunday) or something. I will most likely just carry the necessities, and have clothes and such waiting for me up north already.

I'll keep you posted, thanks!

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Taking regular breaks is a good idea; I found ~ 80 miles kept me fresh, and worked well for gas too. Try not to push the fuel range, you don't want to run out of gas and leave the bike in the middle of nowhere.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
I would recommend signing up for AAA or some other recovery service. But I've never had a bike in the states, so not sure if it is basically the same kind of cover as for a car. but had it in the UK and it was unfortunately useful a couple of times.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Good luck, it's a lovely road...one of the must do drives/rides in the world. Whatever you do, dont take highway 5, unless you can sleep and ride at the same time!

As has been said already, a loaded backpack will hurt the wrists, especially in the twisties.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I drive the 7 hrs from san diego to northern california on i-5 frequently (at least once a month for the past few years) so i'm quite accustomed to the long drive and straight road. I suppose that is the reason why i'm not entirely worried about the getting tired portion since i "trust" myself to know when to stop and rest

I've heard many things about Big Sur, and really want to see it for myself on the MV. I hope to pack light on the MV, with just the things i need for the ride itself (the rest that i'll need for the weekend will be up north already)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Don't go under 120kph to ease strain on your wrists. Don't use the clutch. Book a massage at both ennds of the trip. Beer at night helps too. Good luck!

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have AAA in Cali. It's great if your driving. They will bring you gas, get you into your car if you lock the keys in, change your flat tire, or tow your disabled vehicle to the nearest shop.
Of those, only the gas thing is useful on the bike, so, meh. It's only like 70$/year, iirc though. Cheap insurance when you consider the hassle of running out of gas just once.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I heard something about AMA and towing? I wonder if they would assist in situations out in the middle of nowhere?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I'm an Aussie and I have driven (rental car) from LA to San Fran via PCH about 3-4 times now.

I love the roads there. Especially the twisties before Montenery (spelling). The heavy forest area can get damp and slippery. I always drive in your summer time (our winter) and find that the weather is still cool over the northern side.

I personally wouldn't ride or drive at night. I saw a bit of wild life cross the roads just before sunset.

Watch out for those really big RV campervans that tows a complete full size car (not sure what you guys in the US call them - the misses and me are always amaze at the size of the thing). These RV goes really slow but when they are moving they kick up alot of dust etc.

I would bring some wet weather gear if you are planning to ride all the way. A couple of spare H3 bulbs, spare fuses and a tyre repaire kit just in case. Oh a first aid kit will also come in handy. Drink lots of water and lots of piss stop along the way. Those energy bars might come in handy as well.

Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I definitely will be avoiding the evening time. I want to do the trip all during the day, so I plan to get out of LA before traffic starts (5-6am).

Bulbs, spare fuses, will keep that in mind

·
Registered
583 Posts
As Archille said tank bag or two. I used to put my old bag on the back seat and one on the tank. Long rides for your tank bag make sure both the bag and tank are very clean I scratched the [email protected] out of my 999 with a dirty bag on long trip last year. I have found when I went on long rides with a heavy back pack have been the only times I was sore.This past aug-nov me and a friend meet up in myrtle beach about 180 miles one way and it was easy. I have done some trips close to 400 miles one way on my RC51 and also wasn't that bad. All of the trips I made the max I was in the place I was going was 2nights and then turn to go back home. The biggest for me was my ipod and chatter box thank god for those things. I always ride with a cellphone, I also have a treo like you. I fully charge it and pull the battery out so in case something happens I have a very full battery. I take some snacks like a clif bar and water just in case. Always lots of fun.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts