MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people of mv agusta . Net!

Recently and finally insured by f4 750 which is a pleasure and aching to ride, unfortunetly one of my relays is playing up (bitron PA66-GF30 5 pin) which I cant seem to find anywhere! Ive bought a generic one from maplins and the bike turns on starts up even without ignition or keys inserted!!! Madness! Which I thougt that this tells me that the little diode is not blown? The maplins relay has a different layout compared to oem (bitron) was told that mine is a 2 pole double contact relay???? Any help or suggestions or spare laying around would be great! Added a picture of layout

Regards

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
You need to have the right diode protected double pole relay mate. How do you know the relay is playing up, are you sure your battery was not low ? Did you disconnect and reconnect your battery at any stage ?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so does the relay have a diode inside? because there is one on the connection which goes into the relay? I opened the relay up and connected it back up and its not moving to make contact (if that makes any sense) if I make a connection by moving the little plate bike starts up, I disconnected the battery as I thought it was flat but it was fully charged, might of touched the frame with red wire not sure - but it still started with the other relay from maplins which has different layout and no diode? Very confusing

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
* forgot to mention that even before the battery check the bike/ignition was not lighting up - after shaking the relay it would click on/work

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yep its listed as the general feed relay number 20 thats correct, do you think that the ebay listed relay will work or should I keep searching as it does not have a 87b listed? not sure if that makes any difference!

so much hassle for a stupid relay arghhh

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
I did say yes :), I think it could work, it's just the second contact so as long as the pins are similar you should be ok.
It's not stupid or very strange, quite common actually.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
yep its listed as the general feed relay number 20 thats correct, do you think that the ebay listed relay will work or should I keep searching as it does not have a 87b listed? not sure if that makes any difference!

so much hassle for a stupid relay arghhh

30 is the positive feed on the load side. Looking at the wiring diagram 87b is the load when switched to fuses 1 through 5 and then also the instrument pin 11, I think from the diagram.

87 is the switched feed to the thermal switch....which activates the fan relay..

The diode on the switching side is there to prevent a reverse voltage spike when the coil is de-energised...

Check the diagram yourself though ..:smoking:

joe

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
just noticed that the 30a is labelled at the bottom pin on mine and on the ebay one its on the side? please correct me cheers
I don't see a 30a anywhere.
Show the standard relay pin configuration please.

85 - 86 are the "coil" connections for the relay, they can be nowhere else !

30 - and the 2x 87's are as you mentioned in function, pin location is crucial too !

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry for the late reply guys (weekend!) hope you enjoyed yours!

ok just saved the images for comparison

first (left) picture layout of relay with resistor

Left pin layout has the 30 number where the 86 supposed to be (which I was meant to purchase)

second picture (right) is picture of relay layout without relay but correct pin layout

I was also told that it does not matter if the resistor is not labelled on the relay as its only there for protection? I did see a resistor/diode on the plug it self (wired) so I think that makes sense..

I think I will purchase the second relay - what do you think? (without resistor)

Cheers

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Weekend was good thank, staying in bed all day today for recovery :) and pain killers.

I'm not going to speculate any further on which relay might or might not work on your bike, but I'll say this much though, you know what you took off so that's what you need to put back. :naughty:
85 and 86 is the coil circuit, you can not swap that. Like I said before, the pin configuration vs wiring layout has to correspond, look at the wiring diagram.:)
Not being rude, but simply because I don't have the same model as your here to look at the plug. But I did however remove to relays from two of the bikes and took pics to offer you alternative part numbers to search for.:f4: Hope that helps for you or others following this thread silently.
The four bikes that I do have to look at does not have a diode on the plug but that means little as they are not the same model as your bike.
One question though, why do you not just buy the right relay form one of the dealers/sponsors on the forum ?

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hahah Im seriously not bothered to search anymore! The bottom relay is exactly the same as mine! Bitron make but I have noticed that some other ones on ebay with same part number come with 4 pins and different layouts! e.g if you search for a aprilia relay with same part numbers etc comes up with a 4 pin! Where can I buy the original part from? Could you please send some links, would be really greatful!

Get better soon ;)

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Hahah Im seriously not bothered to search anymore! The bottom relay is exactly the same as mine! Bitron make but I have noticed that some other ones on ebay with same part number come with 4 pins and different layouts! e.g if you search for a aprilia relay with same part numbers etc comes up with a 4 pin! Where can I buy the original part from? Could you please send some links, would be really greatful!

Get better soon ;)
You're not taking the piss on me are you mate. :naughty:
We have a market place with sponsors - http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35

And - http://shop.startwintrading.com/en/products/f4/new-folder-15/electric-system-233

1 - 20 of 83 Posts