MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello this is my first post on here after reading for the last couple of weeks.
i have the unfortunate pleasure of having a 1078 that decided to fry its alternator.
now after having no luck finding one i decided to take it apart and found the issue (a blown rotor) and the thing that caused the problem (mv making a large object fit in a small space).
i managed to make a rotor from a zx7r p model fit by machining down 1.5mm on each end and 1mm off the back of the drive plate.
so to cut a long story short my alternator now works but it would a appear the regulator is damaged as im getting 15v at idle.
does anyone know of a replacement part for this model, preferably in uk or Europe.
cheers
Paul

·
Registered
14,409 Posts
any automotive electrical repair shop should have them.....

25,000mi @14.79 V at idle no issues no battery tender either :naughty:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there is no part numbers to work on. all the alternator guys i have spoken to and shown them the parts have said no dice . have emailed a usa firm but in the uk there does not seem to be anything unless i can get a part number. bloody mv

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Hello this is my first post on here after reading for the last couple of weeks.
i have the unfortunate pleasure of having a 1078 that decided to fry its alternator.
now after having no luck finding one i decided to take it apart and found the issue (a blown rotor) and the thing that caused the problem (mv making a large object fit in a small space).
i managed to make a rotor from a zx7r p model fit by machining down 1.5mm on each end and 1mm off the back of the drive plate.
so to cut a long story short my alternator now works but it would a appear the regulator is damaged as im getting 15v at idle.
does anyone know of a replacement part for this model, preferably in uk or Europe.
cheers
Paul
Hi Paul.

Can I suggest you check your voltmeter on another bike before you pull your alternator.

If you are still getting problems let me know and Ill see what I can do to help.

atb

Joe

·
Registered
14,409 Posts
ND numbers?

kwakkwak;

trust me its not MV this time.......its the :jerkoff: at ND you can't cross reference ANYTHING they make

complete assholes:wtf::wtf::wtf:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
cheers for the link . i fixed the alternator myself i used a kwak rotor and shortened it.
the issue with the mv unit is the bearing sits 1mm from the terminations of the windings. over a short amount of time the fibre washer they use as a insulator breaks down and blammo your windings ark out on the race of the bearing.
the kawasaki unit sits 3mm from the windings but was 3mm longer over all, so i machined down the unds by 1.5mm each and then took a mm off the back face of the drive flange.and bingo one working alternator.
and to be honest its not that hard to get the unit off an on once you get the hang of it.

now my issue is im refusing to accept as many mv owners have that there reg charging at 15v is ok. and just changing the battery when it cooks it. i know there will be a lower spec reg that outputs at a lower voltage that the one mv used.

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
cheers for the link . i fixed the alternator myself i used a kwak rotor and shortened it.
the issue with the mv unit is the bearing sits 1mm from the terminations of the windings. over a short amount of time the fibre washer they use as a insulator breaks down and blammo your windings ark out on the race of the bearing.
the kawasaki unit sits 3mm from the windings but was 3mm longer over all, so i machined down the unds by 1.5mm each and then took a mm off the back face of the drive flange.and bingo one working alternator.
and to be honest its not that hard to get the unit off an on once you get the hang of it.

now my issue is im refusing to accept as many mv owners have that there reg charging at 15v is ok. and just changing the battery when it cooks it. i know there will be a lower spec reg that outputs at a lower voltage that the one mv used.
Great work !

You are most likely right Paul but, knowing sods law like wot I do, it may be prudent to check the readout of your voltmeter against another bike or two just in case it is over reading ...

joe

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the mv runs a sense system, where the regulator gets a signal from the ecu that tells it to give more or less voltage to the battery. sometimes this can get a bad connection and cause it to over charge.
i have found a guy in the states who can provide a regulator with a upper spec of 14.5v+/- .2

1 - 10 of 10 Posts