MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks
I've gotta take out my faulty alternator from my Brutale 910S. I've read the posts about doing it without dropping the motor and I'll give that a go. But if I run into trouble I may have to partly drop the motor.

Donsy posted a few months ago about this. He mentioned loosening/take out the frame plate bolts and wedging the frame apart. I'm not sure what he meant by frame plate bolts?

Also, is there a thread/s that describes step by step how to drop the motor so I can get unrestricted access to the alternator? I've gone thru the manuals but can't see anything obvious?

Any help much appreciated, cheers Claudio :violin:

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
The frame plate bolts are the bolts that go through the frame, the midframe plates, and the engine. It is one bolt located behind the alternator. There is another bolt holding the engine to the mid frame plate at the back of the motor behind the gear box. Then the two on either side of the cylinder head.

I find the easiest way to do it is to loosen the cylinder head bolts but not remove them. I put a little upward pressure on the engine with a floor jack. Remove the long bolt behind the alternator, and the one at the bottom/back of the engine. Lower the floor jack and the back of the engine should rotate downward.

·
Registered
14,502 Posts
save yourself a lot of trouble....

X81, Chris's way;
"Removing the starter motor gives more room to the left of the generator and you don't even need to undo the main cable.

Then unbolt the gennie, undo all plugs leads etc and then twist it out and round at a sort of upward left diagonal direction and hey presto it all comes out, no cutting, no damage and no alterations to the bike.

Each to their own of course but i've done loads like this over the years, every time the start clutch shits itself (lots in racing) you have to go through this process."

·
Registered
890 Posts
normally, removing the alternator should be very
simple:

disconnect your battery. remove the fuel tank. loosen the bolts
of the alternator. push the restraining bracket up (you may need to loosen a frame bolt for this), remove the electric cables from alternator
and wiggle the the alternator out. removing the starter motor in
addition can give you more space.

all the problems appear to my knowledge just for the 1078.
so you should be fine with a 910.

·
Registered
255 Posts
normally, removing the alternator should be very
simple:

disconnect your battery. remove the fuel tank. loosen the bolts
of the alternator. push the restraining bracket up (you may need to loosen a frame bolt for this), remove the electric cables from alternator
and wiggle the the alternator out. removing the starter motor in
addition can give you more space.

all the problems appear to my knowledge just for the 1078.
so you should be fine with a 910.
I've tried this method on my Brutale 910R without success. I had to lower the engine from the frame to be able to remove the alternator without damaging anything else on the bike.
I really tried as there's no fun in dropping the engine down but couldn't do it. Took the starter motor out before that but the frame it's in the way by a few mm.
Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures to show that.
And even if by miracle you are able to take out the alternator this way, I believe it's even more difficult to put it back in like that.
Good luck for those trying.:smoking:

Laur.

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
I'll check which manual has a bit more of a breakdown Claudio, but this might help, remember to remove the starter motor first.
Please feel free to ring me or email me, I post very little lately, far to busy at the moment.
I've tried this method on my Brutale 910R without success. I had to lower the engine from the frame to be able to remove the alternator without damaging anything else on the bike.
I really tried as there's no fun in dropping the engine down but couldn't do it. Took the starter motor out before that but the frame it's in the way by a few mm.
Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures to show that.
And even if by miracle you are able to take out the alternator this way, I believe it's even more difficult to put it back in like that.
Good luck for those trying.:smoking:

Laur.
I got it out, twice, without dropping the motor.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
struck out - still no luck getting alternator out

Thanks everyone for your insights/suggestions. Very much appreciated.

I'm presently sitting with my 910S in front of me but still not able to get that damned alternator out. To summarise, I've got the bike on front and rear stands plus the middle/rear frame suspended with ratchet strap and hydraulic jacks under the motor to take the weight slightly. I've taken the starter motor out and initially loosened the frame plate bolts (1)(2) and (4). Tried wedging as per Donsy's post but I must be missing something because not sure what I'm wedging and in any case got no movement between motor and frame. I tried but no luck with getting alternator out as per X81 Chris' way.

Then I followed CAG Carls' suggestion and took out completely the bolt (2) behind the alternator and bolt (3) at bottom of engine behind the gearbox. Bolts (1) were loosened and still in position. I lowered the engine jacks, nudged and jiggled motor/frame, but the back of the engine didn't rotate downwards and still no luck jiggling the alternator out.

At that point I raised the engine slightly on jacks and removed completely the bolts (1) from either side of cylinder heads and then lowered jacks. Engine dropped slightly but not enough to make a difference for getting the alternator out.

Looks like I'm in the same place as Laurtm1. I think I'll call it a night and sleep on it :cry:

cheers, Claudio

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Thanks everyone for your insights/suggestions. Very much appreciated.

I've taken the starter motor out and initially loosened the frame plate bolts (1)(2) and (3). Tried wedging as per Donsy's post but I must be missing something because not sure what I'm wedging and in any case got no movement between motor and frame. I tried but no luck with getting alternator out as per X81 Chris' way.

Then I followed CAG Charles' suggestion and took out completely the bolt (2) behind the alternator and bolt (3) at bottom of engine behind the gearbox. I lowered the engine jacks, nudged and jiggled motor/frame, but the back of the engine didn't rotate downwards and still no luck jiggling the alternator out.
If you did not undo bolt #4 as I indicated, the frame won't open mate. 1, 2 and 4. The frame plate bolts are 2, 3, and 4.
Does the alternator move at all ?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Donsy, yep my mistake and i've edited the previous post. I loosend bolt #4 both sides but didn't take them out. I subsequently took out 2 and 3.

Should I take both sides 4 out completely? Tomorrow I'll also try taking away the ratchet strap to see what happens with the motor/frame

The alternator comes out just past the O rings but not enough when angled/jiggled to get the last couple of mms

The motor has dropped marginally towards the front but not the back. I can see the cyclinder head thread has dropped a bit against the bolt #1 holes

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Donsy, yep my mistake and i've edited the previous post. I loosend bolt #4 both sides but didn't take them out. I subsequently took out 2 and 3.

Should I take both sides 4 out completely?

The alternator comes out just past the O rings but not enough when angled/jiggled to get the last couple of mms

The motor has dropped marginally towards the front but not the back. I can see the cyclinder head thread has dropped a bit against the bolt #1 holes
Okay this is complicated to do over the NET Claudio.
What I would do is lift the front end and frame, phew, bolt's 1, 2 and 3 has to come out, 4 stays put.

Sorry, I have to see how you have the bike suspended again.

Guys how much do you drop the rear of the motor when you removed you alternator ? Or do you lift the front end instead ?

Carl's way of removing bolt 2 and 3 seems like a plan also. Remember to loosen exhaust brackets.

Looks like you might have 2 choices.
Jeepers, makes me feel so bloody helpless :wtf:.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jeepers, makes me feel so bloody helpless :wtf:.
Nah don't get down on me now...good points and tomorrow morning I'll put up some pics. I'll also have another go at the bolts and try to jiggle the motor down a bit...just need a few mms!!! i'm salivating....

'nite mate, claudio

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Nah don't get down on me now...good points and tomorrow morning I'll put up some pics. I'll also have another go at the bolts and try to jiggle the motor down a bit...just need a few mms!!! i'm salivating....

'nite mate, claudio
Cheers Claudio :).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah, did it!

hi all

it was loosening the exhaust bracket :drummer: that did the trick and allowed the motor to drop a little....a bit of jiggling...got it changed over with replacement one. Will finish putting it all together tomorrow and let u know :mouthwate

thx everyone for all the tips, cheers Claudio

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
hi all

it was loosening the exhaust bracket :drummer: that did the trick and allowed the motor to drop a little....a bit of jiggling...got it changed over with replacement one. Will finish putting it all together tomorrow and let u know :mouthwate

thx everyone for all the tips, cheers Claudio
Awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
claudio - did you ever get the alternator out?
Welcome to the forum. Yes Claudio did so my dropping the motor or lifting the frame, he's not been on the rout for some time unfortunately.
What do you need doing ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi there - I'm in the same situation as Claudio I think. I have loosened (1) and (4) and removed (2) and (3). Have also unbolted the muffler/exhaust. Front end in a chock, engine supported by a jack. Engine has not moved

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Not sure what you're trying to do.

So I assume you're trying to drop the motor to get to the alternator ?

If you're supporting the front and rear, and would like to drop the motor with the jack, this is what you need to do.

Sorry if I keep adjusting, I'm in and out of day surgery yesterday and today, just don't have all my tools with me.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Or you can lift the frame

This is the easy way, but you need a hand most of the time. Instead of dropping the motor, lift the frame and front end. This is displayed in the workshop manuals in some cases.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Donsy -It was good to see your post and although it looks like you are on the other side of the world I feel like I have some help. However, I have given up for the night; tried to get the engine to move down with no luck - maybe a mm or two, but not enough to make a difference. I also tried putting bolt (2) back in, keeping (3) out and removing bolts (1) thinking that the engine might rotate down to the front around (2) but no luck. How much movement do we need? Is the intent to be able to pull the alternator straight out below the frame ? If so looks like we will the engine to drop 2-3"; I was nowhere close.
My final concern was whether I could get bolts 2 & 3 lined up and back through but with the wife (its her bike after all) lifting on the muffler I managed to get the bolts through so the engine is supported.
Would love some advice. I have seen the other 'destructive' approach where you cut up the alternator cover allowing space to remove the alternator and then replacing with a modified cover but I hate to butcher such a beautiful bike - having said that, why would MV make it so difficult to replace a darn alternator ? Thanks for the help & good night from Atlanta, Georgia

1 - 20 of 33 Posts