1. Tires mounted and balanced
2. TPS reset
3. Throttle bodies sync’d
4. Plugs changed, NGK iridium
5. Replace fuel fittings with metal ones
6. Replace fuel lines
7. Water pump replaced with MV high flow pump
8. Coolant changed for distilled water and water wetter
9. Steering stabilizer added, (stripped bolt)
10. Mirrors/stalks taken off bike (hardware kept)

This is the work i just had done at the dealer, some i could have done myself, but some/most needed dealer tools and expertise.

since it was going to them anyway for the TPS reset and throttle body sync, i decided to have them replace fuel fittings and replace the fuel lines and do spark plugs. A bolt on the handle bar mount was stripped so i let them deal with that.

i was expecting a total of $500, with $600 being my upper limit, and i told them that.... they just called me and my total is 750! they told me i could stop now at $550, but they have not completed the TPS reset or throttle body sync.....

The shop is retarded expensive at $100 an hour for labor, but i didnt expect this to be this much....

and keep in mind this is LABOR ONLY as i supplied ALL the parts, i had the plugs, water wetter, water, the damper, tires, water pump,etc....

how much time do each of these items take? before i pay out my ass id like to have a workable figure

i had more work for them to do (labor only), but i simply couldnt afford to do any more..

im very disappointed right now

·
Registered
619 Posts
$100 an hour is not really that steep nowadays.
When I worked at Cummins the rate was $99 hr 5 years ago.
Local ford dealer $100 hr.
Professional auto restoration shop $110+.
I have owned, Hondas, Kawasakis, Nortons, Harleys, Buells and a interesting Ariel.
The Agusta has been the easiest to wrench by far.

Ed:)

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Labor rates are regional in scope. San Francisco is gonna be more expensive than Tulsa. Where are you based?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry... Im based out of Tampa Fl....

Im not saying the rates are out of line, as even my local yamaha dealer is around $75 per hour, so the premium from a MV/Ducati shop is expected. I went in knowing it was $100 per hour.... Im questioning the total hours billed....

I guess what im asking is 7+ hours of labor reasonable for the amount of work performed? knowing that some parts assist with access to others, ie: with the tank being removed already, a lot of the work should have been able to be completed under book time....

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
I recon it might be a good days work for all of that. But in saying that, as a small business I do increase my labour charge when customers decide to buy their own materials, that's common practice.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im all about helping out the small business... but i also understand the value of a dollar... when i can buy michelin Pilot power 3, for $25 a set cheaper then the dealer was going to charge me for the stock pilot power it makes better sense for me to buy my own tires....

but at these stupid prices they have pretty much lost my business for good... It would be cheaper to buy the tools and let Yamaha or my local triumph dealer do the work....

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
I understand, there's a fine line in the sand I suppose, that's why I do mostly my own work. The problem with going to a Yamaha or Triumph dealer, is that they probably won't do the TPS or even look at the hub etc.

·
Administrator
19,533 Posts
Should have had them do the TPS, throttle synch and tires first. The rest of it is stuff you may have done yourself.
You're paying for their tire machine with the tire changes, the actual time is nowhere near the labor charge.

That said, I think 6 hours is enough to have done everything. Maybe less than that depending on the stripped bolt issue. I am sure their tech is being super careful with your bike and going slower than he might with a POS Ducati or something....still, they should be done for the amount of time they have you down for now...in my opinion.

·
Registered
115 Posts
As a general rule, I add 50% to the time that I think it should take. If I can not afford that, then it waits. That does not seem too unreasonable to me. And of course, by having them perform the work, if something goes wrong, you can always take it back to them (with the original invoice).

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Honestly it probably took then 3.5 to 4 hours if one guy was doing it and they just booked out regular time. Just be glad if they actually did all the work at this point. I've worked on plenty of friends' bikes right after a service and found services only half done...ie oil filter not changed, only fluid reservoir fluid changed, spark plugs not changed, bolts not torqued and so on. Do as much as you can yourself and learn as much as you can..that way you know it gets done and done correctly.

You are probably stuck on this one and it is telling that they left the tps and throttle syn for last or at least said they did.

Best of luck with them

·
Registered
14,415 Posts
Should have had them do the TPS, throttle synch and tires first. The rest of it is stuff you may have done yourself.
You're paying for their tire machine with the tire changes, the actual time is nowhere near the labor charge.

That said, I think 6 hours is enough to have done everything. Maybe less than that depending on the stripped bolt issue. I am sure their tech is being super careful with your bike and going slower than he might with a POS Ducati or something....still, they should be done for the amount of time they have you down for now...in my opinion.
+10

·
Registered
4,587 Posts

What Ed said...,excellent advice!:)

Don't get 'sucked in' to getting them do 'stuff' that you could easily do yourself...as the 'meter is running...,and it all adds up so quickly!
Just get them 'in future' to do the 'hard stuff'.
Brian.

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
I wince a bit ( sorry ) when guys get all precious about the cost of a Bursig stand when faced with these kinds of charges for routine mechanicking..

But then I guess some of us don't want to wrench.

joe

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Well, I think that is kind of a reasonable labor time.
When You just go trough what really has to be done it seams to make sense to me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts