MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Got a fairly new 2012 F4R (first MV coming from mainly R1's) and I find when I'm city riding my right foot doesn't sit properly on the peg (kind rolls around, never had this issue with the R1's from memory), left foot sits fine thou. I'm thinking it's the length of the foot peg maybe and considering my gear foot it always working is why I have that issue on the left side and not the brake side (on a quick side note, is the rear brake on the MV suppose to be almost totally useless? I mean I have to use most of my weight to get the bike to brake.).

Is my foot retarded or has anyone else experienced this? Should I look at getting longer/wider Pegs? Riding position is comfortable enough so need need for adjustable rearsets.

Any advise, help and tips would be great.

Cheers :yo:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi Coddie, not sure why you feel a difference between right and left as the F4 pegs are absolutely rubbish... no grip at all. I would advise you to replace them by CRC footpegs, they cost US$40 for a pair from China and have great grip.

On your rear brake question, it is true it is not really usefull but should still allow you to brake. Had the same issue and solution is to pump on the pedal for quite a long time. I don't know for what reason but the rear brake loses pressure quite quickly. Other option is to change the DOT4, although this is surprising to do it soo early.

·
Administrator
20,750 Posts
I think the bike came with DOT4 fluid.......rear brakes are only for stabilizing the chassis entering turns, or holding the bike when stopped. If it had much power at all you would be locking the wheel and skidding around. Use the front brake.

And the pegs (same as many Ducatis) are junk. Get some with a more aggressive surface as suggested.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, good to know (I think) that the stock ones are rubbish. I'll order some asap, any suggestion on brand? I will go thru one of our sponsors.

As far as the back brake is concerned, yeah I only use it for turning and holding the bike at traffic lights, didn't realize I used it so much until now. I may have to get it looked at, I know on the R1's I've owned with the pressure I put on the MV brake just to feel it working I'd be locking up the back.

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
I've read much about how terrible the foot pegs are yet I've never had a problem with them, once adjusted to exactly how I want them.

I changed mine (to Sato racing, round type) for the heck of it just to see (thinking maybe I was retarded) and I still noticed nothing different other than my wallet being lighter - so I suppose I did gain a weight saving out of it :crazyeyes

I never ride in the wet, I can see the more aggressive surface making a difference there I guess.

Perhaps it comes down to riding style - who knows? I must say, the Sato racing ones do look kind of cool though, so there's that. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've just ordered a set of cheap pegs to see if it makes a difference, slipping makes sense and possible because I mainly ride with work shoes or runners (no tracks here so just cruising mainly) it could be a combination of shoe and peg.

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
I've just ordered a set of cheap pegs to see if it makes a difference, slipping makes sense and possible because I mainly ride with work shoes or runners (no tracks here so just cruising mainly) it could be a combination of shoe and peg.
Ah good point, I think you've found the variable - I only ever ride in boots, funny how that's not come up in discussion (or at least that I've seen) previously.

I am not sure about the 2012 F4R but the older ones had a smooth round bit on the end of the peg, I guess if your (I don't specially you but anyone in general) riding style hangs your foot right on the edge of the peg, I can't see much grip being offered there regardless of what footwear you have.

I think getting some cheapies as a test is a pretty smart move. ;)

Good luck with it all & I really hope you get to love your bike. :f4:

·
Registered
14,676 Posts
more grip?

MV Special Parts offers 3 different rear sets/pegs for the 2nd gen MVs

non adjustable with a fine cast knurled pattern on the pegs;
http://www.mvagusta.it/common/shop/special-parts/ergal-accessories/kit-poggiapiedi

'Strada' 6 position adjustable with rubber inserts in the pegs;
http://www.mvagusta.it/common/shop/...essories/pedane-regolabili-strada-ev1-nere-cp

'Pista' 6 position adjustable machined teeth on the pegs with a nylon plug in the end;
http://www.mvagusta.it/common/shop/...cessories/pedane-regolabili-pista-ev1-nere-cp

sorry about the pictures, i didn't take them:stickpoke

black rearsets on a black background in a dimly lit
room????:wtf::wtf:

me? i have Ade's pegs with rubber inserts:drummer::drummer:

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I've read much about how terrible the foot pegs are yet I've never had a problem with them, once adjusted to exactly how I want them.

I changed mine (to Sato racing, round type) for the heck of it just to see (thinking maybe I was retarded) and I still noticed nothing different other than my wallet being lighter - so I suppose I did gain a weight saving out of it :crazyeyes

I never ride in the wet, I can see the more aggressive surface making a difference there I guess.

Perhaps it comes down to riding style - who knows? I must say, the Sato racing ones do look kind of cool though, so there's that. :)
The position is OK Rob, the grip is woeful, especially on track when really pushing and changing direction quickly.
i remember nearly falling off my F4 once...we'd stopped for a quick pee and the side of the road was a bit muddy...so the boots got a bit grubby.....got back on and next corner my outside foot slipped right off, hanging like a monkey mid corner , f*ck know how I stayed on, MV front end perfection ???
Anyway, i had rear=sets on within a week.

Rearsets with grippy pegs transformed the F4
Just to note: Ducati OEM pegs are much the same and are as equally shit and slippery

·
Super Moderator
22,836 Posts
There is a guy on the Isle of Man that makes these great foot pegs that have hard rubber inserts...replaceable no less. Perhaps you could contact Ade and see if he can source some of those for you. I have them on my track 748s and love them.:smoking:

·
Registered
14,676 Posts
Ade's pegs

There is a guy on the Isle of Man that makes these great foot pegs that have hard rubber inserts...replaceable no less. Perhaps you could contact Ade and see if he can source some of those for you. I have them on my track 748s and love them.:smoking:
+10

check the bottom of post #9:drummer::drummer::drummer:

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
The position is OK Rob, the grip is woeful, especially on track when really pushing and changing direction quickly.
i remember nearly falling off my F4 once...we'd stopped for a quick pee and the side of the road was a bit muddy...so the boots got a bit grubby.....got back on and next corner my outside foot slipped right off, hanging like a monkey mid corner , f*ck know how I stayed on, MV front end perfection ???
Anyway, i had rear=sets on within a week.

Rearsets with grippy pegs transformed the F4
Just to note: Ducati OEM pegs are much the same and are as equally shit and slippery
You got on your bike with grubby boots? :jsm: Well you were asking for it then :laughing: That would NEVER happen to me, I would have thrown my boots away & waited for a new set to be delivered before proceeding :drummer:

But seriously, yes I get that under certain conditions they would inadequate - I guess in the end the bikes was designed for road use first and track as an easy option with some changes.

Those Ducati OEM pegs where almost identical to tye MV ones weren't they? Most likely made by the same people.

I wonder about 'stickier' rubber for the boot soles - when I downhilling with my son , I used use the Five tens shoes really sticky instead of beiong clipped in but I guess they also relied on grippy pedals so we are back the same thing with rearsets.

Btw - I met a guy out riding yesterday with a 1000s - has only had it 3 days & he looked at my pegs and said he was getting some immediately as the only thing hated about the bike were the 'shit pegs'. :laughing:

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
You got on your bike with grubby boots? :jsm: Well you were asking for it then :laughing: That would NEVER happen to me, I would have thrown my boots away & waited for a new set to be delivered before proceeding :drummer:

But seriously, yes I get that under certain conditions they would inadequate - I guess in the end the bikes was designed for road use first and track as an easy option with some changes.

Those Ducati OEM pegs where almost identical to tye MV ones weren't they? Most likely made by the same people.

I wonder about 'stickier' rubber for the boot soles - when I downhilling with my son , I used use the Five tens shoes really sticky instead of beiong clipped in but I guess they also relied on grippy pedals so we are back the same thing with rearsets.

Btw - I met a guy out riding yesterday with a 1000s - has only had it 3 days & he looked at my pegs and said he was getting some immediately as the only thing hated about the bike were the 'shit pegs'. :laughing:
I wear white boots too cause I'm disturbed...grubby white boots are not my thing either:)

Ducati pegs are identicle to MV pegs, well they were when the F4 came out ...2000. Shit then, shit now.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I can say a set of lightec rearsets transformed my 2010 F4... Really good grip and they massively improve shifting gears at speed

1 - 17 of 17 Posts