MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello...

I've grown up on bikes (30 years), and now I have that inch for an MV. Actually the wife saw it, and wants it to be an anniversary gift.

How reliable is the MV? I'm not the poser type that takes his bike to the local hangout and sit and stair. I want a bike that I go out to the garage start and do 300-400 miles in the corners.

I've ridden Japenese bikes all my life, and I've had great luck with them. My bikes are my kids.

Bike reliability is my biggest issue.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks...

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
As or more reliable than Honda.
There are some issues with parts availablity, but I haven't seen anything worse than problems with any Japanese brand dealer.
Get it, you won't regret it! :yo:

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I'd say current bikes are 95% as reliable as Japanese bikes. I say that based on experience with two Yamaha R1 (2002 and 2004) and three MVs (2000,2002, and 2006).

I think 2000 has some bugs or just may not have been set up properly by the dealer. No problems with the 2002 (that I didn't cause myself) and none with the 2005.

Service intervals are less thought. I think it's really every 3,800 miles (minor service) and 7,800 (normal service) miles. Honestly, I think the 3.8 service is really an inspection & oil change.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Ditto the above comments, I'm on my second MV and I've had loads of Jap stuff over the years, the MV is much more reliable than a Duke IMHO. :)

·
Registered
785 Posts
Our original 2000 MV F4 750 has covered about 22,000 miles, still going strong, only problem was a water pump gasket, replaced at 6000 miles, since no problems.

Obviously the usual wear and tear items have been replaced, wheel bearings and the rear shock being the main two items. The clutch is ok though it will be changed soon.

Our other MVs have been fine, though barely run in. :naughty:

You will not regret it, running costs are more or less the same as a Jap bike.

Good luck.

·
Formerly WYD OPN
2,150 Posts
I initially had the same concerns as you, and was VERY wary of the sparse dealer network. I first came to this site on July 28th, and posted a thread similar to this. The responses indicated that MVs are virtually bulletproof, have reasonable parts cost and availability, and have negligible warranty issues.

So... only 6 weeks later, I bought 2! An F4 1000R and Brutale 910R, which both arrived at the dealer last Tuesday. Planned to pick them up today, but it's pouring rain and my new Kendon trailer delivery was delayed until next Thursday. I originally bought a R1/ZX14 combo INSTEAD of an MV, but much as I love them both I HAD to have an MV... er, actually TWO MVs. I ended up buying the 910R ALSO because of owners on this site. You will not find a better quality on-line community of enthusiasts.

Even if they weren't stone reliable, after talking with mv.net members I'd likely have gotten them anyway. One member wisely indicated that MV ownership is about love and passion. Even a few days/weeks of shop downtime would be well worth the overall "relationship". Fortunately, shop time is NOT likely... and the inconvenience of distant dealers simply means extra riding/trailering time at scheduled maintenance intervals.

If you LOVE the MV, buy it. Reliability is not an issue, and I've heard nothing but praise for most dealers and Cagiva when a problem arises. Other technical needs, etc. are regularly addressed on this site by very qualified enthusiasts... Lots of support, here!

Welcome to the site and the MV family! Enjoy the ride!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Well said WYD ! Something else to think about is that the MV's will hold their image for many years to come and the R1/ZX14 Jap cookie cutter combo would be out of date and yesterdays news in 6 to 12 months. The Mv has been around for seven years now and still turn heads every were I go. I don't remember the last time I noticed a 1998/99 R1.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My 05 F4 just clicked over 20,000 miles and I've had no problems. Much more reliable than my old 749 duc.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Hmm... haven't owned or ridden a Japanese motorcycle in more than 30 years, so I can't do a direct comparison, but my Brutale's been flawless. Many problems with the Ducatis but not a peep out of the MV. Just change oil and tires. ;)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Dear Soulrider. I have had 3 MV's spanning 6 years and a total of 40,000kms. Yes some little niggles, but nothing major, and I have such an incredible dealer and importer who has fixed things free just because he wanted to. Like I cracked a mirror and an instrument surround, and they picked me up a spare at the MV factory, no charge!. That would never happen on any other machinery. I do have some Jap machinery for tracking and other purposes and all have something that cocks it's leg at you. With the MV, it so wonderful, you don't care. If you have the desire go for it, just don't look for little problems, look at the bigger puicture. 6 years on and I still get excited getting ready for a ride.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi

I am new here. Got a couple of Japanese sportsbike before having my F4Evo3 in 2004.

IMHO, these modern bikes are virtually trouble-free. Maintain it well and ride it hard should give you pleasure and not headache.

Hope it helps to ease your mind.

Cheers
KH

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Rumpole said:
Hi

I am new here. Got a couple of Japanese sportsbike before having my F4Evo3 in 2004.

IMHO, these modern bikes are virtually trouble-free. Maintain it well and ride it hard should give you pleasure and not headache.

Hope it helps to ease your mind.

Cheers
KH
Welcome!

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Yeah, welcome Rumpole, lets hear a bit more about your experiences with your Evo III and how about some pics too. :) Watch out for big bad (admin) Alvin with the :stickpoke :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
There's also a misperception that certain vehicles (cars or motorcycles) spend more time in the shop than on the road.

Maybe that was the case 20 years ago but that's not going to be acceptable now -especially due to lemon laws:

"The state lemon laws and other federal consumer protection laws could help you get rid of that lemon!" www.lemonlawamerica.com

·
Registered
415 Posts
Well, my Brutale sure has had some issues..

1) driver seat cover came loose from the seat foam. Happened in march. Still waiting for new seat on warranty.
2) right mirror glass just took off while driving. Happened in early july. Still waiting for replacement on warranty.
3) headlight glass left bike, crashed to ground. Happened in late july. Bought new one myself from e-bay (480$ with fast-shipping) to not ruin the summer since i had already my disbelieves towards MV service. Proved right, today still waiting for replacement on warranty.

Do i still love the bike? Yes, even more today than before!
Will i buy another one? I had planned to get a f4 1000 R but i have stopped that plan for now. Need some proof of that MV cares about their devoted fans.

Havent seen that yet. Only from the retailers. Not from MV Agusta.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Greg Albert wrote:
I have such an incredible dealer and importer who has fixed things free just because he wanted to.

Hey Greg. Who is your dealer in Sydney. Stoney Creek motorcycles?

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
the_thomas said:
1) driver seat cover came loose from the seat foam. Happened in march. Still waiting for new seat on warranty.
2) right mirror glass just took off while driving. Happened in early july. Still waiting for replacement on warranty.
3) headlight glass left bike, crashed to ground. Happened in late july. Bought new one myself from e-bay (480$ with fast-shipping) to not ruin the summer since i had already my disbelieves towards MV service. Proved right, today still waiting for replacement on warranty.
Who's your dealer? Have you tried contacting another dealer? Reason I ask is because a few years ago (during the dark days of the bankruptcy), I people said they were having hard time getting oil filters from their dealers. I called my local dealer and he has several (7 or so) in stock. I called some other dealers and they had them in stock too. So, I think parts issus can sometime be dealers dragging their feet. I usually don't buy that "Parts aren't available" line. Escalate to Cagiva USA or even Italy if necessary.

·
Registered
415 Posts
the_thomas said:

Do i still love the bike? Yes, even more today than before!
Will i buy another one? I had planned to get a f4 1000 R but i have stopped that plan for now. Need some proof of that MV cares about their devoted fans.

Havent seen that yet. Only from the retailers. Not from MV Agusta.

Allan Gibbs said:
Who's your dealer? Have you tried contacting another dealer? Reason I ask is because a few years ago (during the dark days of the bankruptcy), I people said they were having hard time getting oil filters from their dealers. I called my local dealer and he has several (7 or so) in stock. I called some other dealers and they had them in stock too. So, I think parts issus can sometime be dealers dragging their feet. I usually don't buy that "Parts aren't available" line. Escalate to Cagiva USA or even Italy if necessary.
I have done that, trust me - i always check everywhere for possible solutions, for instance the way i fixed the headlight issue!

I think the problem here is that we all try to stay friends with this fantastic brand, and the only effect is that MV thinks we are easy to handle pussies!

I am fed up with it now, and if a few more of you would also be, we wouldn´t have to crawl around so much.

We buy.

They sell.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I think you're absolutely right. We're paying a premium for this motorcycle and we should demand we get the proper support. If we let issues lie, then it does send a message to the dealer, Cagiva USA, or even Cagiva Italy that we're content with their lack of service.

That hurts the brand because we people do blow up, it's serious negative publicity for MV Agusta and perpetuates the stereotype that MV's aren't reliable.

I do remember someone who had a MV Agusta website who had a 750S and then got a 750 Senna. He had major issues with the bike. In the end, out of frustrations he shut down his site. The effect was like loosing this forum which in turn is a serious loss of free publicity on MV's part. I'm not sure what ever happen to him or how his issues was resolved. (However, I don't know the full story so if I'm wrong, please correct me).

So, if you have a problem. Take it up with your dealer, elevate to Cagiva USA and Italy. And if that doesn't work, use whatever legal means you have available. Your actually doing the brand more good than harm.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts