MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is the recommended RPM range.
I read posts saying using low and high range.
The Use and maintenance manual states:
"Avoid high gear ratios when travelling at high speed (excessively low rpm) as well as low gear ratios when travelling at high speed (excessively high rpm)"

All this is very subjectif with a range from 0 to 17k, red light coming up at 14.5k especially when I know some Harleys with max 7k rpm.

Would it be normal to be at 4.5k/5.5k, first gear to ride at 30mph for instance. Is 7k to 12k a good range for medium to long distance?
Or would it be better at 4k to 7k range? Or 6k to 9k?

I look forward to get some insight from experienced MV Agusta owners.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
My cruising is around 5-7k normally, in 6th gear. That's around 100-130 km/h. More on the lower side though. Usually I just drive around 100km/h since I am preserving my tires in the middle of the profile.

You should avoid long situations under 3k RPM.

First gear, 30 mph and 10k RPM is not normal. 7k-12k is not a good range for long distances. If you are doing it in 1 or 2nd gear, you will torture the engine. If you would be doing it in 5 and 6th, your arms would fall off since that would speeds in range of 200km/h.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I read posts saying using low and high range...

Would it be normal to be at 10k, first gear to ride at 30mph for instance.
Do you mean for regular (normal) STREET driving? Operating a bike of these CC's in "normal" street riding conditions should be about 3k-6k rpm.

If you are traveling 30mph with 10k rpm on a normal street ride, I believe most will agree (sorry to be frank) maximizing horsepower on low speed street ride is pretty stupid. Plus, if you do that everyday, that will just shorten the engine's life.

Is 7k to 12k a good range for medium to long distance?
Operating at those rpm is ideal only for racing/ very high performance, so if you're on a race track, the higher you are able to maintain rev range so as to extract maximum horsepower, sure it's good.

Otherwise, that rev range is not recommended for safe/lawful street use, outside of just brief bursts when needed to accelerate out of a situation. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
48 Posts
"Avoid high gear ratios when travelling at high speed (excessively low rpm) as well as low gear ratios when travelling at high speed (excessively high rpm)"

All this is very subjectif with a range from 0 to 17k, red light coming up at 14.5k especially when I know some Harleys with max 7k rpm.

Would it be normal to be at 10k, first gear to ride at 30mph for instance. Is 7k to 12k a good range for medium to long distance?

I prefer to ride by feel more than anything.. and I spend very little time in first gear but I would agree with others that 10k might be a little high but even if it is you shouldn't be in 1st that long.
If it feels like its luggin it- shift down.. if it feels like she's buzzing out of control shift up... Torque feel is great indicator as well. I hope you're not focusing too much on your Tach because you wouldn't be watching out for that car getting ready to turn left infront of you- :jsm:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure it is not 10k, I looked more closely tonight, it was more 4.5-5.5k at 30mph first fear.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I prefer to ride by feel more than anything.. and I spend very little time in first gear but I would agree with others that 10k might be a little high but even if it is you shouldn't be in 1st that long.
If it feels like its luggin it- shift down.. if it feels like she's buzzing out of control shift up... Torque feel is great indicator as well. I hope you're not focusing too much on your Tach because you wouldn't be watching out for that car getting ready to turn left infront of you- :jsm:
Agreed. I was looking for some input. I didn't want to feel great about my riding for some to come and say I change my gear to quickly from 1st to 4st gear and doing 60mph. That's what happened to me recently following a GSXR1000. In second gear he was doing 60mph and I was on 4st gear. I got to agree that I changed too quickly to come up to the 4th gear. Thinking on it though, if he was doing 60mph on 2nd, at what speed did he left the 1st gear? Very quickly I guess but he definitely stayed on 2nd gear a lot longer than I. How does it compare to a MV Agusta 750cc? It can be hard to know since we are always on our own on a bike and all bikes are different. Of course we want the bike to have a long and reliable life!

·
Registered
4,587 Posts

Would it be normal to be at 10k, first gear to ride at 30mph for instance. Is 7k to 12k a good range for medium to long distance?

No way I'd be using those kind of rev ranges during normal street riding with my bike!. I've a Brutale 1078rr and if I took it to 10k revs in first gear it'd loop the loop!. I think if you rode your MV like that using those kind of revs in street riding you'd probably never get past 3rd gear. These are pretty powerful bikes and for me, going up through the gears in the street I'm usually revving from 3-6k and believe me by the time you've reached 6th gear you're 'shifting'! Also Cruising for me (in 6th) is around 6k (ish). More than enough for me on the street unless you REALLY want to get 'a wriggle on'. In short I just ride it like most other bikes including my CBR Fireblade but I show it the respect as it's very tractable.:) Cheers Brian

·
Administrator
20,391 Posts
Don't lug the engine and don't over rev the engine...ride where the vibrations and the torque feel good.

I usually cruise in the 5~6000 rpm range, but do so enjoy the occasional blast up to 14,000. In the middle gears in traffic 3000 rpm is nice and easy, but I wouldn't use that rpm in the higher gears.

Steady 10,000 in first or second gear is when the front wheel just leaps off the ground if you twist the grip a bit more....

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Usually keep it between 3-6K, but do what feels normal. Think of a car with an automatic transmission, it shifts to the highest gear asap to preserve engine life and get better fuel mileage.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Usually keep it between 3-6K, but do what feels normal. Think of a car with an automatic transmission, it shifts to the highest gear asap to preserve engine life and get better fuel mileage.
Good point.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I have tried several times to teach my gf to drive my car. She's always running it at 3500-4500 rpm (cruising speed), very high, I usually shift at around 3K.
She always asks, when do I shift? And I'm like when would your car shift, it definently isn't running through town running at 4500 rpm.

She is ignorant though and doesn't even know what that means.

So basically what I'm trying to say is don't be a girl :stickpoke

your giving brutie riders a bad name:)

·
Registered
311 Posts
I always keep it at 4k to 5k for commuting (moderate to heavy traffic) and 7k and up when I'm getting aggressive on a ride. The higher rpms really are made for the aggressive stuff and there's no point in beating on your engine in stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have tried several times to teach my gf to drive my car. She's always running it at 3500-4500 rpm (cruising speed), very high, I usually shift at around 3K.
She always asks, when do I shift? And I'm like when would your car shift, it definently isn't running through town running at 4500 rpm.

She is ignorant though and doesn't even know what that means.

So basically what I'm trying to say is don't be a girl :stickpoke

your giving brutie riders a bad name:)

I bet your car isn't showing 17k RPM.
The point is what might sound a truly high RPM on something could just be normal on something else.
That's why I asked.
I never been shamed to ask silly question and will never be.

·
Registered
589 Posts
You should be able to tell where in the rev range your engine is happy. A modern high performance motor is designed for high revs. 8000 and above on a modern bike engine is normal and they can take this seemingly for ever, and do not sound stressed.
My car on the other hand makes me nervous when it rarely gets near 4000 rpm. That would be when the wife is driving!:stickpoke

·
Registered
876 Posts
Using timing and location, find yourself a little seclusion and beat the shit out of it a few times. The middle of the scale is easy to find once you've been to BOTH ends.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I will give you $50.00 if you get a video of yourself riding the Brute in 1st gear at 10,000 rpm in residential/city streets. Please make sure to capture more than 30 seconds and post it on mvgusta.net. You get an extra $5.00 if you don't wear a helmet or ear plugs.

Would it be normal to be at 4.5k/5.5k, first gear to ride at 30mph for instance. Is 7k to 12k a good range for medium to long distance?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I ride around the 5k mark where there is actually a little power and not utter gutlessness.

It's geared really short so freeway riding i'd be sitting on 6k.

Around the twistys, i'll have it around the 10k mark if you want to have any hope of moving spiritedly.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Around the twistys, i'll have it around the 10k mark if you want to have any hope of moving spiritedly.
That sounds like a challenge eh :naughty: Shame we're in different states.

Keeping high momentum through twisties (the tighter the better) on an MV using less than 7k rpm is a lot of fun. You can be very quick and smooth. In fact using the entire rev range on compact roads can become too much of a handful to be methodical in your approach since lower gears are used. Pretend the road is wet, use lower revs, and end up going faster :)

And using a 750 :blah:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
That sounds like a challenge eh :naughty: Shame we're in different states.

Keeping high momentum through twisties (the tighter the better) on an MV using less than 7k rpm is a lot of fun. You can be very quick and smooth. In fact using the entire rev range on compact roads can become too much of a handful to be methodical in your approach since lower gears are used. Pretend the road is wet, use lower revs, and end up going faster :)

And using a 750 :blah:

I'm used to the torque of the Duc S4R and it's ability to launch you like a rocket out of corners.

To be honest i have only ridden the Brute 750 once in spirited fashion and it feels very sluggish compared to the Duc so that's why i had the revs so high.

It's probably not ideal but it's the riding style i have developed that lets me feel most comfortable on the bike. I rarely use the brakes, i let the engine do it all for me so high revs give quicker/smoother braking and then i'm in the sweetspot to power out.

You won't get much of a challenge from me on fast flowing roads. I simply don't have the balls to go that quick. Tight twisty stuff maybe i can have a go :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have always found that four cylinder engines need to be ridden in the higher rpm than twins for optimal performance. I have a 35 year old Honda and I still take that bike high into the revs, so there is no way I am going to baby my MV! It has a rev limiter, so if I hit that I am thankful it is there and I kindly shift to the next gear. In the city I do always keep in the lower revs, but when I am on any kind of good roads I like the revs to be higher so that I can use engine braking and have the best acceleration coming out of corners as well. I agree with groper's comment about not using the brakes much on the good roads. All of the fastest riders I have known have also been the smoothest riders. The fastest of them all told me "If you have to use the breaks you are riding too fast." Aside from being a statement of the obvious, there is a good lesson there. Anyway, as for engine longevity based on rpm's, I have a 1975 four cylinder Honda and a 1977 twin Guzzi. I ride my mv essentially the same as I ride those, and the bike is what makes all the changes in my speed etc. When people ask me if I am more aggressive on this bike, my answer is that the bike is more aggressive and I am the same. If those engines have lasted this long I am going to keep riding my MV with all the range it has available and hopefully it will last as long as those - after all, it is made with the intent to perform at a high level. My advice is to ride it how it feels good to you and if you want it to keep pulling through the revs you will have more of them available, but if you want to shift it a bit lower you will be fine. Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts