MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may need to go in the maintenance section....but

How do I remove the fork bottom on a Marzocchi Fork? I did not see this covered in either the F4 or Brutale manual. Can I do it myself without a press, etc? Thanks

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I had a description of the process somewhere, I'll try and dig it up. I believe you have to disassemble the fork tube, remove a scrub screw and heat to remove. It's the kind of thing if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't take it on yourself.

The lower tube of the fork, the shiny surface the seal travels on and the fork bottom mounts to, is 49mm on Showa forks and 50mm on the Marzocchi -- I checked just now.

I also noticed on mine that the compression adjuster on the fork bottom is fixed with a regular 6 point nut, my Showas have a piece which is flat only on two sides so you couldn't use a closed-end socket, more of a wrench fork to lossen the piece that holds the adjuster. Follow? I'm not saying that's a tell-tale sign between the two, just the differences in my case.

Simply measuring the lower tube with a Verneir calipers is the quickest way to determine what you've got.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks....but

Just wanting to get some advice - Well, it really wasn't common knowledge for me to remove the fork bottom, as I have restored a Guzzi, BMW R, and a Ducati 750 Sport.

I have already removed and replaced on the MV -

- The main frame with concentric adjuster (made my own tool for the adjuster)
- The cylinder head (and replaced)
- The rear wheel bearing
- The cooling system and upgraded
- Painted the paint work

So, thanks for describing the fork and describing he shiny surface. I'll probably be up to it.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
CountD said:
Just wanting to get some advice - Well, it really wasn't common knowledge for me to remove the fork bottom, as I have restored a Guzzi, BMW R, and a Ducati 750 Sport.

I have already removed and replaced on the MV -

- The main frame with concentric adjuster (made my own tool for the adjuster)
- The cylinder head (and replaced)
- The rear wheel bearing
- The cooling system and upgraded
- Painted the paint work

So, thanks for describing the fork and describing he shiny surface. I'll probably be up to it.
Well I apologize if my description was too basic and seemed condesending. I had no idea what your experience was. Now I'm really glad I took the time...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks - I apologize

Gladio -

Actually, I really appreciate that you took the time to tell my how to remove my forkbottoms. I know you didn't have to (and most people wouldn't). As you know the prices for parts for the MV are quite ridiculous (and availability), I just thought I would throw it out there as not to ruin anymore stuff, as I am looking at three different forks (The ones on my bike, the left one I mistakenly bought, and the Showas I bought from ytak). Also, this is my first jump into a modern bike, as the newest thing I have is from 1984.

It was not meant as a hey, how dare you (as you don't know me or my skills, and who would?), and I am sure the topic was covered, but as usual in life what seems like commonsense to some people is not to others.

I would say that you contribute more to this forum and your enthusiasm for the bike is really great, and it is because of this forum that I got the bike in the first place, so please accept my apology if you took it the wrong way.

Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts