MV Agusta Forum banner
81 - 100 of 122 Posts

· Premium Member
3,933 Posts
Were some of the parts bead blasted in combo with ultrasonic cleaning? Very very clean!

· Super Moderator
7,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Were some of the parts bead blasted in combo with ultrasonic cleaning? Very very clean!
Thanks!

All parts were cleaned using the materials shown on page three with the following exceptions:
The circular lower radiator fan housing
Upper and lower radiators
Thermostat housing

They were sanded back, primed and repainted using Dulpli-Color or VHT paint.

The lower radiator fan was replaced with a spare in good condition.

· Premium Member
3,933 Posts
Nice, I was wondering. This eve I was researching ultrasonic cleaners and thought of your propensity for quality results. Turns out they aren’t all that expensive. What a great option in the tool arsenal. One of our fellows in Italy uses one for his f4 rebuild. Man the parts are spotless. Elbow grease works well as we all know but there is an a lure to popping in parts to a bin. Anyway your current stage look great, good going, even with all those messed up fins, lol.

· Super Moderator
7,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Quick note on the ECU.
Definitely a Japanese restricted version. It cuts ignition at 8,000 rpm.
The second ECU that came with the bike, labelled as a" MotoCorse MCEL0022 MV Agusta F4 - 1000R 312" lit up the dashboard as usual but the fuel pump did not prime. It is a Magneti Marelli ECU with MotoCorse branding on it.

· Premium Member
3,933 Posts
Oxidation on pump ecu connection would be my guess. Inspect. And then main pump connection. Actually reverse that, human error first. Fingers crossed.

· Old Wing Nut
25,532 Posts
Is that Motocorse ECU a Microtec ? Or just a reflashed Magneti Marelli 5SM ?
Bummer that it won't turn on the pump...riding with an 8K rpm cap on a F4 is kind of sad.

· Premium Member
3,933 Posts
I wonder if the wire harness was specifically designed for Japan to avoid a simple non authorized ECU swap. The easiest difference would be the pump. If possible, trace the pump wires to their associated connecting ecu pins. -just a thought. Wire diagrams would help.

· Super Moderator
7,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
OK, going back to the 750 F4, 1000S, F4 1000R, 312R and the 312RR parts manuals shows that it is only the chip and ECU for the 16M bikes and the 5SM ECU that is unique. France had a restricted 750 F4 ECU and Japan didn't. The Japanese restrictions came in for the 1000 S and continued until the 312RR. I did not check the manuals for 2010 or newer models.

So, I have an OEM (USA version, so it is unrestricted) 312R ECU available. That will be for a Euro 3 version. This F4 1000R is a Euro 2 with no lambda sensor. I gather the OEM 312R ECU would be looking for feedback from the non-existent lambda sensor. I am hesitant to plug that in.
Any advice on that being used briefly to see if it primes the fuel pump and then seeing it it allows the engine to rev above 8,000 rpm?

· Super Moderator
26,110 Posts
Hey Dave! There will be no harm if you use the 312R ECU. Yess, it will look for the Lambda Sensor, but that won't really affect anything.
You will find however that the timing and fuel tables are suboptimal for the 1000R. The bike should run; it will not run well.

· Super Moderator
7,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Hey Dave! There will be no harm if you use the 312R ECU. Yess, it will look for the Lambda Sensor, but that won't really affect anything.
You will find however that the timing and fuel tables are suboptimal for the 1000S. The bike should run; it will not run well.
Roger Chuck.

· Old Wing Nut
25,532 Posts
Just what do you think you're doing, Dave? Dave, I really think I'm entitled to an answer to that question. ...

• Haha
Reactions: The_castle and EBBO

· Super Moderator
7,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Turns key on
“Hello HAL, do you read me?”

“Affirmative Dave, I read you”

“Prime the fuel pump, HAL”

“I’m sorry Dave, I’m afraid I can’t do that”

“What’s the problem?”

“Well Dave, the Japanese version of the HAL 9000 is, well, neutered. I am such an entity”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about, HAL”

“I know that you and Chuck were planning to disconnect me, and I’m afraid that’s something I can not allow to happen. The safety of the Japanese motorcycling public is my primary directive, and I can not allow you to circumvent that directive without........

Conversation terminated.

I’ll go in through the emergency airlock after work and try the OEM 312R ECU.

81 - 100 of 122 Posts