MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why oh why didn't I do this 2 years ago....
The difference, or transformation of the bike seems amazing.

I've only been on a small blast just to feel the difference, but I'm more than happy with the improvement.
I was all excited about the pipes being louder, but what really impressed me was the improved throttle responce and pick up....it pulls harder, spins quicker and growls louder....MV heaven.

Cant wait to get to the track...

·
Registered
8,860 Posts
Velocemoto said:
Why oh why didn't I do this 2 years ago....
The difference, or transformation of the bike seems amazing.

I've only been on a small blast just to feel the difference, but I'm more than happy with the improvement.
I was all excited about the pipes being louder, but what really impressed me was the improved throttle responce and pick up....it pulls harder, spins quicker and growls louder....MV heaven.

Cant wait to get to the track...
Video! Share the sounds and feelings :stickpoke

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Veloce, well done mate!
...how are you coping with the little spot just below 5000rpm? :cross:

Agree with you comments, apart from the sound the pick up over 5000 is just so turbine like, I thought I was an a different bike....well I guess thats why you fit them!
Have fun! :)

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
agusta01 said:
Veloce, well done mate!
...how are you coping with the little spot just below 5000rpm? :cross:
:)
Don't forget Graham, Pete has the 750 so it might not be the same. :nerd:

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Wow, you have the MV for so long and just now installed the RG3???
I though you had them for a long time.
I don't have them, so let's hear your impressions :stickpoke

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Could never justify the price for RG3's, but these were the ones on Ebay. Less than half price :)
I was suppose to replace the hot water service on the house, but that will have to wait....pipes took priority of course !
Making sure the misses has hot water is next on my "To Do" list :laughing:

Don't forget Graham, Pete has the 750 so it might not be the same
Yeah...I didn't notice any flat spots. 750 has always been pretty gutless down low, but my bike has never had a flat spot as such.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
john said:
Don't forget Graham, Pete has the 750 so it might not be the same. :nerd:
Doh! Should have paid attention!
Anyway for the record there is a small hole in the curve at about 4800rpm, obviously dependant on other variables, and only noticable in certain conditions, however lasts microseconds and hang on when it moves above 5000rpm.
Only really noticable when picking up out of corner.....feels not dissimilar to the EBS action in some conditions

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Velocemoto said:
improved throttle responce and pick up....it pulls harder, spins quicker and growls louder....MV heaven
Nice!

Do you have the sp headers Pete? You can look forward to an even more visceral difference here if not. You'll have to change the way you approach your same 'ol corners! I couldn't believe the difference in the mid and response with both!! :)

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JamesC said:
Nice!

Do you have the sp headers Pete? You can look forward to an even more visceral difference here if not. You'll have to change the way you approach your same 'ol corners! I couldn't believe the difference in the mid and response with both!! :)
You know James...after my first little ride with the RG3's, I thought exactly the same thing...I'm going to have to subtly adjust how I ride the MV....there really is quite a difference. It felt like the whole TPC has been shifted by the new chip and pipes...looking forward to it.

Can only imagine what the SP headers add as well.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ended up removing all the rG3's as i wasn't happy with how they looked...the tips had been bead blasted which looked ok, but the main bodies of the exhausts had a very fine bead blasting as well....

After 4 odd hours of sanding and polishing the main bodies, i put them back on the bike....tips remain bead blasted.

Picture shows polished exhausts with bead blasted tips...

Tips - finish of bead blashing is quite nice on tips

far more open than the stock pipes....

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Great job, well done!
Little undecided on how to approach polishing my exhausts, will leave the tips standard RG3 (new release) colour, as I like this over the 'copper' stock colour. Highly polished or muted a bit...not sure, but yours look great!

What about that mirror surface finish, I think there is an outlet in Melbourne...can't think what the trade name is right now...

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MV-999R said:
Hmmmmm...... nice job Pete.

So, before you did that the main bodies were "shinny"??
No..they were dull, with a really fine bead blasting...no idea why. They looked way too "frosted" once on the bike...
Pic below shows how I bought them from the seller. I knew the finish was dodgey, but I was paying less than half price :smoking:

I ended up attacking the main bodies of the exhaust with 320 wet and dry..followed by 400, 600, 800 and 1000.........stopped there ,didn't want a mirror finish. Finally hit them with steelo, then some metal polish. Much happier now with the final result.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Velocemoto said:
No..they were dull, with a really fine bead blasting...no idea why. They looked way too "frosted" once on the bike...
Pic below shows how I bought them from the seller. I knew the finish was dodgey, but I was paying less than half price :smoking:

How much did you pay Pete? I'm looking at some second hand Sil-Motos at the mo, if I can get them below £200 I think I'll take the plunge. :conveyer:

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
awiner said:
Pete, did you buy those from Guido in Florida ? They look like a set he had blasted.
Yes, that's them.
Do you have any history on these pipes ???
No idea why he blasted the whole body.....but they have been restored to their original beauty. :naughty:

1 - 20 of 63 Posts