MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here it goes...

Thomas and I did it again. Planning, scheduling, booking time off and a journey to Mid-Ohio racetrack.

In preparation, Thomas garaged the SPR and bought himself a drop-dead track ready Honda 600, soups to nuts, equipped and honed for track only riding. To finish with him, he clearly has improved as a rider, gets the knees down at will, and can pass me after setting me up awhile. Screw him...no MV, call him "Honda-man." :loser:

Me, on the other hand, took Tam 292, stripped it of ALL of its carbon fiber (nose,tail,sides,belly) and put on "scuffed" AGO plastic. All hardware was puchased and an easy conversion happens quite fast.

So off we go 8 hours, 475miles to mid-ohio.
This is a GREAT track, just under 3 miles of newly paved user friendly tarmac.

Day one, I ran with 5 guys and an instructor at a fun pace, switching off the lead each session. We were the "fastest " of the novice and I had a good controlled day. The next day, Thomas and I ran together, in intermediates, each session lasting 1/2 hour. We would chase each other, he would pass me, and I would try to catch up to no avail. He forgets that I have a $45K machine, a wife, 2 kids, am over 10 yrs his elder, and use my hands for my livelihood. Other than that, I will get him next year as I work to improve my skills and enlarge my scrotal capacity.

Tam 292, dressed as an AGO, performed flawlessly :king: , and other than 1 really blown turn, I was satisfied. Certainly, I have a ways to go to get more comfortable leaning more, and will work on even better body position to achieve a new plateau next season.

I do have plans to tweak the bike, and DO plan on using it for my few yearly track forays.

Will post up some pics asap.

Peter :smoking:

·
Registered
339 Posts
I really have a lot of respect for a guy who is using a Tam the way it was intended. You've got plenty of scrotal capacity in my book. I worry about taking my little 750 out to the track, but I know she's just dying to stretch her legs a little. I just need time and opportunity to coincide.

·
Super Moderator
2,486 Posts
I LOVE the "TamburAGO"...I echo the sentiments that the Tamburini belongs on the track. I have ridden the HELL out of mine in the canyons of Southern California, and the envelope is so far beyond that, I can't help but wonder...

It is my goal to one day do something similar, I will first have to pick up some plastics, and all the sliders. I would also consider swapping the pegs out prior to the track. I have often wondered, beyond the expense of even a gentle low-side, what the wait would be to replace any of the Tambo exclusive parts (or any of MVs limited runs)...A few months, a few years??? Anyone with any experience on this wait time?

Props to Reo and his beautiful TamburAGO!!! :moped:

Griff
twoeleven

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Nice write up Peter, :) I agree with Nevermore, if I had a Tambo I doubt I would track it, but when all said and done thats what they were made for. I bet very few Tambo's have actually been near a track let alone on it. :jsm: You are the Top man. :smoking:

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'll step right into the poop. Reo's the man for bringing Agorini to the track. We couldn't quite think of the right way to describe the bike -- I've settled on calling it a "wolf in wolf's clothing." Only Reo would dress a bike DOWN to become an Ago.

As always, the MV fetched a lot of compliments. This was the first time my SPR sat back home, ignored for the track. Sitting aside a Honda, I drew praise for the application of various performance parts, but Reo drew gawks for MV style.

A day spent on another bike brought forth a few personal lessons learned. I rode a race-only CBR600RR this time out. Not to say you'll hold the same opinions, but here are some observations:

- I'll reluctantly admit that the SPR could use different brakes. The RR has a Brembo master, wave rotors, SS lines, and stock calipers. Completely better feel versus the MV. Very crisp, very strong. The difference showed up immediately, when I found myself braking with one finger, under total control. This felt a lot better as I had more hand for the grip and therefore a better feeling of stability through the turns. Oh, and there IS such a thing as a rear brake!

- Displacement is great, but there is a point that's simply too much for me. No doubt the SPR could have dusted the Honda. And the evidence CLEARLY showed liter bikes getting by me on straightaways. But they got caught again in the corners, causing big smiles under my helmet. The difference: I took less speed into the end of straightaways, and generally entered corners under more control and able to set up to carry more speed OUT of the corners than the big boys.

- On a related note, the lesser displacement also took throttle instability out of the picture. On the SPR, I'm always aware of how smooth I need to be getting onto the throttle and into maintenance power for the corner. Sure enough, there are always some surprises where she rockets forward. The RR doesn't have such a sensitive throttle, and the lower power (96 HP, at best) minimizes the effect of any mistake.

- Pegs matter. Whoa, they matter! I wouldn't have believed it, but the difference was quickly apparent. When the SPR goes to the track next time, it'll have much larger pegs with a better gripping surface. When you're zipping around a corner, hanging off and dragging body parts, the grip is reassuring.

- It's all about suspension. If ever I commit another bike to the track, it's going in for suspension work. The Honda was revalved and set-up exactly for my weight, riding style, and tires. Without that work, it would probably be an average bike at best. But a custom fit is really a product of the suspension set-up. If the SPR is to return to the track, it'll get the same treatment. It's hard to overstate the case for suspension -- getting it fitted EXACTLY to you is a big deal, and makes a significant difference in the bike's performance. Dollar for dollar, it's the best investment, and, oddly, something we MV-types tend to overlook because we have such a good basic suspension on our bikes. Well, I can tell you the SPR has a great suspension, but it would be far better if it were exactly set up for me. Literally, my edited Honda suspension is better (for me) than my stock SPR suspension. That's not to say the base setup is better - heck, the Honda has 42mm forks, old-school (right-side-up)! But the fact that the forks were customized to ME makes them a better for ME. I can only imagine if I tuned the SPR...

This all amounts to a long-winded way of saying that a lesser bike is a good match for a lesser rider, and that the MV, while a brilliant bike, has some opportunities to be fine-tuned for track purposes. That's not a knock - the Honda's had a lot of work done to it to get it just right (suspension reworked, mods galore, etc.). But like the Honda, any bike you take out to the track should be set up for the track.

Still love the SPR, of course. And still impressed by Agorini. Now adding some respect for another bike that's built just right for the track. And hey, the availability of parts and service ain't a bad thing, either!

TC

Attachments

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
tclinton said:
- I'll reluctantly admit that the SPR could use different brakes. The RR has a Brembo master, wave rotors, SS lines, and stock calipers. Completely better feel versus the MV. Very crisp, very strong. The difference showed up immediately, when I found myself braking with one finger, under total control. This felt a lot better as I had more hand for the grip and therefore a better feeling of stability through the turns. Oh, and there IS such a thing as a rear brake!

TC
Get new discs.

When I resurface the discs on my bike with the Braketech flex hone, they feel really great. Then they go back to not as much feel as before once the surface wears off.

I keep putting off putting on new discs. I gotta do it. All my dollars are going into the race bike right now though.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I now think Dave Chappell needs to tell you instead of T-Rex eggs..."That's the most baller shit ever!!!"

Mucho props on taking that beast to the track...I'm envious....

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Excellent work Pete !!!!
Dude..YOU SIR, have the biggest balls for takin' the tambo to the track..that just rocks !
Judging by your photos, it's not your lean angle that's stopping you going kneedown, it's the body position. You have a nice classic styling. to go kneedown all you need to do is hand off like a monkey...like me :loser:
And the fact you actually enjoy is even better..........gees, I'd be poopin' my pants on that bike....

TC...as for the Honda 600's....great trackbike..did my fastest ever lap on one of those at the Island...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts