MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering in what way removing the cat on my F4-1000 would affect the carburation. Will it be richer or leaner??

Thx!

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was told that sometimes the opposite is the case. Can that be right, or no chance. It seems to be different than changing the exhaust with an open pipe.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
You will flow more air but most MV's run on the rich side already so you'll most likely be fine. If you hear popping on decel and missing or surging at steady, light throttle it may be a bit lean.

John T

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I was thinking of removing the Cat as a precursor to fitting different pipes. If you take the Cat off Erik, please keep us informed as to how your bike goes without it. Thanks mate. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
airfuel said:
You will flow more air but most MV's run on the rich side already so you'll most likely be fine. If you hear popping on decel and missing or surging at steady, light throttle it may be a bit lean.

John T
Well, I'm sure the bike is lean. There are telltale signs in throttle response that indicate it's lean :eek:

So it would not be wise in this stadium to remove the cat. I'm considering doing that in combination with a PC3 or a Rapid Bike module. So I would gain some hp too :naughty:

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But it's a real problem, the cat :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
odonata said:
Hey John, did you install the yellow clock face?
Well spotted Ben, Yes, I like the yellow better than the white one. Going to keep the white one handy in case I bump into Phil Read or Giacomo and ask them to autograph it perhaps.

With the carbon tail unit, the only obvious way for a layman to tell it's a thou are the decals on the mirror backs and the small badge on the headstock. :)

:smoking: Erik; like your cat.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
John...Me too like your yellow dial...where did you get it?
Ive seen the tri colour ones, but not too keen on those....cheers

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
agusta01 said:
John...Me too like your yellow dial...where did you get it?
Ive seen the tri colour ones, but not too keen on those....cheers

Believe it or not, I was given it by a guy who had crashed his MV, had the bike repaired by his insurers and then sold it. :) He had kept the instrument binnacle which was cracked in the accident and when he knew I had a MV he gave it to me. :king: Before you ask, he had sold all the other parts associated with the bike and I believe he now runs one of those exotic Aprillia's is it the Nera or something like that. :eek:

Just reverting back to Cats, the catalytic convertor type not the meowing ones, :laughing: The mid pipe that quite a few firms sell for between £250 - £400 seems hellish expensive for what appears to be just two straight through bits of pipe welded together with a couple of mounting lugs. I'm sure a skilled sheet metalworker could put one together for less than £100 and probably less than £200 in titanium. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I agree John, it certainly would not pose a challenge to a skilled fabricator, but I reckon just changing out the convertor is not going to make any discernable difference, it gets rid of that big lump I suppose, but performance wise, just can't see it.

On some Jap bikes, just the removal of the convertor gets you a whole heap of HP, but thats because they were never really at cutting edge performance anyway
The stock exhaust system on the MV is already very efficient as is, so unless its cosmetic, whats the point? Unless fitting a non stock exhaust as well... :blah: :blah:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts