MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone removed the exhaust tips and taken out the baffles that you can see inside or heard the sound without the tips on the pipes?

Also

What size pop rivets are used to hold them on and I assume they are stainless steel ones?

I just don't want to pay a fortune for getting more sound out of the exhausts!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like fiddling with things and get much enjoyment out of experimenting!

HAS ANYONE DONE IT TO THEIR EXHAUSTS AS YET OR DO YOU ALL JUST GO AND SPEND BIG BUCKS TO GET THE BIG NOISE???

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I've just done the Casoli mod last week. Its easy to do and it takes about 3hours to complete. IMHO the bike sounds better than the RG3 pipe that is now collecting dust in the garage. Removing the flute insert without doing the Casoli mod will be a real waste of time. If you are going to do the mod, do the whole hog.

With the RG3 chip and pipe, the bike had a strong smell of unburnt fuel even at high revs and I use to get the odd backfire pop from the intake and once or twice the stalling commng to a stop.

Using the RG3 chip and the Casoli mod and doing 500km of riding the twisties, there is no unbrunt exhaust smell, no backfire from the intake and no engine stalling coming to a stop. Oh the dead flat spot at very low revs are gone!!!Woohooo.

Oh less heat is trap at the exhaust and the mufflers and tips are cool to touch with the Casoli mod.

The MV has a unique sound, not like a Duke or a buzzy Japanese motor. With the Casoli mod, there is a raw edge and burble at crusing revs and formula 1 scream at high revs.

I went up and down the M5 east tunnel, airport tunnel, Eastern Distributor tunnel and the Harbour tunnel and the sound is farking awesome. All up about 6-7km of tunnels - insane!!!

The walls of the pipes are paper thin, so be extra careful.

I use 6.4mm stainless steel rivets.

·
Registered
56 Posts
minime if you don't mind telling me how you did the casoli mod? I've got the tips off and cut one of the flat dougnut ends off one of my cans but then i see another section of moulded muffler down where the black tips touch the can. how do i get those suckers out?

The tips are very easy to get off. The stainless rivets drill out, then you must punch the little reminant lugs into the pipe so the tips can wriggle past them. I use a rubber mallet and tap around the circumfrence of the tip about half way up the black bit and tap and tap and tap and tap, finally they come off. Some WD40 / CRC helps alot.

Taking the little baffles out of there doesn't change the sound much. It's actually a bit disapointing after you spentd that long tapping. The casoli mod really guts the muffler, I've tried a couple of times to do it but cant see how to get down the pipe (after you pull the tip off) I thought a plasma cutter may be an option, but alas i don't have one.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
The plasma cutter will make the job much easier. Once the slip on tips are remove,
you need to buy about 0.5m of 2.25" exhaust tubing (stainless steel or mild steel). Cut out the orginal pipe at the 3 point welds. Cut out the new exhaust tube to the same size as the orginal.

Once the orginal 2.25" tubes are remove, you need to enlarge the hole to as big as the 2.25" tube. I also remove about 2inches of the little straw exhaust pipe that is in there.

Weld the new exhaust tube that you have just cut and use some high temp sealant from the inside. Put the exhaust tip back on and enjoy.

Basically you are modifiying the exhaust to become a straight thru system.

The proper Casoli mod I think completely guts out the muffler but I don't think that this is really required. If you leave the internal baffle walls, it will add abit of strength and structure to the muffler.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
minime said:
The plasma cutter will make the job much easier. Once the slip on tips are remove,
you need to buy about 0.5m of 2.25" exhaust tubing (stainless steel or mild steel). Cut out the orginal pipe at the 3 point welds. Cut out the new exhaust tube to the same size as the orginal.

Once the orginal 2.25" tubes are remove, you need to enlarge the hole to as big as the 2.25" tube. I also remove about 2inches of the little straw exhaust pipe that is in there.

Weld the new exhaust tube that you have just cut and use some high temp sealant from the inside. Put the exhaust tip back on and enjoy.

Basically you are modifiying the exhaust to become a straight thru system.

The proper Casoli mod I think completely guts out the muffler but I don't think that this is really required. If you leave the internal baffle walls, it will add abit of strength and structure to the muffler.
You are actually taking two of the three "silencers" out of gas flow, heres a pic of my old 1000 exhaust that was damaged when I was hit from behind, you will be able to see how bu removing the tips then either drilling the end palte around the original exit or removing it all together you get more flow and noise, be carefull with the tips though, you need larger perf tube and they WILL get hotter, some have lost the anodising colour......

Attachments

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I didn't reuse the flute inserts. I didn't notice any colour change on the tips, but mine is the old black / dark brown anodising colour.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thats exactly how i'd thought to do it. But I was going to put the original 2.25 inch tube back on and run some perferated tube down the centre. I've got some 1 1/2 inch perf that will fit but i thought i'd just press it between the black tips and screw some lugs into it so it cant fall into the muffler, that way i can put some wadding around it to cut any high pitched noise down.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi guys,

Ive just joined....Got a 2000 MV F4 SPR...and i need help....

Im looking at doing the casoli mod, but the guys at Ball's Performance tell me it'll sound really 'tinny' and not the throaty deep howling noise im hoping to achieve. I dont know if theyre just trying to get me to buy an RG3 exhuast for big bucks or theyre being honest. Was going to go to Megacycle but wanted to know, if i completely gut the exhuast i have on now (standard), will i get the sound i want.

Does anyone have a 2nd hand set of exhuasts they want to sell ?

Mikef4uk..any more pics mate of what you did ?

thanks

Rob

·
Registered
785 Posts
We have a second hand set of of gutted exhaust for sale, the sound is okay but nothing like the RG3 or Titanium sets available.

If you want to keep that distinctive howl and Ferrari type sound your best option really is the RG3's.

I am sure Mike will back us up on that.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Loony said:
Hi guys,

Im looking at doing the casoli mod, but the guys at Ball's Performance tell me it'll sound really 'tinny' and not the throaty deep howling noise im hoping to achieve. I dont know if theyre just trying to get me to buy an RG3 exhuast for big bucks or theyre being honest. Was going to go to Megacycle but wanted to know, if i completely gut the exhuast i have on now (standard), will i get the sound i want.

thanks

Rob

I have a brand new set of stock F4 exhausts (500Kms old) + mid pipe for sale...pm me if you want to discuss price

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Loony said:
Hi guys,

thanks

Rob
welcome, rob
we are glad to have you here

when you have a moment... please look into the bio section and post some info about yourself

we would really appreciate that

thanks for being here

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
459 Posts
The guys at Balls Performance have never heard a full Casoli job if describing sound as tinny.
Its much deeper, lots louder than RG3 and positively evil sounding in comparison.

Did you mean 2000 F4s ? No such thing as a 2000 SPR, Balls again perhaps?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I also though the SPR came with RG3 but I guess it did not, I learned after the fact.

I've gone semi-gutted to RG3 to Ti F1 exhausts, I'd say Ti takes the cake if I was asked my opinion. I'm really eager to hear the fully gutted Casoli mod though.

There is a video of Preston or Dave from the UK going through a tunnel with thier Casoli modded Senna750 on the MV trip in Monaco. I'll see if I can find it.

BTW, I helped a member here by sending a spare stock exhaust so he wouldn't have to take it off his SPR while being modified and never heard from him or the exhaust again :(

EDIT: Found the Video, it was Preston:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Rnaa5HZ0Q

·
Registered
419 Posts
James, i agree with you. Ti takes all the cake!!
Personnaly, I wouldn't mess with the stock exhaust. Is like having a Ferrari and thinking about messing with the exhaust. Come on guys, you have an MV AGUSTA, not a cheap bike. Give some money for that beautifull ass!! (No disrespect to other opinions, just my personnal opinion). :) :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a question. My 02 Senna came with RG3 and chip in the crate which I installed immediately. But my Q is this, can I put the RG3 on my new 07 Senna 1000 without changing the chip. The RG3 chip was mapped for a 750, so I know not to try that. I'm hoping that stock 1000 chip will work with the RG3 exhaust.
Anyone try this yet?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
gdpmv152 said:
I have a question. My 02 Senna came with RG3 and chip in the crate which I installed immediately. But my Q is this, can I put the RG3 on my new 07 Senna 1000 without changing the chip. The RG3 chip was mapped for a 750, so I know not to try that. I'm hoping that stock 1000 chip will work with the RG3 exhaust.
Anyone try this yet?

MikeF4UK just posted his 1000R experience with this. Your Senna1000 and 1000R have the same new 5SM ECU. It is not the same as the previous models which used the Weber Marelli 16M ECU. The RG3 hardware will fit but Mike said he preferred the new 5SM map for the RG3. FBF and Emoto offer it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts