MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
removal of std exhaust tips

hi can anybody help drilled the rivets out and banged them through but the outer sleeve won't move any tips on how to remove with out damaging them any help would be great

·
Registered
42 Posts
I simply drilled-out the rivets, gave a gentle dusting with a die-grinder (or a hand stone if you are not confident enough) to remove any remaining burr, then use a soft rubber mallet to GENTLY tap around the area that remains in contact with the solid ring until the tube comes off. DO NOT tap on the tube in any area that is not supported or you will dent it. The other option is to make a custom slide hammer, but I am a journeyman Tool & Die Maker, and that may not be a very practical option for myself either unless I intend to use it more than once.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Blow torch

U need to take out the rivets like the man said. I found it very hard to take the tips off after I did this. I had to use a blow torch and heat the tips up so they expanded, once heated and some persuasion I managed to get them off. Just take your time doing it.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I used some penetrating lubricant and or try WD-40 . It will help. For drilling off the rivets use 1/4 centerdrill instead of a drill bit. You will only remove head from the rivet with centerdrill and use pin punch to push the rivets inn. With centerdrill it is a 5 minutes job. No broken drill bits no dammage to the tips. Lastly, search the forum for pics.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
After you drill the rivets, make sure you use a punch to knock them into the can. Then use a propane torch to heat the joint, they should come off. Use a twisting motion, they wont come off if you just pull on them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts