MV Agusta Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
First of all: ABS and "cornering ABS" are two very different things, "old fashioned ABS" like the systems on the Gen2 F4 are simple "anti -lock braking systems" .. They modulate the force you bring to the braking system by pulling the brake lever (or pedal) when they detect the wheel starting to slip on the surface - on the way to actually locking the wheel. We all know that a blocked wheel looses most of its friction, making braking ineffective, and dumping you on the ground in the case of a locked front wheel on a bike. (in LESS than .2 seconds I can tell you from personal experience..)
"cornering ABS" tries its best to avoid the wheels slipping sideways, when you brake at a leaned over angle- but it can NOT always do this .. It will not save your bacon in all circumstances -- I have personally witnessed more than one spill with people on BMW S1000RR's both on track and the road - lowsides and highsides ..

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
First of all: ABS and "cornering ABS" are two very different things, .................
"cornering ABS" tries its best to avoid the wheels slipping sideways, when you brake at a leaned over angle- but it can NOT always do this .. It will not save your bacon in all circumstances -- .............
Thanks for clarifying. However, I don't think anyone misunderstood the differences between the two! (y)

As for the functionality of Cornering ABS, I've been following this for a while, reading/watching reviews. I'm pretty impressed!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Cant understand your obsession for ABS. But what do you mean about RSV valvetrain problems?

Maybe im tad off topic here...

·
Registered
448 Posts
I talked to one of the BMW S1000RR riders that had a spectacular highside on track .. He is an experienced track-day enthusiast, and his explanation of the highside was that he felt very confident in braking quite hard into the corner, but felt the rear begin to "oscillate" so let of of the rear brake at which point the bike highsided him violently .. To me this would indicate that the cornering ABS (Which is supposed to be one of the best systems on the BMW!) actually exacerbated the force of the highside, maybe cutting in and letting off on the rear brake at the same time as the rider ..

This sunday I personally did a test ride on a BMW S1000R (Naked bike version) with the full electronic package . I purposely did a small test on a side road in a newly built industrial estate, where I knew there was a corner with a stripe of fine gravel across it .. passing this strip at a fair lean angle, all you experinece is a slight rear end shake - This I have done many times on my own bikes (Its a part of one of the training courses I have done on "fast road riding") On the BMW I decided to try to see what would happen if I was very lightly on the brakes when passing the sand/gravel -- I was not surprised to find that the shake I experienced was a bit more severe than when not on the brakes, but that it would feel much worse with the "cornering ABS" engaged was a bit surprising, and the BMW felt VERY unstable just AFTER passing the sand.. When I tried the same on my Ducati ST4s ABS I had the same reaction to a light brake touch, but no instability after passing the sand.

The corner traction control is one of the really nice benefits of having 3-axis EMUs and gyro's on a bike - Being able to spin the rear wheel coming out of moderately slow corners (even on public roads :geek: ) without riskin an expensive slide is hilarious fun .. Just don't let the cops see you doing it in my country, that would cost you at least a steep fine and a point on your license :sick:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Cant understand your obsession for ABS. But what do you mean about RSV valvetrain problems?
You're correct to call it an 'obsession'! Ever since I started following Cornering ABS, I realized what a game changer it was. Plain old, simple ABS alone could be a welcome safety net. I've had a couple of minor lock-ups in different scenarios, while on F4. I analyze everything. To me, it comes down to risk mitigation. I'm not gonna stop riding; most, if not all, here would share a similar view. So, why not try to find ways to mitigate whatever we can?

As for the RSV4's valve train issues, well, there are many!
  • Needs frequent valve clearance checks. Still, there have been blown engines with correct valve clearance.
  • Valve Springs can break.
  • Valve Seats can wear off quick.
  • And, a few other related issues.

Overall, there are many RSV4s running around with good reliability (with its quirks, of course). However, there are also many blown engines! So far, MY19 and MY20 seem to be the most stable. I've been monitoring that model closely for more than five years!

........... but felt the rear begin to "oscillate" so let of of the rear brake at which point the bike highsided him violently .. To me this would indicate that the cornering ABS (Which is supposed to be one of the best systems on the BMW!) actually exacerbated the force of the highside, maybe cutting in and letting off on the rear brake at the same time as the rider ..

This sunday I personally did a test ride on a BMW S1000R (Naked bike version) with the full electronic package . ................but that it would feel much worse with the "cornering ABS" engaged was a bit surprising, and the BMW felt VERY unstable just AFTER passing the sand.. ........
S 1000 RR doesn't have Cornering ABS!

Another key thing to remember is, actual implementation of the specs/components could vary widely, in terms of effectiveness, between Make/Models. In other words, same Bosch system could "feel" and probably even act, differently between, say, RSV4 Factory and Duc V4 R. Comes down to how well the system gets integrated, tested and tweaked for that specific application/model.

·
Registered
448 Posts
@henry-a --- Get your facts checkked!!! Of course "BMW ABS Pro" has "cornering ABS" -- I've used it on 3 different BMW bikes .. The S1000RR 2020 model, the S1000R and the S1000XR -- You have to add the ABS Pro "package" to the bike .. it is an "extra" that almost everyone here buys, since it gives you a tax deduction.. Setting ABS Pro to "race mode" does disable the "cornering ABS"-
Your statement of "following cornering ABS closely" seems to be a selective "following" .........

I've had a test ride on track on the 2018 model of the Aprilia RSV4, but since I'm not a very fast rider, I never came near any limits :sneaky: The two motor journalists that were there did however, and one of them also went beyond the limits :LOL: I do not know if he had the cornering ABS mode active on the RSV at the time though .. looked to me like he did an "on the power low side" - so the cornering traction control did not save him ..

·
Registered
869 Posts
ABS ha, I was a rook once..

21 - 27 of 27 Posts