MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Im new and took delivery of my first MV F4 EVO3 today. She is a real beauty. Its a 53 plate with just short of 300 miles on the clock and is as new.

But being a shorty 5ft 6 im finding it slightly too high for me. Is there a way of dropping it without ruining the handling?

Id like to go say 2" as im pretty much on tip toes as is

Cheers!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Welcome and Congrats! Get that bike in the registry.

The F4 is a tall bike. I'm 6' and both of my heels can't touch the ground at the same time, but its close.

Most people here will tell you it's sacrilege to lower the ride height of a motorcycle, so the common suggestion is to shave some foam out of the seat. Do some searches and you can probably find an old thread about thinning the seat cushion. I don't think you'll get more than a 1/2" though.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
As said before, do a search, you will find a mass of information and ideas, I recall Allan having posted heaps on this topic....good luck!

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the forum. The MV is a tall bike but there are a quite a few riders here your height or shorter. Try doing some searches on lowering ride height it has been well discussed here. I would also reccomend that you check that the height of your bike is at stock sttings and has not been raised...I'm 5ft 10 and could only just get my toes on the ground when I picked up my bike.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
agusta01 said:
As said before, do a search, you will find a mass of information and ideas, I recall Allan having posted heaps on this topic....good luck!
Hello. I'm the resident short person :laughing:

To answer your question. No, there's no way to lower the MV without compromising handling. ;) Seriously, it's not black and white but comes down to degrees of how you like the bike to handle and what you feel comfortable with. Also, good handling is pretty subjective too.

My bike needs a few more milimeters of rear height to be awesome in the corners but the downside is I will be only able to be on tippy toes instead of the balls of my feet. I'm 5'5 and have a 30 inseam. So, it's a constant trade off between handling and comfort level. And I say this after playing around with front and rear preload, compression, and tire pressure.

I think I've come to the point were I'm almost willing to raise the rear and ease up a bit on the rear preload (Yeah, I'm cheating by using preload to adjust the height a little bit because I'm constantly changing my mind on what's a safe level of risk).

Also, here some of my old threads about height, handling, and crashing. :)

1) When I bought the MV:
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2852

2) Growing Pains because the MV was lowered but not setup properly. It's better now:
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4684
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4118&page=1&pp=10

3) The downside of being short and not being able to get boot feet on the ground:
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4447

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies guys!!

I will have a look and keep you posted as to how I get on and will certainly put it on the register.

Im thinking a bit of safety as well here but if I do anything to the bike i will keep the standard parts and buy others to modify.

This is my first non 2 stroke sports bike so its going to take some getting used to as it is and I want as much control as possible

Im sure there will be loads more questions as I get into it

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I am 168cm tall (don't know what it is in foot and inches). So I quite small.

On the 750 I had the bike height to be 800mm from the seat to the ground and had I think 4 or 5 rings showing on the front forks. U-turns are shit on this bike. There is not much steering lock to lock.

I didn't have any problems with day to day riding. The safest way is to put your left foot down and right foot on the rear brakes. So really you just lean the bike abit.

You will only have troubles if you want to sit our your bike and trying to push it forward or reverse. So get use to getting off your bike and pushing the bike into position before getting on the bike.

Hmm two strokes? Well if you know how to ride a two stroke properly then the 750 has similar characteristic. Nothing in the bottom and mid but very strong power in the upper revs. Two strokes teaches you high entry speeds so if you ride the 750 like a two stroke your love it. Just watch out for the engine braking if your not use to it. There is no factory slipper so just match the revs when gearing down.

Learn how to countersteer properly as the MV is a heavy bike compare to your two-stroke. Trust me it took nearly 2 months to really ride the MV as fast as my two-stroke.

have fun.

MV_Owner said:
Thanks for the replies guys!!

I will have a look and keep you posted as to how I get on and will certainly put it on the register.

Im thinking a bit of safety as well here but if I do anything to the bike i will keep the standard parts and buy others to modify.

This is my first non 2 stroke sports bike so its going to take some getting used to as it is and I want as much control as possible

Im sure there will be loads more questions as I get into it

·
Registered
228 Posts
May sound obvious, but I just bought a new pair of Frey/Daytona boots that are made for short people. They add about 3/4 of an inch without showing it. The bonus prize is that they're the best boots I've ever owned.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No i hadnt thought of that. That would be a great solution. Unfortunately i just bought some alpine stars last year but they wont go to waste as i have another bike.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
On a Duke forum I frequent there's a guy who's just bought a 1098. He's 5'2". :jsm: I think it's more a case of someone's determination rather than anything else. Within reason you can ride whatever bike you like regardless of the seat height . I'm only 5' 7" so one of the taller shorties if that makes sense, but I wouldn't be put off buying a bike cos it was tall in the saddle. I had a Laverda Jota in the early 80's with a tall seat, early Hinkley Triumph's were all pretty tall in the seat too. Please don't let these things put you off, you'll get around any problems if you have the will to do so. :f4:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts