MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently finished the suspension installation on my 05 F4. I'm using an ohlins ttx rear shock and 2009 1078 forks.
I've trial and errored my way into getting the rear end set at a rideable point but it still kind of handles like shit. Anybody know where I can source one of the ride height tools to get it dialed in where it should be?

·
Old Wing Nut
25,215 Posts

·
Registered
2008 F4 312R, 2006 Brutale 910S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 1977 BMW R100/7, 1973 Honda CB350Four
18 Posts
I just ordered one. Hoping that it does indeed work on First Gen F4 and Brutale. Have an inquiry in to FBF for clarification.
12/01/22 Edit: Received confirmation from FBF that Ride Height Tool # F99017 will work on first Gen F4 and Brutale.

·
Super Moderator
25,951 Posts
I just ordered one. Hoping that it does indeed work on First Gen F4 and Brutale. Have an inquiry in to FBF for clarification.
12/01/22 Edit: Received confirmation from FBF that Ride Height Tool # F99017 will work on first Gen F4 and Brutale.
I'd love to see a comparison...and understand how the "universal" tool compensates for the chassis differences from First to Second generation.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
FWIW I obtained one of The Knurl’s ride height tools, which I understand was for the gen 1 bikes. In my reading at the time it was stated that the swingarm was 25mm longer. So I made a mark 25mm further on.
When I checked the ride height as per the manual, it fitted into the side plates without adjustment and I found that the ride height and sag as delivered when new required no adjustment. Exactly as per the workshop manual specs and method.
I was suitably satisfied to adjust dampening settings only on the rear, and explore options with sag and dampening settings on the front. I got to a point with my riding skills and style that I was happy with the way that the bike handled.
I note that the part numbers for the side plates are different between the gen 1 and gen 2, so cannot confirm if the difference is only colour or otherwise. Maybe someone with access to the frame data specs can find out.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I've got one of Noel's original tools which I bought for my gen 1 F4 (since sold) and I also have the FBF 99017 tool I bought for use with my gen 2 F4. Just for fun, a while ago, I checked both tools against an F41000R project I acquired and the measurements of the geometry were the same.

The relationship between the swinging arm pivot, the lower engine mount and the rear axle is obviously the same on the two bikes.

Just as an aside, I always thought Noel's tool was excellent value and I finally figured out how he did it. He sold advertising space on the inside of the packaging to local wineries!
Brown Wood Font Material property Art

1 - 12 of 12 Posts