MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did an oil change today and I put the hex head into the bolts for the oil filter cap and managed to strip the heads. I think dealership over torqued the bolts but I have to say they are soft. Any ideas other then drill and tap.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Those bolts, like all the case cover bolts are torx - not hex key bolts, did you use the right tool?:wtf:

If so they probably aren't that tight, maybe try to cut a slot and use an impact screwdriver before you start drilling.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Those bolts, like all the case cover bolts are torx - not hex key bolts, did you use the right tool?:wtf:

If so they probably aren't that tight, maybe try to cut a slot and use an impact screwdriver before you start drilling.
What he said. MV uses torx heads on most things that are on the motor.

·
Registered
14,741 Posts
?

the right tip and an impact screwdriver will remove them, I use a SnapOn

PIT-120 and a brass hammer

I hate to think MV has gone to the retarded Torx fasteners

:wtf::wtf:

:popcorn:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help guys. Some elbow grease and a bit of luck got those stupid torx out and replaced with SS 6mm hex heads. Now how do you check the oil level? Do I screw the dip stick all the way in or just dip the stick in up to the thread, it's quite a retarded design.

·
Registered
375 Posts
It doesn't matters, my dealer always overfill.
When I do it, I screw the stick to mesure, you have to add only 2.8liters of oil , not 3( with the filter), oil remains in the oil cooler too. I do it every 3500km because , my rides are short, the engine runs a lot underheated during the warm up process . Cold area here.

·
Super Moderator
24,095 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. Some elbow grease and a bit of luck got those stupid torx out and replaced with SS 6mm hex heads. Now how do you check the oil level? Do I screw the dip stick all the way in or just dip the stick in up to the thread, it's quite a retarded design.

I do not own a 3 cylinder model, but it took me about 5 minutes to locate the manual on Donsy's site, download it, read the section on oil replacement and discern that the total system fill is 3.2 liters if you remove the oil cooler and drain it as recommended. The sump holds 2.5 liters, so, if that's all you drain, that's all you put back in and that other 0.7 liters of dirty oil will pollute your fresh 2.5 liters....:jsm:

Now, as for measuring the oil level, the last sentence in the procedure says it all: UNSCREW the dipstick and check that the oil is between the marks.

This implies the dipstick must first be screwed in to obtain accurate level.

Please, folks, get familiar with your machines by reading the easily available manuals brought to you by Donsy's hard work! It will save you headaches, and possibly your hard earned cash...as well as maybe saving your ass.:smoking:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now, as for measuring the oil level, the last sentence in the procedure says it all: UNSCREW the dipstick and check that the oil is between the marks.

This is ambiguous so I had to make sure. But thanks for clarifying :)

·
Super Moderator
24,095 Posts
I'm getting to be curmudgeonly myself...Noel is having an influence on me. It can be misinterpreted, I suppose.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts