MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
i got my QD Exhaust for my Brutale 800 from 3 months, truly i'm satisfied of it ;
now ,i would like to remove one baffles (and maybe i will remove one more and so on :D ) then when i tried to remove one baffles i saw it was hard to remove the screw and bolt , in fact the screw easy got damaged then i should stop to don't make worse the situation ... before to buy i asked if the baffles could remove and the vendor reply "yes, it is easy to remove".

I would like to know if someone remove the baffles and can give me some suggestion to apply the right procedure as i see not manual online .

Here some photo about the bolt inside the exhaust (near the baffles ) ... in case need more info just let me know.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
396 Posts
on the newer QD exhausts they used high temperature loctite / silicone based glue to fix the baffles. You have to heat the screw and then remove it.
Please be aware (especially if you use a coated exhaust): your warranty is void once the baffle is removed.

·
Super Moderator
22,850 Posts
Those pictures show the blind nut inside the exhaust. There will be a hex bolt that threads into that from the outside of the exhaust.

You need to remove the mufflers to access the hex bolt.

Reactions: Jayjaycooper

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
on the newer QD exhausts they used high temperature loctite / silicone based glue to fix the baffles. You have to heat the screw and then remove it.
Please be aware (especially if you use a coated exhaust): your warranty is void once the baffle is removed.
Dear Nephalem ,
thanks for your suggestion ... i would like to ask you 1 more question... once i take off the baffles may i insert it back without fix it with high temperature loctite / silicone based glue?

Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those pictures show the blind nut inside the exhaust. There will be a hex bolt that threads into that from the outside of the exhaust.

You need to remove the mufflers to access the hex bolt.
Hello Silentservice703 ,

yes , in fact when i would take off the screw outside of the exhaust and it easy got broken , I just unscrewed without forcing ... i post a picture of it ... the quality of the screw is very poor

Thanks my friend

Attachments

·
Registered
396 Posts
Dear Nephalem ,
thanks for your suggestion ... i would like to ask you 1 more question... once i take off the baffles may i insert it back without fix it with high temperature loctite / silicone based glue?

Thanks
of course you can, yet I wouldn't recommend doing so. I had a QD on my F3, lost a baffle because the screw (even though tightened more than I'd usually do) got lost due to the vibrations. If you are not careful you might even lose the tips since it's the same screw holding that in place.

getting new baffles from Italy might involve patience and a lot of mails so think about it :)

also if you ever remove the screw replace it with a higher quality one, the stock ones really are soft and on the picture it looks like your's won't survive more attempts to unscrew ;) save yourself from all the trouble :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
of course you can, yet I wouldn't recommend doing so. I had a QD on my F3, lost a baffle because the screw (even though tightened more than I'd usually do) got lost due to the vibrations. If you are not careful you might even lose the tips since it's the same screw holding that in place.

getting new baffles from Italy might involve patience and a lot of mails so think about it :)

also if you ever remove the screw replace it with a higher quality one, the stock ones really are soft and on the picture it looks like your's won't survive more attempts to unscrew ;) save yourself from all the trouble :)
Dear Nephalem,
really appreciate your useful advice and support , for sure i will replace the the screw with a good one and i will remove just one baffles .

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
22,850 Posts
@Jayjaycooper: If you haven't already achieved success removing the screws, there are a couple of methods that may work for you on that stripped head.

Douse the threads in a penetrating oil to break the corrosion, then:

I would first try an oversized hex lightly hammered into the offending hole. Use steady pressure until the connection breaks free.

If that doesn't work, you can use a Dremel Tool or the like to "SLOT" the head of the bolt, then use a screwdriver to remove the offending piece.

Curious as to how you get along....

Reactions: Jayjaycooper

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Jayjaycooper: If you haven't already achieved success removing the screws, there are a couple of methods that may work for you on that stripped head.

Douse the threads in a penetrating oil to break the corrosion, then:

I would first try an oversized hex lightly hammered into the offending hole. Use steady pressure until the connection breaks free.

If that doesn't work, you can use a Dremel Tool or the like to "SLOT" the head of the bolt, then use a screwdriver to remove the offending piece.

Curious as to how you get along....
Dear silentservice703,
i appreciate your advices ...already done ...with a bit of effort i could remove 2 baffles , i should cut the first one screw that was broken instead the second one was more easy to remove ... a note about the sound of the exhaust without 2 db killers i could recognise it's really louder !!!

Thanks again for the great support as always.

Cheers

·
Registered
22 Posts
Can I just check with you both - is it just the hex head baffle retaining screws that are glued in, or are the baffles themselves glued in?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Dear silentservice703,
i appreciate your advices ...already done ...with a bit of effort i could remove 2 baffles , i should cut the first one screw that was broken instead the second one was more easy to remove ... a note about the sound of the exhaust without 2 db killers i could recognise it's really louder !!!

Thanks again for the great support as always.

Cheers
Don't forget to put a screw in again where you removed the baffles as the tips are held by that screw as well!

Can I just check with you both - is it just the hex head baffle retaining screws that are glued in, or are the baffles themselves glued in?
it "should" only be the screw.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just throwing my experience up as well. Similar issues here with hex screw stripping. I cut a slot into screw for large blade screwdriver, heated the screw with heat gun and still couldn’t get it to budge. I’ve now given up which is a shame. I have no idea how much lock tight these ppl used but these bolts are not budging and is kinda ridiculous

·
Registered
6 Posts
I Love the look of qd exhaust but i am a little afraid of being to loud...

Is it much louder than stock or is it only a little more bassy?

·
Registered
608 Posts
I installed the Euro 4 Version on my 2018 800RR.
It is louder, but I do not think it is too loud. And yes, there is more bass!
Did not measure the dB yet so....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts