MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
at full lean, i have scraped my boots one more than one occasion. the idea of solid rearsets ever grabbing pavement and upsetting the bike is not a pleasant thought. also, i've had a friend have a lowside and the footpeg went into his leg. :jsm: wonder if that would have happened with folding pegs.

i know some like the solids for the rigidity and they can act as an extra "slider". some like folding for safety at full lean (doesn't yamaha have those little pegs at the bottom of their footpegs for lean warning?) just wondering what the collective thinks about either.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
footpeg through the leg sounds pretty unpleasant.

but i thought that the solid peg would also save your leg from getting crushed underneath as well....

i'm nowhere near scraping anything, much less a footpeg. people can get a sportbike footpeg down? Never thought much about it, but certainly if you can touch a footpeg, solid is not so nice....

CAG: What's a 'curb feeler' ?

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Curb feelers or curb finders are springs or wires installed on a vehicle which act as "whiskers" to warn drivers that they are too close to the curb or other obstruction.
The devices are fitted low on the body, close to the wheels. As the vehicle approaches the curb, the protruding 'feelers' act as whiskers and scrape against the curb, making a noise and alerting the driver in time to avoid damaging the wheels or hubcaps. The feelers are manufactured to be flexible and do not easily break.

It was a feeble attempt at humor.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Curb feelers or curb finders are springs or wires installed on a vehicle which act as "whiskers" to warn drivers that they are too close to the curb or other obstruction.
The devices are fitted low on the body, close to the wheels. As the vehicle approaches the curb, the protruding 'feelers' act as whiskers and scrape against the curb, making a noise and alerting the driver in time to avoid damaging the wheels or hubcaps. The feelers are manufactured to be flexible and do not easily break.

It was a feeble attempt at humor.
Actually a Ducati friend has something like that fitted on his bike.. a metal plate exact positioned to scrape the tarmac and make a sound just before his "lowsiding-right-now-position":) Works for him it seems!

Hey Carl, could you check out my question here:
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22553

/Thomas

·
Registered
673 Posts
My curb feelers are made out of plastic, and attached to my knees =)

Solid pegs. Really, if you're scraping your pegs, their either adjusted too low, or you're going down anyways.

·
Living the Dream
2,758 Posts
Fred, after my crash, i am all about solid, it would have saved me some money and not scratched up my tank and airbox. And at the rate you are going, you shouldn't have to worry about that for a while! hahah

CAG, i thought the curbfeeler was a pretty good addition, made me laugh

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, if i were you i would swap those rearsets for training wheels. just bend'em up to desired lean warning. you'll probably hit them long before you get a knee down. ;)

if i can't get comfortable on the sets i have now, then i will need some new ones. just didn't know if i wanted to give up the folding component. why would the factory made fold ups standard? wouldn't solid be cheaper to make anyway?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Fold ups are a governmental safety requirement from around 1971, Just like having all shift levers on the left and the shift pattern standard. Solid pegs always make me nervous. But I understand why they are liked for the track.
well, if i were you i would swap those rearsets for training wheels. just bend'em up to desired lean warning. you'll probably hit them long before you get a knee down. ;)

if i can't get comfortable on the sets i have now, then i will need some new ones. just didn't know if i wanted to give up the folding component. why would the factory made fold ups standard? wouldn't solid be cheaper to make anyway?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts