MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Since I got no responce under the Team Double3 post I thought I would add it to this section.

I want to run a lightweight battery and also the remove the alternator completely.
There are a few systems I am looking at and I have put some in the links below, if any of you guys are aware of them being used and have some info to share, then please let me know.
I have nothing but the four injectors, fuel pump, Microtec ECU and display on the bike. I will still be using the starter motor though, so will have to keep this in mind.

The electronics boffins, please chip in if you know how much power (Amps) a MV would be consuming at full swing.

http://www.motorcycleradiators.com/n...product_id=212
or
http://shop.durbahn.de/shop/en/products/Batteries_superlight_!/A123_Durbahn_ECO

How will the Shorai and Ballistic Batteries go in this type of application ?

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Could Valentino Rossi get on your bike as it sits and ride it faster than you do?

If the answer is yes, don't worry about the alternator. There are other improvements you can make that will decrease your lap times.

A very unhelpful and smartass post, to be sure, but I couldn't resist.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Knob...s

Could Valentino Rossi get on your bike as it sits and ride it faster than you do?

If the answer is yes, don't worry about the alternator. There are other improvements you can make that will decrease your lap times.

A very unhelpful and smartass post, to be sure, but I couldn't resist.
I bet it's you and Ade sitting there laughing at me. I know, loose weight, then grow Ball's, then get rear shock, then get new knee's, then do more track time. .....Anything I left out you 2 silly buggers :).
Have fun boys.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
The man at Timemachine asked me to advise you guys that the alternator weight saving is 3.1KG..He just popped one on the scales for you..: )

also The battery (changed to new mini race type - aprox 1kg less) could be dropped down to the alternator position and then the heavyweight tray could also be junked another 0.5Kg saved.

Joe

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
Also from our couldn't resist it department:
Please note, Donsy, that Ade has made the ultimate sacrifice in removing all of his body hair in order to save some more grams.
And Carl is right, do what you have to do and get over to Bubba IV, even if that includes throwing the bunny rabbit into a box with a couple of carrots while you're away. That's what we do to Scooter.......:)

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also from our couldn't resist it department:
Please note, Donsy, that Ade has made the ultimate sacrifice in removing all of his body hair in order to save some more grams.
And Carl is right, do what you have to do and get over to Bubba IV, even if that includes throwing the bunny rabbit into a box with a couple of carrots while you're away. That's what we do to Scooter.......:)
Hehe, well done Dave, we got the Bunny a pet, she can feed on that/her. I shaved the MO(stache) for Liesl's birthday 9/11, that slowed me down a fair amount - flaps the lips in the wind - . So no more hair loss plans.
Think we will have to come over and just talk to all you good guys for some MoJo.

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Seems to me that going through all that for weight savings doesn't make sense. Agree with the smart ass re the Rossi comment.

·
Registered
14,572 Posts
?

Donsy;
toss the alternator, most race cars run total loss, make up a plug for starting with an external battery or just bump start it :stickpoke

check the amp draw of the running bike

then get a hold of the race car guys to find out how big a battery they are using and what their amp draw is

then check with the RC plane and helicopter guys on what type of battery to use

it aint rocket science:naughty:

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey man

Donsy;
toss the alternator, most race cars run total loss, make up a plug for starting with an external battery or just bump start it :stickpoke

MV with slipper clutch don't bumps start.:stickpokeBut I can make up a plug to start externaly no problem.

check the amp draw of the running bike I was hoping someone had allready done this math. Will stick a tester on it and just rev it to 14000 and see what she uses.

then get a hold of the race car guys to find out how big a battery they are using and what their amp draw is

then check with the RC plane and helicopter guys on what type of battery to use

it aint rocket science:naughty: It is rocket science if you have not done it before.
Have a look at this Noel, looks like I should have a word with them.
http://shop.durbahn.de/shop/en/products/Batteries_superlight_!

and this

http://shop.durbahn.de/shop/en/products/Batteries_superlight_!/A123_Durbahn_ECO

Because our races are short I was thinking the 6.9A/hr might do but might play it safe and go for a 9.2 A/hr instead ?:naughty:

·
Registered
14,572 Posts
?

Donsy,
measure the load at say 10,000 RPM then check with the race car guys and RC helicopter guys:drummer:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts