·
Registered
14,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Members of the French Resistance and the US 82nd Airborne division discuss the situation during the Battle of Normandy in 1944.
That is a photo chopped picture that does not reflect the reality of war and what happened. Sorry but I am very grateful for the sacrifice made so that we live the way we do.

·
Administrator
21,078 Posts
I do not understand.... that photo was offensive in some way?
Thought I saw an official Signal Corp insignia in the bottom left corner.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
For the record please put the picture backup,I am not offended by it I noticed that a soilder had a cigarette in his mouth and just wanted to point that out as I don't think that he would have had one in his mouth going into a battle. Nessa you are too good a person for that so please remember you have not offended me in any way at all.

·
Registered
14,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
?

May their sacrifice never be forgotten.
Andrew, I sent the 2nd picture to my Sister, she called me back crying........
I said "that's why they call them America's greatest generation"

Look up the Battle of New Orleans, it lasted 20 minutes ....14,400 Red Coats and sailors vs a rag tag group of a bit more than 5,000 Patriots

·
Registered
98 Posts
For the record please put the picture backup,I am not offended by it I noticed that a soilder had a cigarette in his mouth and just wanted to point that out as I don't think that he would have had one in his mouth going into a battle. Nessa you are too good a person for that so please remember you have not offended me in any way at all.
Everybody smoked back then, my old man was in the Royal artillery attached to the merchant navy. Basically bobbing around in the Atlantic or India to the Mediterranean waiting to get torpedoed by a U boat or shot at by the Luftwaffe.
The Army issued cigs in the ration I would assume the US have done the same.
He was unloading supply ships on D day +1 and still had horrific memories of the amount of bodies scattered everywhere.

·
Registered
230 Posts
90% casualty rate on the first wave at Omaha beach.

·
Registered
14,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
?

Baba Zanetti;
You're right about almost everyone smoking ........back in the day
Cigarettes were in C rations at least until '71 when I got out of the service
My Father's ashtray from 1944, at North American Aviation, he didn't smoke but all the test pilots did
And they hung around his desk

Attachments

·
Registered
14,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
?

I had these pictures hanging for years before I realized what they meant
The North American Aviation test pilots......
At the beginning of WW2
And standing in the same order at the end of WW2 with Mr Bones, the last B-25 made
Everyone at the Los Angeles Division signed the plane
Including my Mom, my Father and my Aunt Elizabeth

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts