MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone on this site removed the catalytic converter and replaced with new manifolds + linkpipe on a Brutale 1078RR ?

I'm getting conflicting reports - some say I need an ECU for remapping and others say its fine as is (note I'm leaving the stock cans on)

Any advise will be appreciated also can you recommend who could fit this in the Sydney area.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
647 Posts
John, I was thinking about doing the same thing some time ago. I was told a $15,000 fine would apply if stopped and inspected (if that particular cop knew what he was looking for) Check for yourself before doing it mate, might be worth it :)

Where in Sydney are you neighbour?, Brookvale here.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Seaeagle for your advice.

I'm in West Pennant Hills. I look forward to meeting up with you on the Agusta Musta on 30th May.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Totale.

Can you tell me if you notice any difference in the bike (apart from it looking way better than stock)

·
Registered
851 Posts
Sorry John that's not mine - I have heard that 1078 run though and sounds the same at standstill (also told that you can't feel any difference) - however, if it's anything like my old 910R, that lost a certain resonant frequency under hard acceleration when I went to the de-cat pipe. Much preferred the sound with the Cat in place (always reminded me of a Ferrari :laughing:) but not the looks :wtf:
Before and after on my 910R (no re-map req. either)

·
Registered
115 Posts
I just installed the Arrow header pipes and crossover last week. It was a fairly easy install - took a couple of hours. I kept the stock mufflers, ECU and O2 sensor. I see no difference in performance, temperature or sound. The bike looks better and weighs a bit less which was all I was after with this iteration.

My next step is to get a Microtek ECU mapped by Chris at Xbikes. I'm saving up for it and watching the Euro lose ground to the dollar as well. :)

·
Registered
786 Posts
Has anyone on this site removed the catalytic converter and replaced with new manifolds + linkpipe on a Brutale 1078RR ?

I'm getting conflicting reports - some say I need an ECU for remapping and others say its fine as is (note I'm leaving the stock cans on)

Any advise will be appreciated also can you recommend who could fit this in the Sydney area.

Thanks in advance
Google 'Motorcycle weaponry'
I have heard other say they really know their stuff with MV's.
Don'y know about the 1078RR, but with the 910 MV used to sell chips for the ECU pre-set for various modifications, one being a de-cat. Alternatively you can get power commander or similar. I think the 1078 is different though because it conforms to EURO 3 emmisions.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I used Motorcycle Weaponary. I removed the cat. converter, added a power commander (simple job) then had it dynoed. Much better throtle control and response, worth it. By the way ... sydney dyno is a prick! rip off and not one to use.

·
Administrator
20,391 Posts
once the cat is removed do you have to do anything about the removed sensor from the loom

You must install the o2 sensor in the new mid-pipe....you cannot just take it off unless you get a "kit" or "race" ECU that doesn't use it.

The Euro3 ECU, if it does not see the o2 sensor functioning, will go to a fail-safe default mode that reduces power...

·
Registered
4,587 Posts

Thanks in advance
John I did this not so long ago on my 1078rr and left on the stock cans. Check out my thread on it http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33154&highlight=titanium+exhaust It may be of help and I did connect the o2 sensor to the bung provided in the new mid-pipe. I also found it unnecessary to have the bike remapped afterwards as I retained the stock cans. Every success with your project, cheers Brian.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
just did my midpipe only.left the original headers and exhaust pipes on my 1078 brut,and yes i need remapping, running way to rich,will ring jeremy at moto arena tommorrow.

·
Registered
112 Posts
John, I was thinking about doing the same thing some time ago. I was told a $15,000 fine would apply if stopped and inspected (if that particular cop knew what he was looking for) Check for yourself before doing it mate, might be worth it :)

Where in Sydney are you neighbour?, Brookvale here.
Emissions rule with regards to catalytic converters it seems, only applies to cars and heavy vehicles; not motorcycles.

See link:

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/environment/impact/index.aspx

I have also heard this from other people in the know.

You will get a lot of benefit from a PC install and Dyno tune, I got mine done at Motorcycle Weaponry and was very happy with the results.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
well either,my bike is weird or it might have been tampered with before i bought it,but it runs like crap,going today to have it remapped . keep you informed.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
jeremy at moto arena hookes it up to his software,adjusted air mixture and other stuff , apparently it was out a fair bit,runs pretty good , heaps better than before,no backfiring,much smoother,he did a great job.
but i think i will have to get a microtec,to smooth out the snatchy throttle.funny thing happened,rode back from nerang to brisbane everything was fine ,started up no problem,got home turned it off,decided to go out again travelled 2 km snuffed the bike , and could not get it started,walked home picked up the trailer,got the bike in the garage,after 2 hours figured out that the starter motor crapped itself,so back on the trailer and now jeremy has it ,he is going to try and get another one for me on good will terms,now i do not pretend to support anyone,but this guy has certainly gone out of his way to help me,like i said before good karma always comes back to you.be nice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts