MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Quick query, any tips on removing the remains of the wheel nut which has galvanicly welded itself to the rear axle.

When the nut was cracked off it left about four rows of the innermost nut threads stuck on the axle. I was ready to mix some caustic soda up but that won't do the finish on the axle any good.

Any ideas welcomed

Russ

·
Super Moderator
22,354 Posts
Russ, if you don't mind detail work, you can have success with a couple of picks and a triangular jeweler's file. Go slowly and steadily and be gentle...the material left behind will succumb.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
I'd spray it with WD 40 and use a brass brush or similar to clean it out after a bit of a soak in the WD.

·
Administrator
19,858 Posts
Thread files work well, too....but I'd be picking at it first to see if it will release and pull off. Try some heat, too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Joe
Did you get the pm re the wheel nut.

·
Registered
14,502 Posts
?

screw WD 40.....use 50/50 acetone and ATF, its better than Kroil which makes WD 40 look like glue

let it soak for a day or 2 then grind a punch with a slightly less than 60* angle to the sides put a radius on the point of the 60*, use about a 70* back rake on the point

clamping the axle in a vise would be best, but you can do it on the bike

it should lift off in big chunks if you hit it below tangential :drummer:

me? I'd use my pneumatic engraving tool:naughty:

next time use CoppaSlip or Never Seize on the threads

:popcorn:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is a of pics showing the alloy threads that were stripped from the nut.

Penetrating oil and a pick got rid of most of the alloy on the axle and I reversed the nut and used it to clean the threads up a bit. It will need a bit more time on it to get rid of all the corrosion to a standard I will be happy with

The axle threads look undamaged so it's just a new nut, so that's another problem job out of the way.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts