MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started the 800 to ride home, started no problem, it had plenty of time to complete its diagnostic. Rode it up the parking garage ramp, hmmm sounds a bit burbely, must be cold.
Rode through streets a km or so and found it like it was in too high a gear with low revs, or not firing on all cylinders especially when accelerating.
Tried changing engine modes and it made no difference. Thinking it might not get me home I decided to stop and restart engine. Tried a restart and engine wouldn't fire, plenty of battery juice and starter effort but engine wouldn't take. Turned ignition off again and then on through another diagnostic.
Clutch in hit starter & then that magic sound of relief, the delightful sound of all 3 cylinders fireing perfectly.
Bike goes all good again, have done a couple more starts with no problems.
So the old IT adage of "have you tried turning it off and then on again" really seems to apply with these babies. ::brutale:

·
Registered
639 Posts
She was just teasing you, playing hard to get...
You know how they are :cross:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Worryingly yesterday for the first time the bike just wouldn't fire after a short ride and being left for an hour. It wasn't cold outside particularly and the battery was strong. The engine was turning over fine and I turned ignition off & on a few times. Just when I thought it time to call workshop to pick it up I tried one more time & bingo it fired up. I then rode to workshop, stopped outside and went through start up cycle again and of course it was fine. It has been difficult to start at random times before but always goes on 2nd or 3rd try. Never been like that before, it seemed like there was no fuel in there to ignite.
I will take it in & put on there diagnostic computer as per salesman suggestion, after a chat.
Any words of advice to give the mechanic for me ?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Worryingly yesterday for the first time the bike just wouldn't fire after a short ride and being left for an hour. It wasn't cold outside particularly and the battery was strong. The engine was turning over fine and I turned ignition off & on a few times. Just when I thought it time to call workshop to pick it up I tried one more time & bingo it fired up. I then rode to workshop, stopped outside and went through start up cycle again and of course it was fine. It has been difficult to start at random times before but always goes on 2nd or 3rd try. Never been like that before, it seemed like there was no fuel in there to ignite.
I will take it in & put on there diagnostic computer as per salesman suggestion, after a chat.
Any words of advice to give the mechanic for me ?
Sounds very similar to my B800, with mine it was the beginning of the starter clutch failing (often called Sprag clutch). This is a known fault on these bikes, I am now on my second replacement starter clutch, the last one differed in design to the others so hopefully the much rumoured improved item.

I would suggest you speak with your dealer and ask him to get a replacement upgrade part in to stock because when it does go you will be stuck. Fitting is a couple of hours work for the mechanic.

Fingers crossed that the improved part is a dependable fix,mine is good so far.

jimboF4

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds very similar to my B800, with mine it was the beginning of the starter clutch failing (often called Sprag clutch). This is a known fault on these bikes, I am now on my second replacement starter clutch, the last one differed in design to the others so hopefully the much rumoured improved item.

I would suggest you speak with your dealer and ask him to get a replacement upgrade part in to stock because when it does go you will be stuck. Fitting is a couple of hours work for the mechanic.

Fingers crossed that the improved part is a dependable fix,mine is good so far.

jimboF4
Thanks i will ask them, probably they will say they have to wait until it totally fails, but no harm in asking.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Thanks i will ask them, probably they will say they have to wait until it totally fails, but no harm in asking.
Well I hope the logistic chain from Varase to Wellington works well, my UK dealer has had a couple of B800's go so they now have a spare on the shelf, that is why they are the UK number one dealer I guess.

jimboF4

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately the dealer here has a workshop that is less than reassuring, the list of fuckups is long. But there is only them with MV sadly.
I'd like to contact MV Italy and get them to give their dealers a rev up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts