MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
King of Bling
9,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

A friend sent me an email the other day about the animals used in WW1 and the tributes erected in their honour.

Here are a few pictures and some description of the tributes to the horses, donkeys, dogs and other animals lost during the great war... Quite touching.

In November 2004 a large memorial was unveiled at Brook Gate, Park lane , London as a powerful and moving tribute to all the animals that served, suffered or died alongside the British, Commonwealth or Allied forces in wars and conflicts of the 20th century.

The memorial comprises a large Portland stone wall partially shielding an arena through which two bronze mules are struggling, heading for some steps and a gap in the wall leading to the gardens beyond.

Once through the gap in the wall you find two further bronze statues, one is of a large war horse closely followed by a medium sized dog. The horse is breaking into a gallop whilst the dog is looking back over his shoulder. These two animals symbolise hope for the future whilst at the same time bearing witness to fallen comrades.

The arena side of the wall has raised carvings of the different animals that have gone to war for mankind whilst on the reverse are silhouettes of animals intended to depict the spirits of those lost in conflicts.

Carved on the front of the memorial below the dedication is a simple sentence, “They had no choice”

The last image is of the Australian Remembrance tribute to their animals lost during the war and a memorial erected in remembrance of the Boer war.... Impressive !

I get an overwhelming sadness about what mankind does to the animals of this planet. Dogs, horses and donkeys in particular give unending devotion and service yet are often abused and neglected... But memorials and tributes like these makes us stop and think .

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
24,113 Posts
Wow

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Very moving indeed, I've just watched the remembrance parade in my town in which many young children marched along side veterans and serving personel many of whom only know about the war through stories and teachings in school. Long may it continue. Lest we forget.

·
King of Bling
9,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

It was a lovely sunny day here and we walked into town to watch the Remembrance day parade in St Albans...

A very moving outdoor service and makes you thankful for what you have.. If it wasn't for others, we might not have such a good life style.

I'm still anti-war, but I appreciate what others have gone through in the name of freedom.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts