MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had another "stop eng gas position" error message when I went to go out for a pint at my local. Turn off engine, turn back on, runs through the diag procedure, it fires up but no throttle response. Engine ticks over, twisttbe grip, revs barely move.

Ten minutes of waiting try again all is good, but this is happening far too often and is really bugging me now. I:banghead::banghead: think it is the throttle assembly at fault, has anyone taken one of these apart and cleaned the internals with contact cleaner or something?

jimboF4

·
Registered
639 Posts
Mine is sealed with some kind of blue paint on the screws.
I never opener it, I think its a warranty issue....

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Why don't you get the replacement throttle? MV released a new throttle assembly (can identify with the heavier return spring) meant to solve this issue.

This has been available since the Rivale came out.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep my bike is still under warranty but whenever it goes near the dealer, it works fine. The fault is intermittent, and affects not just start up but also gives me some "throttle delay" moments when riding.

I think it can be just a simple dirty resistor assembly and maybe a clean could be all it needs, being 200 miles from my dealer does not help, somebody screwed it together, maybe I should get in there and have a clean up?

jimboF4

·
Registered
639 Posts
If you have the "early" model throttle with the light return spring you could ask for the the newer model.
I believe they just replace the return spring, and while they open it for this replacement...... They might just give it a good cleaning as well ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi jimbo,
I've been having the same problem too. I got my bike April of this year and its happened about 10 times now, but it seems to be getting more frequent so that's why I finally started to look for a solution. At first it only seemed to happen if there was a dramatic temperature change so I thought it might be related to the temperature sensor. But now I'm not so sure. Like you, I don't live close to a dealer or I'd bring it in (but if it keeps up I'll breakdown and bring it in and ask for that throttle replacement). If you have any luck on your end let me know.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Koaster, sorry to hear your having these troubles. I had a scary moment with my bike just over six weeks ago, outside lane of a UK motorway fairly shifting along (ahem) and throttle went dead and engine to tick over. Was an experience getting safely to the hard shoulder. It happened again ten minutes later same situation, scared the crap out of me, nearly munched by a big truck.

My bike is now in a dealer, has been inspected, they even witnesses the fault themselves,reported it to MV in Italy who have authorised the replacement of the throttle assembly, the wiring loom and the complete throttle bodies assembly. Bad news is I am still waiting on parts. MV do know about these issues, and apparently they recently changed suppliers of the throttle assembly part, so that kinda confirms my suspicion that is the issue, however, they are authorising loom and throttle bodies as well just to be sure. Mine is not the only one to have had this done as well, it must be costing the factory a lot of money.

Hope you get yours resolved soon.

jimboF4

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same problem for me. My B800 started to give the 'Gas Position Stop Engine' fault sometime after the first service in May 2014 (bike new in April 14). The dealer (Motocorsa) seemed to think it may have been caused by the new map uploaded during the service which they subsequently re-loaded. The problem continues to manifest itself intermittently; one day the bike will not run, another it's OK and then it will start, I'll put fuel in and then it'll give the error. It's totally random.

The problem is still there and it transpires that a number of owners are experiencing this problem and the fix is to replace the throttle and throttle bodies under warranty. Mine is due to go in for the fix next week when the parts turn up from MV.

I'll report back in due course.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Just so happens that today I picked my B800 up from the dealers after some warranty work on the dead throttle issue.

The MV factory made the dealer check my bikes mapping was correct,inspected the bike for obvious issues like poor wiring connections etc. Outcome was the factory agreeded to replace the throttle assembly which now is the later heavy spring revised Rivale twistgrip, the wiring loom and the complete throttle bodies assembly.

Took a while for the parts to arrive but happy to say it is now running really good. Hoping to put some good miles on it over the next few days.

jimboF4

·
Registered
14,407 Posts
????

I love electronic bullshit.......

isn't ANY of it ever tested before being sent out?????

and what was wrong with a throttle cable?

I've never had a problem with one in over 1,400,000 miles :drummer::drummer:

:naughty:

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Noel,
I bet that all the parts were tested on assembly and must have passed QA, my bike now has 5k miles on it, the fault started a while back and was intermittent, could not get it to replicate when visiting the dealership.

It has been a while but finally I had the bike at the dealer and they saw it for themselves. Not all bikes are affected just an unlucky few. MV came good with the parts and I am happy with the result. I suspect the throttle twist grip assembly is the issue, a cheap part which has now been re-designed by MV.

One thing for sure any future MV 3 and 4 cylinder bikes will feature the same technology, no going back to bits of steel wire.

jimboF4

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Noel,
I bet that all the parts were tested on assembly and must have passed QA, my bike now has 5k miles on it, the fault started a while back and was intermittent, could not get it to replicate when visiting the dealership.

It has been a while but finally I had the bike at the dealer and they saw it for themselves. Not all bikes are affected just an unlucky few. MV came good with the parts and I am happy with the result. I suspect the throttle twist grip assembly is the issue, a cheap part which has now been re-designed by MV.

One thing for sure any future MV 3 and 4 cylinder bikes will feature the same technology, no going back to bits of steel wire.

jimboF4
Jimbo you’d lose that bet. Case in point, my bike was delivered with the throttle bodies out of sync. Two years later the factory sends a new complete throttle body assembly and it too was out of sync! The assemblies are supposed to be bench calibrated so they are just plug-n-play. However, it’s clear that in many cases they are not.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Stephen, I have never had a stall or rough running issue with my bike, when it worked it was just fantastic, but every now and again I would get the dead throttle issue, so no amount of calibration was going to fix that.

I am pretty sure there was nothing wrong with the wiring loom or the throttle bodies, I have always suspected the issue was the RBW twistgrip. But MV authorised the claim and replaced the lot, an expensive fix but who am I to bitch.

The good news is the bike is running real good again and I am beginning to enjoy my riding again,hope you F3 is doing the same for you, you deserve that.

jimboF4

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got the bike back from Motocorsa yesterday. The throttle bodies and throttle assembly were all replaced. I took it for a good blast after picking it up and the issue seems to have been remedied........hopefully for good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts