MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14,413 Posts

·
Administrator
19,530 Posts
They are pretty and can save you money on oil filters....but then you will spend all that and more on rebuilding the engine when the plain bearings die from the trash it doesn't filter out.

·
Registered
14,413 Posts
They are pretty and can save you money on oil filters....but then you will spend all that and more on rebuilding the engine when the plain bearings die from the trash it doesn't filter out.
+1000 :drummer:

·
Registered
14,413 Posts
richd748;

lets look at it from another view.....

the Scott filter is $134.59 call it $140 with shipping and it filters for shit

the best spin on filter, the Purolator PL14612 is ~$7 with tax...

so you have to do 20 oil changes before its cheaper to use, at 5,000mi a change, your bottom end might not make it:naughty::naughty::naughty:

simple buy the best rated filter....way cheaper in the long run :drummer:

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
I'm almost as tight as a Yorkshireman and I wouldn't even dream of using a washable metal oil filter...not when you can just drain out the paper ones and shove 'em straight back on ?

Joe

ps I was kidding !

·
Registered
619 Posts
We use them on turbine aircraft engines, different beast, all ball and rollers @ 33k+ rpm.
I would never use them on a plain bearing engine.

Ed :)

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
We use them on turbine aircraft engines, different beast, all ball and rollers @ 33k+ rpm.
I would never use them on a plain bearing engine.

My Laverda Jota 1000 1980 has no oil filter..It has a metal gauze which would filter out nuts and bolts ; ) .

The recommended oil change interval is 1500 miles.

The engine is still perfect after 34 years...

Oh and yes she has ball bearing mains...

Joe

·
Registered
619 Posts
Ah yes Joe, those Laverdas, a unique machine to say the least.
The quality paper/cotton/gauze filters have proven superior for many decades.
Friends and I built a 2200cc VW roller motor back in the 70s, roller mains and rods, twin DelOrthos, high volume oil pump. 68 Beetle w/Porsche 6cyl trans axle.
Christ would that thing spin up fast! We would spank big block Chevelles and Camaros/Mustangs in a 50 yard drag, front wheels up!
But it would make metal if you let it lug down!

There was a time when many applications used no filtered oil, sometimes engineers learn, sometimes they are doomed to rehash lessons others have already leaned!

Mesh filtering has been around for decades too, it has its applications, I do not believe the Agustas are one of them. Caveat Emptor

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I use mine on my track bike so the volume of oil is not being restricted by the oil filter. I change the oil a lot so dirty isn't a worry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts