MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Resistors on the 910R HELP!!!!

Someone help if you can. I need to find the resistors so I can put the one in that is supplied with my clear taillight. However, they are not in the usual spot. No news of them in the manual either. :wtf:

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
MVITALIAN said:
Someone help if you can. I need to find the resistors so I can put the one in that is supplied with my clear taillight. However, they are not in the usual spot. No news of them in the manual either. :wtf:
resistors?
are you replacing the stock bulbs with LEDs? it's common to put a resistor in parallel with the LEDs to get the flasher to flash at the correct rate. LEDs draw a lot less current than incandescent lamps, and the flasher will act like a bulb is blown (fast flash rate) when you swap them in.

alex

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
altoon said:
resistors?
are you replacing the stock bulbs with LEDs? it's common to put a resistor in parallel with the LEDs to get the flasher to flash at the correct rate. LEDs draw a lot less current than incandescent lamps, and the flasher will act like a bulb is blown (fast flash rate) when you swap them in.

alex
It's the clear alternatives taillamp. It's LED and includes turnsignals in the taillight. So they provided a plug in resistor to correct the rate. Instructions talk about three resistors located on the left side of the bike under the gas tank......however.....not there! Someone help!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, reading over the directions again I'm looking for the flasher relays. I have a new plug in flasher to slow down blinking. Supposed to be on the left side of the bike under the tank. Not there. Anyone know where the RELAYS are on the 910R?

·
Registered
375 Posts
As discussed in another thread we had, it appears the Brutale DOES NOT use a flasher realy like the F4 ... JamesC has said he beleives the blink rate is an internal control of the ECU.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
interesting. the "relay" is internal to the ecu on the brutale. i wonder if it's a full solid-state design?

the normal external relays w/flashers use a thermal switch. when the light is tured on, the current goes through a small wire which heats a metal strip. the heat caused the metal to bend and open the switch. the rate of flash is determined by the amount of current put through the little wire. a lot of current causes the circuit to flash slowly, a little current give a faster flash rate. (http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turn-signal2.htm)

that's why you see a different flash rate when a bulb blows out or you swap them with LEDs.

looks like in this case, the flasher device is inside the ECU, so you need to adjust the current draw on the LEDs to match the old bulbs, by placing a resistor in parallel. the 10W resistor is needed because is needs to dissipate some power.

the really bummer part is that you're going from an inefficient bulb to a very efficient LED, but now you need to stick a resistor in there so you lose everything you gained!

is there a brutale wiring diagram on the net somewhere? i'd like to take a look at it.

alex

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I can email it to you if interested.

The both funny and sad part about this method is that many brutale owners worldwide have experienced odd flash rates. Dealers have to go through multiple ECU's to finally fix the issue. Some owners found bad grounds but most of time it's an ECU swap .. or three :eek:

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
awiner said:
As discussed in another thread we had, it appears the Brutale DOES NOT use a flasher realy like the F4 ... JamesC has said he beleives the blink rate is an internal control of the ECU.
Thanks guys for clearing this up for me. I was going crazy looking for it. James could you send me the wiring diagram too?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts