MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my new bike one of the feelings I had was wow what a great machine, I am not going to change anything and leave it in pristine condition. But here are some thoughts about making it better and possibly releasing the monster lurking inside the engine.
  • Warning/Info labels: These are not clear coated on and are easy to remove. For example, we in the US have a label on the gas tank telling us to use the best gas possible. I think such labels serve no long term purpose on the bike. Once you spent the 10 seconds it takes to read one of them, they could be removed with no harm. In fact, all info labels from my bike are now gone. Another example is the chain slack label on the carbon chain guard. Like the fuel label, after the initial read the label servers no purpose. In my opinion, it takes away from the bikes looks. So gone it is along with the swing arm torque label and any others that were not clear coated.
  • Side reflectors: There are 4 of them. These are big fat ugly stickers that are poorly attached to the bike. I suspect MV used easy to remove stickers to help us just peel them off. In other words, I suspect that MV expects most owners will remove them. Of course I could be wrong, but that is my guess. Gone they are on my bike.
  • Exhaust: I have to say the catalytic converter is a god awful ugly thing. If you compare the size of the muffler constriction of the stock pipe with that of a free flowing pipe its amazing the difference. When I first saw the size of the stock openings, I though how in the world can the engine run with that kind of restriction.
The MV publication called User’s Guide statesThe high temperatures caused by the use of the vehicle on race circuits could compromise the efficiency of the catalytic converter and of the exhaust system; therefore, we suggest assembling a special exhaust system when using the vehicle on race circuits”! Wait a minute, you don’t have to be on a race track to “exercise” the engine and get the pipe hot. This is the first time I’ve ever seen a manufacturer suggest getting rid of the stock exhaust. In other words, if you run the bike the way it was engineered to be used, the pipe needs to be removed and replaced with a free flowing exhaust.

I feel that my bike is being strangled in order to meet emissions and noise regulations and there is another engine trapped inside of my bike. I intend to release this monster lurking within my engine with a free flowing exhaust, race ECU and the proper fuel/air adjustments. It’s a lot of work, but after it’s done, you'll forget about the effort and really enjoy the machine.
When I did this to my ZX10, it changed the character of the bike. Now when it idles, it has this gurgling sort of idle which is music to the ears. Love the sound of the raw engine with its loping/gurgling sounds. I am sure the MV will respond in the same way.

So even though the I love the bike as-is, I think I can expend some effort to clean it up and release the monster lurking within as I think was intended by MV all along.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Thats funny, i took the reflectors off in my dealers parking lot before I had even ridden the bike.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
NICE THREAD HELLCAT
The exhaust section interested me.
There is a thread for the BODIS system,i trust you have seen it.
Damn nice looking pipes,same as original only no CAT and plenty of freeflow.
When you decide on your pipes,give us a look,maybe some DYNO sheets to match.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts