MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
having problems filling my 2013 1090r with coolant
when I drained it the bike was cold and when I removed the expansion tank cap and drain bolt it just dripped slowly
I put a hose in the expansion tank and blew into it and this sped up the process
now drain bolt replaced, the cooland fills the tank but doesn't seem to be going into the radiator or engine - I can only get about 200ml into it before it overflows
is this because the thermostat is closed or is there another reason?
any ideas gratefully appreciated

·
Vendor
5,335 Posts
Not sure of the hose positions on your model but can you remove the top radiator hose at the motor and directly fill the radiator?

·
Registered
465 Posts
You might just have an air pocket in there.

Did you try rocking the bike side to side ? Sometimes that helps.

You can try running it with the cap off and wait for the thermostat to open up. Watch the temp while doing this.

Even when stone cold, you really should get at least 75% of the coolant in the system.

Just make sure your fill to the " min" line on the expansion tank, otherwise your bike will pee coolant.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I'm almost certain you need to fill through the radiator cap flange! the overflow is just that. if you remove the right side upper radiator panel the cap should be there. remove it and then remove the drain bolt again to make sure all of the coolant is out. then install the bolt and fill through the cap flange. can you check on Donsy's site for the manual for sure there's a procedure? you might have to run the engine to get out trapped air and rev it a few times to help. once you have the radiator filled install the cap and top off the revisor.

overheating an engine is the kiss of death! any water cooled engine so doing this wrong might be costly. also if the water pump impeller is rubber running without liquid might damage it as well as the seal!!

good luck

·
Super Moderator
22,334 Posts
^^^What he said.....

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
having problems filling my 2013 1090r with coolant
when I drained it the bike was cold and when I removed the expansion tank cap and drain bolt it just dripped slowly
I put a hose in the expansion tank and blew into it and this sped up the process
now drain bolt replaced, the cooland fills the tank but doesn't seem to be going into the radiator or engine - I can only get about 200ml into it before it overflows
is this because the thermostat is closed or is there another reason?
any ideas gratefully appreciated

Fill it via the expansion tank to the level as per manual. Put the cap on the expansion tank run the engine for a few minutes.

Let it cool then recheck the level in the expansion tank.Top up if required to between the min and lower frame tube.

That's what it says in the manual .:smoking: Common practice to only fill to the minimum level so that coolant isn't spat out.

·
Super Moderator
22,334 Posts
Hey...when did you learn readin'?

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Hey...when did you learn readin'?

I bin double lining the manual every morning before brekky Chuck..

I think the significant thing is after filling with coolant..put the expansion tank cap on..to properly pressurize all them little coolant galleries in the Cylinder head..Well that's how I see it..:smoking:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guys
lefin 2 was spot on
there under the rhs radiator shroud is a radiator cap that the manual doesn't mention, but it is in the parts book
filling via the expansion tank was never going to achieve anything as the tube goes to the radiator cap
thanks again

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
I was having a bit of a laugh at this, well done mate.

I'll explain, I ran into this problem myself when I helped a local service his 1090. In very typical MV style, the pictures in the manuals do not always reflect the specific model and it's often good to look at parts list also.
The same goes on in the MY10+ manual when following instructions on how to remove the tank and airbox, and all of a sudden there's a picture of a Pre-2010 tank being removed, I had the local Ducati dealer ring me and ask me about this.

·
Super Moderator
22,334 Posts
yes follow the manual ! Chuck does the helmet make my ass look big?
If that was your ass, wouldn't you be wearing a monocle?:smoking:

·
Registered
666 Posts

I'll explain, I ran into this problem myself when I helped a local service his 1090. In very typical MV style, the pictures in the manuals do not always reflect the specific model and it's often good to look at parts list also.
The same goes on in the MY10+ manual when following instructions on how to remove the tank and airbox, and all of a sudden there's a picture of a Pre-2010 tank being removed, I had the local Ducati dealer ring me and ask me about this.
Donsy your an ace! I was able to get on your site and review the manual from my iPad ,however it was describing how to fill through the expansion tank. guess it could be better. still small step forward for me.

·
Registered
666 Posts
thanks guys
lefin 2 was spot on
there under the rhs radiator shroud is a radiator cap that the manual doesn't mention, but it is in the parts book
filling via the expansion tank was never going to achieve anything as the tube goes to the radiator cap
thanks again
glad it had a happy ending! I was worried there was going to be a bad smell followed by severe cursing & rage.

·
Registered
175 Posts
2011 Brutale 1090RR without radiator cap on radiator

Greetings all,

As stated in the title, My 2011 Brutale does not have a fill cap on the radiator. The parts fiche shows a version with and without a cap on the radiator for the 2011 model year. See below. I assume that there was a mid year engineering change to address the issues I am having when refilling the cooling system.

OEM Spare parts for MV Agusta motorcycles

So, I suspect that there may be a special procedure to refill the cooling system on bikes without a cap in the radiator after draining it. Based on where the coolant flows into the engine from the plastic overflow tank, (a pipe at the bottom of the radiator that leads to the water pump no. 56 in the fiche) it does not seem possible to fill the coolant system completely by gravity alone. I believe that MV realized this and changed the design at some point along the 2011 model year to a radiator with a physical cap (This cap is truly at the highest point of the system and it is possible to completely fill the radiator using this opening).

So why is this an issue?

I'm afflicted with the bike peeing a bit of coolant at stop lights while the motor is running and then pouring out of the overflow hose when arriving at a destination, after turning off the motor and having to deal with heat soak. I'd like to resolve this issue as it is embarrassing plus the coolant is really difficult to top up with my system because it is near impossible to remove the cap on the plastic tank without removing the fuel tank to be able to apply the torque necessary to remove the cap itself.

I've noticed that the hose that is responsible for allowing coolant to drain out on to the ground is not part of the coolant system per-se and is only in play if the system over-pressurized and the radiator cap opens to relieve pressure. *This is important to understand* It is not until the cap begins to relieve pressure that this hose is in play.

My theory is that due to where the system is filled on bikes without a physical radiator cap on the radiator that a huge air pocket remains in the system, most likely in the radiator itself. We all know that air in coolant systems is a big no-no and that air in a coolant system reduces boiling points. I really did not experience the peeing issue until changing out my coolant for the first time.

I've never had my coolant gauge go into the "red" but after my last ride when shutting off the engine I heard "boiling bubbling noises" from the motor, maybe it was in the overflow tank, not sure. Ultimately, I'd really like to avoid overheating and damaging my motor due to the difficulty of purging air from the system coupled with the constant slow loss of coolant from the system overflow. BTW, I did check the plastic tank today and there is a small amount of coolant in the tank at the recommended level (just below minimum), leading one to believe that the coolant system is topped off. I bet this is not the case.

Can anyone with experience in this area chime in and simplify this for me? Is there an approved method of filling / purging air from the systems w/o a cap on the rad?

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
22,334 Posts
This has been discussed ad infinitum elsewhere in the forum, but here we go again:

After "topping up" the coolant in a cold engine, run the engine up to a temperature high enough to open the thermostat. While the machine is running tip/tilt/shake the machine side to side and back and forth in order to agitate the air for entrapment zones. (A trusted buddy will help you to not drop the bike.)

Stop the machine and let it cool to ambient.

Repeat the evolution several times. The idea is to get the air out of the low flow areas and venting up to the expansion tank.

I thought the expansion tank connected to the top of the radiator. The image is poor, so I am going to go check my 1090RR.

·
Registered
175 Posts
This has been discussed ad infinitum elsewhere in the forum, but here we go again:

After "topping up" the coolant in a cold engine, run the engine up to a temperature high enough to open the thermostat. While the machine is running tip/tilt/shake the machine side to side and back and forth in order to agitate the air for entrapment zones. (A trusted buddy will help you to not drop the bike.)

Stop the machine and let it cool to ambient.

Repeat the evolution several times. The idea is to get the air out of the low flow areas and venting up to the expansion tank.

I thought the expansion tank connected to the top of the radiator. The image is poor, so I am going to go check my 1090RR.
Thanks for the reply. Correct. This discussion has occurred before, and I have read those threads. But they pertain to the F4. I did not see any information on the Brutale. Yes, the expansion tank does connect to the top of the rad, its number 51 in the drawing.

·
Super Moderator
22,334 Posts
A closed loop system is a closed loop system....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts