MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, hard to find Agip (ENI) 10w60 locally (or any other 10w60)

But the Motorsports shop near me has Redline 10w60 (and 15w50 which im also considering)
any feedback on either of these?

·
Administrator
20,788 Posts
Reactions: Edward

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
14,684 Posts
?

Hmmm
I buy Mobil 1 in a 5 quart container for $22.88, from Wal-Mart, if I buy 2 they pay the shipping >:)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm
I buy Mobil 1 in a 5 quart container for $22.88, from Wal-Mart, if I buy 2 they pay the shipping >:)
mobil 1...which?
was thinking I was just going to say screw it and get some Castrol 4t 20w50 from wally world, stop me before its too late!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Darn apparently the motorsports shop only carries the Car oil not the "power sports" oil

anything too wrong with just putting in castrol 10w-60 TWS edge/super car?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Been using Castrol 1 for years. About $65 for 4ltrs here in Oz. Recently however my son was talking to a bloke who drag races a turbo Hayabusa that's pretty quick. This bloke subscribes to info from a top drag racer in the U.S.

He recommended the attached. Something to do with it's zinc content. About $75 here in Oz. Good enough for me so I've changed.

Cheers

Deano

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Been using Castrol 1 for years. About $65 for 4ltrs here in Oz. Recently however my son was talking to a bloke who drag races a turbo Hayabusa that's pretty quick. This bloke subscribes to info from a top drag racer in the U.S.

He recommended the attached. Something to do with it's zinc content. About $75 here in Oz. Good enough for me so I've changed.

Cheers

Deano
yes, but, thats certainly not readily available here....

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oi..... opened up a can of worms didn't I?

and what about weights? 20w50 vs 15w50 vs 10w50 vs 10w60??

I wouldn't mind if the bike ran a bit cooler.

obviously the easiest wt to find is 20w50.

also can you guys mention if you are talking specifically a motorcycle oil or not?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you look closely at the photo it says 'motorcycle oil'.
yes, yours does but others posts mention mobil 1 which I think is a car oil.

However after doing research It seems that mobil 1 V-twin oil 20w-50 seems like a suitable oil, it has 1750ppm Zinc which the highest i've seen and is a True synthetic (group IV)

·
Super Moderator
22,876 Posts
Reactions: Deano and Nesca

·
Administrator
20,788 Posts
Just remember this.... Motorcycle engines (most of them) use the same oil to lubricate the transmission and clutch as the engine. Transmission gears are the hardest thing on oil, shearing the polymers constantly.

Motorcycle oils are formulated with additives to help with the shearing action of the transmission gears. Automotive oils are not.

You must also be aware that some automotive oils have friction modifier additives that will cause a motorcycle wet clutch to slip.

Look for the MA standard on your oil choice as well as the SAE SM (or what ever letter they are up to now) standard.

Oils are different. They are not all exactly the same at all. But if it is MA class it is suitable for any bike. Viscosity is a variable that must be taken into account. Too thin and your engine will suffer when hot, too thick and your engine may suffer when cold.

You make your choices, pay your money and take your chances.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, well went down to the local store, they had Silkolene 15-50 (highest wt they had in that) @ 17$ a quart :cussing:and grabbed a purolator BOSS filter(at the auto parts store)
the Silkolene was the only oil with the API SN rating. so lets give it a try

(however at the auto parts store....I saw they had Valvoline and shell 20w-50 motorcycle oil (ducati approved it said on the bottle) and both of those were SN rated! for 10-12$....:rant: )

1 - 20 of 30 Posts