MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so my Senna is apart for a little while so I can put a few goodies on it, one of them being the arrow mid-pipe. So I wanted to see what I can do with the stick pipes to clean them up and restore them to looking like new. Here is how they look:

It doesn't look very deep... but not sure if just wet sanding them and re-polishing them with some mothers metal polish is going to give the same color or not (goldish tint), or is that just from the heat and will it come back in time?

Anyone out there do this to their stock exhaust? What would you guys recommend... and no, I'm not just going to put a different exhaust on it, lol. Keeping it as close to stock as possible. Thanks.

·
Registered
17,191 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
That looks really good. How bad was it? My header looks about the same... didn't really think about it doing it since it is hidden all the time... but if it turns out not to be too much of a pain in the ass I will do that too. What grade/coarse of scotch brite did you use?
Eh... It says no 1 if that's what you mean. And something like 7414 BG.

It's some work but not too much. I was actually sitting on the couch doing it while my wife was watching a movie. So something like a good 2,5 hour work...

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Eh... This one!

It's some work but not too much. I was actually sitting on the couch doing it while my wife was watching a movie. So something like a good 2,5 hour work...
Oh, that's not bad at all. I actually thought about maybe having the header (or the whole thing) ceramic coated. Would help out with heat as well.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Try a metal polishing kit on an electric drill.

Si
I was thinking along the lines of a dremel... but a drill may be able to do a larger area at a time... good idea.

Still leaning towards a ceramic coating on the header not only to clean it up and protect it, but that's going to help with the heat/cooling as well. Getting some quotes on that right now.

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
There is someone over here who did the ceramic coating... Don't remember right away who...

·
Registered
5,144 Posts

·
Registered
17,191 Posts
Don't believe Erik.....he's Dutch. :stickpoke

I'd think twice about ceramic coating. From a position of originality, you're screwed. I really like ceramic coating as Lee's Green Monster has that treatment, but it's expensive, and irreversible.

Kidding aside, Erik's idea sounds good. No investment other than time, and his certainly looks good.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got mine polished just last week. They were in poor condition. Look great now.
Holy crap that looks nice!!! Did you do it yourself or have it done by someone else?... I'm going to stare at it some more now...

Don't believe Erik.....he's Dutch. :stickpoke

I'd think twice about ceramic coating. From a position of originality, you're screwed. I really like ceramic coating as Lee's Green Monster has that treatment, but it's expensive, and irreversible.

Kidding aside, Erik's idea sounds good. No investment other than time, and his certainly looks good.
Ceramic coating irreversible? I got a quote for $175 to do mine... and I'm pretty sure you could just bead blast them back to metal, then polish them again to make them look original no? Besides, if it helps with heat under the fairings and near the radiator at all, that's just more bonus.

I definitely want to polish the midpipe and tail pipes... god ED1435's look so damn good...

·
Registered
583 Posts
I ceramic coated the headers up to the cans on my Triumph Street Triple. Looked great for about a season. Then between the tiny stone chips and general abrasive grime, high temps and probably other factors too, the leading face of the three pipes are now back to the original brassy-coloured metal. The remaining pipe is all nice matte black.

Now I realize your F4 is a completely different animal, but something maybe to consider. It hasn't been as 'permanent' a mod as I had hoped.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I ceramic coated the headers up to the cans on my Triumph Street Triple. Looked great for about a season. Then between the tiny stone chips and general abrasive grime, high temps and probably other factors too, the leading face of the three pipes are now back to the original brassy-coloured metal. The remaining pipe is all nice matte black.

Now I realize your F4 is a completely different animal, but something maybe to consider. It hasn't been as 'permanent' a mod as I had hoped.
Hmm... yea I realize that with the full fairings it will be more protected, but I definitely don't want it coming off unless I want it to. Also if it's not going to keep in some kind of heat, then what's the point? I might as well just polish it like the rest.

Did you notice any temperature differences with it?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Hmm... yea I realize that with the full fairings it will be more protected, but I definitely don't want it coming off unless I want it to. Also if it's not going to keep in some kind of heat, then what's the point? I might as well just polish it like the rest.

Did you notice any temperature differences with it?

Definitely. It's much cooler up under the seat where my inner thighs and butt could get toasted on the hot days, now I don't feel anything. Even on a ride through the Cali desert last July.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts