MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

As in earlier post, i switched the standard cans on my 750 out for a set of silmoto's and an RG3 chip last week.

I've had the chance to take it out today, it sounds great, the throttle response seems considerably better, but i have noticed something that i wanted to check with you guys.

I expected it to increase the rev limiter, but I wasnt expecting how much it has - with the standard chip, the shift light came on at 12,200 and limiter kicked in at 12,700 - as is standard, i believe.

With the RG3 chip, the shift light doesn't even start until past 13k, and the rev limiter hadn't kicked in up to 14k, although the shift light was going nuts, and it was still pulling strong - my mechanical sympathy kicked in at this point, as I didnt want a piston in the face.

Whats the score here - what is the RG3 chip supposed to raise the rev limit to?

Thanks
Dale

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Hi Dale,I have a 2001 F4750s fitted with RG3's, At the same time I fitted the SPR down pipes which also came with another (identical chip). These were MV Special parts, the paperwork indicated the new chip would suit the exhaust and add 500 rpm to the rev limit.

Mine revs to 13,200 when the rev limiter light comes on and then the hard rev limiter a few rpm higher. I have never seen 14,000rpm indicated, that seems very high.

Regards jimboF4

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Jimbo

Many thanks for the quick reply, that was my initial feeling on it. I'm fairly sure it was 14k rpm, although i have to admit, it was a very quick glance at the tacho!

Does your chip look like the following?

If so - im a little confused :)

Dale

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Nope, that is not an MV special parts chip. (But it is ina special parts plastic box) That chip was made by Casoli, an independent MV dealer a while back, think they have ceased trading now.

So not sure what they burned into your chip, if it was around 14k I would say that's a bit too high.

Edited to say does the chip have a paper stick-on label if so peel it back and see whats underneath.

jimboF4

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, that is not an MV special parts chip. (But it is ina special parts plastic box) That chip was made by Casoli, an independent MV dealer a while back, think they have ceased trading now.

So not sure what they burned into your chip, if it was around 14k I would say that's a bit too high.

jimboF4
Hmmm, thats an interesting one then, i thought that might have been the case, but wasnt sure if they were burned by Casoli or not.... I know the cans and chip came out of an F4 750 that was being put back to standard to be sold. It seems to run bloody well though, at least the seat of pants dyno feels good.

As i said, it was a glance, but it was definitely over 13.5k

Dale

Edit - it does indeed have a paper label on it - but i've been on the beer since getting back in, so I dont fancy taking the ECU out at the moment :)

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Hi Dale,

Its always beer-o-clock somewhere, wise move to leave the alone for now. I had some dealings with Casoli, they had a shop in north London a while ago, were into Ducati and MV when they launched the F4 750. They used to offer gutting of original exhausts and chips to suit. Even done a big bore kit at one time. Have not heard of them for at least five years now.

Cheers jimbo

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Try living in Newcastle mate, its always beer o'clock here :)

Sounds like I need to find someone with a Casoli chip and compare notes.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Standard chips read 13100 rev limit, the most I have seen on any 750 chip is 13300 from an evo or spr - same limit.

Cheers
Adam

Try living in Newcastle mate, its always beer o'clock here :)

Sounds like I need to find someone with a Casoli chip and compare notes.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hi Merc,

Thanks for the update - looks like i will be putting the standard chip back in for the moment, i dont really want to lunch the engine, after all.

Jimbo - the casoli chip doesnt have anything under the label.... did casoli produce a hot chip by any chance - for race bikes or something similar?

Meanwhile, anyone got a legit rg3 / silmoto chip for sale? :)

Dale

Edit - think it might be a good idea to actually check the standard chip to make sure the rev counter isnt over-reading too......

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just been checking the MV FAQ - apparently the 750 Senna had a 13,900 hard limit, with SPR headers and RG3 cans on.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, that was interesting - seems I hadn't been paying attention up till the other day. I put the standard chip back in, shift light comes on at 12,700, hard limiter at 13,300.

Looks like i need to be speaking to the previous owner tomorrow. I also looked on the MQ Faq again, and it appears that i was missing the white cover for the EPROM chip - although it did have some of the grey silicon goop on each end.....

So, either i have a race chip in already, or its over-reading by about 600 rpm on the rev counter.

Dale

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Hi Merc,

Thanks for the update - looks like i will be putting the standard chip back in for the moment, i dont really want to lunch the engine, after all.

Jimbo - the casoli chip doesnt have anything under the label.... did casoli produce a hot chip by any chance - for race bikes or something similar?

Meanwhile, anyone got a legit rg3 / silmoto chip for sale? :)

I have not seen a Senna chip - didn't realise they had a 13900 limit !
I have the silmoto, spr, evo- what is it you want it for ?

Adam

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Adam,

Its for an '01 plate F4 750, standard headers, with silmoto cans, standard air filter at the moment, but will be getting a BMC or similar before she goes back on the road in the spring.

If you could PM me with a cost it would be appreciated - although i want to confirm with the previous owner which chip it currently has in - as i said above, its hitting hard limiter at 13,300, so it sounds like it may already have an RG3 chip or similar in.

Dale

·
Registered
358 Posts
It still bothers me the tach on my 312 shows 17K. Will it really damage the engine to rev higher say 15K? Many bikes have limiters set lower then they should for maximum reliability on the street bikes. Could the F4 be that way? Knowing MV and their "it's a race bike deal with it" logic they set it to the max limit but seems weird they would show 17 on the clock.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im not sure i really agree with you there Doom - most manufacturers produce rev counters on their bikes that dont rev all the way out - they may even 2 or 3k of revs that are unusable, but they are coloured red at that point - take a look at the 07 zx6r as a case in point - its rev limit is just over 16k, but the limiter goes to 20k on the clock. I would guess the decision was made not to do this because red on yellow would look a little..... tacky.

Ideally the hard rev limit would be 14k for me - thats at 12 o'clock on the tacho, a nice quick glance tells you if you're near the limiter or not - im not sure if honda are still doing this on their road bikes, but my NC30 was arranged like this, and it made sense.

As for overrevving it? Try it - theres a reason manufacturers set them at a lower level - im sure its possible, but I dont really fancy overhauling the engine every 2000 miles :)

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Hi Dale,

Just a word of caution on paying out for chips and stuff without knowing what you are looking at.

Firstly RG3 is the name given to the MV Special parts system exhaust cans, back in the early 750 model days they were offered as an extra to MV owners and came as part of the 750 Senna package. The RG3 chip shipped with the exhausts were designed for the 750 models at the time.

When MV switched to the production of the 1000s model the same RG3 exhaust was on sale but a different chip was needed for the bigger engine. Lots of chips have been produced by various companies all to suit there own end cans and of course claim bigger hp gains.

I would hold fire on replacing your current installed chip which came with the Silmoto's, it's most likely been well matched to your cans. You say it seems fit on road so I would have the bike dynoed just to see whats going on. You do not mention any Power commander been fitted.

We bought another set of RG3's for our 1000R in 2009 that came with an MV Corse RG3 chip which of course we never needed as the R has a different ecu. In all I have 4 spare chips for the 1.6m ecu here, the original out of my early 750, the spare RG3 750 matched chip, the RG3 1000S Corse chip and a spare out of the wife's highly modded Brutale.

The only way to see what chip set suits your bike and confirm the rpm is some dyno time.

My early (2001) 750 s 1+1 has done well over the years, lots and lots of trackday time, getting ridden pretty hard, at the rear wheel she shows 124.6 bhp, gives really good mpg, runs cool and has 25k on the clock, rode her this sunday and she still rocks.

jimboF4

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Calm down mate

It still bothers me the tach on my 312 shows 17K. Will it really damage the engine to rev higher say 15K? Many bikes have limiters set lower then they should for maximum reliability on the street bikes. Could the F4 be that way? Knowing MV and their "it's a race bike deal with it" logic they set it to the max limit but seems weird they would show 17 on the clock.
Go ride the thing and see how high it will rev, nowhere near 15k never mind 17k.:stickpoke
And that is a fact.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Im not sure i really agree with you there Doom - most manufacturers produce rev counters on their bikes that dont rev all the way out - they may even 2 or 3k of revs that are unusable, but they are coloured red at that point - take a look at the 07 zx6r as a case in point - its rev limit is just over 16k, but the limiter goes to 20k on the clock. I would guess the decision was made not to do this because red on yellow would look a little..... tacky.

Ideally the hard rev limit would be 14k for me - thats at 12 o'clock on the tacho, a nice quick glance tells you if you're near the limiter or not - im not sure if honda are still doing this on their road bikes, but my NC30 was arranged like this, and it made sense.

As for overrevving it? Try it - theres a reason manufacturers set them at a lower level - im sure its possible, but I dont really fancy overhauling the engine every 2000 miles :)
Do you really rev your bike to the end of the rev range every time you ride it ? If not why worry about it man :stickpoke.
If you do, you are bloody quick and need a bigger bike, reving it to the limiter every now and again won't do any damage, it was designed to go there mate. Just go out and ride it and have some fun.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Dons,

Do i use all the rev range on the road? Yeah. Every time? No, of course not, but a reasonable amount. Keeping up with big thou's is very satisfying :)

I have no issue with hitting the rev limiter occasionally, as you say, but if the bike is running 1000 - 1200 revs over spec before it hits the limiter, thats something that worries me. I've had a missed gear on a trackday blow valve stem seals before, on a standard engine. I wouldn't like to imagine what would happen if there was something up with that chip and the limiter had been set higher - at say, 14,500. A missed gear on a wide open throttle in that scenario could be very expensive.

Also, on my zx6, you can tell when you're at the very extreme of the rev range without looking at the tacho - like its telling you to change up. On the MV, there doesn't seem to be the.... i don't know how to explain it, but it doesn't feel like its running out of juice until you hit the limiter and your nuts bounce off the tank :)

Its peace of mind more than anything else. I love my F4 to bits, and would be literally devastated if i lunched the engine :)

Hi jimbo,

As you say, the chip that came with the sil's does feel good - After going out yesterday, theres no noticeable difference over the chip it came with though. If anything, that chip feels a little meatier - which is making me think that it may in fact not be a standard chip

I know the previous owner sold my current bike as he bought an F4 1000. I also know that he wasn't short of a few notes either - As the plastic cover was missing from the ECU chip, and the ECU had clearly been opened before I got hold of it, I'm wondering if he transferred the cans across, but left the chip in, as it was of no use on the thou.

Thanks for the PM - you should have a reply.

Dale

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Hi Dons,

Do i use all the rev range on the road? Yeah. Every time? No, of course not, but a reasonable amount. Keeping up with big thou's is very satisfying :)

I have no issue with hitting the rev limiter occasionally, as you say, but if the bike is running 1000 - 1200 revs over spec before it hits the limiter, thats something that worries me. I've had a missed gear on a trackday blow valve stem seals before, on a standard engine. I wouldn't like to imagine what would happen if there was something up with that chip and the limiter had been set higher - at say, 14,500. A missed gear on a wide open throttle in that scenario could be very expensive.

Also, on my zx6, you can tell when you're at the very extreme of the rev range without looking at the tacho - like its telling you to change up. On the MV, there doesn't seem to be the.... i don't know how to explain it, but it doesn't feel like its running out of juice until you hit the limiter and your nuts bounce off the tank :)

Its peace of mind more than anything else. I love my F4 to bits, and would be literally devastated if i lunched the engine :)

Hi jimbo,

As you say, the chip that came with the sil's does feel good - After going out yesterday, theres no noticeable difference over the chip it came with though. If anything, that chip feels a little meatier - which is making me think that it may in fact not be a standard chip

I know the previous owner sold my current bike as he bought an F4 1000. I also know that he wasn't short of a few notes either - As the plastic cover was missing from the ECU chip, and the ECU had clearly been opened before I got hold of it, I'm wondering if he transferred the cans across, but left the chip in, as it was of no use on the thou.

Thanks for the PM - you should have a reply.

Dale
Where are you based ? - If you are unsure what chip is what, I can read it for you and confirm if it is standard and let you know all the parameters such as the rpm limit etc.

The main difference on the Silmoto chip is a hole in the fueling is filled in at about 5000rpm and 200 extra rpm is added to the limit. The ignition is left the same, as is the rest of the fueling.

To be honest none of the chips will be perfect, you need to get it tuned.

Cheers
Adam

1 - 20 of 24 Posts